Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plan of Attack?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 10:37 PM
PsTaN
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Were I to pick a first project? .... I'd say bars if you want them. You'll turn some bolts, possibly remove the tank, fool with pin connectors, run wiring, and possibly change cables and re-route those. Also, always take the time cover stuff up you dont want scratched ..... one slipped wrench or dropped bolt can cause you to lose lots of sleep!!

You might also want to stop carrying stuff in your pockets ..... your wallet is soon going to be empty and you wont need it anymore!!

PsTaN

Last edited by PsTaN; 07-21-2009 at 10:43 PM.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:56 PM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 350 Likes on 217 Posts

Depends on what you want to do. If you want to hammer down some miles, a detachable windshield, highway pegs and a set of bags are a must. If you want some noise, you can do slip-ons without a re-map. I wanted to cool her down, so I did a Stage I, which required a SERT. My only regret is I should have spent a few hundred more and purchased the 2-1 V&H Pro Pipe over the less expensive slip-ons. The rest is fluff and is subject to what you like.

Old 07-21-2009, 11:03 PM
JakeInMa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Boy have you come to the right place!

Old 07-22-2009, 04:52 AM
YellowHawk
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree on getting the service manual. It has been a valuable tool for me. Another recommendation...get a HD catalog from the dealership. Find the parts you want in the catalog and start searching ebay for those parts...you'll have the prices from the catalog and you'll know if you are getting a good deal or not. I have bought most of my HD parts on ebay and all have been in excellent shape and I have saved in the thousands by buying that way. The only bad part is, sometimes you have to look on ebay for a few months to finally find, or finally win the part you are looking for at the price you want to pay. If you are not in a big hurry it's no big deal.

Old 07-22-2009, 06:32 AM
dyna07custom
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by thedonthere
+1 on the manual and get a jack as well.
+1 best 2 things you can buy also a tourqe wrench if you do not have 1

Old 07-22-2009, 06:32 AM
shimmon
Outstanding HDF Member

like others have said... SERVICE MANUAL!!! jack, hd parts and acc. catalog. chicago harley sells parts at a discount, along with other dealers, zanotti, surdyke. pick you closest so you dont have to pay more for shipping. look at bikes on here and see what moves you. ask questions about the bikes you like, people are more than willing to tell you about mods and what not on their bikes!!!

also want a good set or torx and allen head sockets... be sure to look real close at fasteners, those torx can look like allen if you not careful... then you get into another box of worms...

you'll want to do lots of research before you buy something, b/c you dont want sell it b/c you find something else you like better. but dont worry if that happens, it will eventually happen.

you have a great bike to start modding... ride two up??? you gonna want a seat, pegs, and maybe a sissy bar... stage 1 is a great first mod... will get you into the workings of your bike and its pretty simple job.

and one more thing....

USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION!
(just about every question has been asked, but sometimes new products/ideas/opinions change...)

Old 07-22-2009, 10:30 AM
MyBeerBelly
Tourer

Service manual, parts book, and a good jack....all a must
First MOD....get some pipes and make it roar!
Second MOD....powdercoat, powdercoat, powdercoat
good luck

Old 07-22-2009, 11:10 AM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

First congrats on the new bike. Ride for a while and when you hang out check out other bikes and see what they've done and decide what you like and don't like.

Get a couple of catalogs: HD, Fat Book, JP cycles... and check out what they're offering.

Surf the web. There is a ton of stuff to see and to get ideas. This board is a great source to get info.

Decide how best to spend you $'s. Performance vs appearance.

Bottom line is to come up with a general plan and be prepared to change things. I don't think you are ever totally finished. There is always something to tweak and thats part of the fun.

Good luck.

Old 07-22-2009, 11:14 AM
red69camaro
Tourer

Just ride..

Old 07-22-2009, 12:23 PM
icecaps
Reading More Posting Less
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by croweman6
I was told getting all the engine components powder coated may be a better alternative to getting covers.
Well at this point you are talking about disassembling the engine and splitting the cases. Huge job, especially on a new bike that otherwise doesn't require it. Personally I think the silver engine is fine, part of having a SuperGlide. Makes a nice contrast when surrounded by black components.

Start slow, Ride a lot, and research how other people have done the mods you are considering. Search function - learning from other people's successes and failures is a great way to do the job smarter and save money.

Learn what other part sources are out there besides HD. Seats, shocks, bars, engine components, and ect. can by found cheaper and better quality.

Here's a couple of threads with others have done with their SG:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...perglides.html
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...seriously.html

And the SuperGlide roll call:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...ides-rule.html

Quick Reply: Plan of Attack?