Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to Tell....???? (UPDATED 6/10)

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 02:16 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Default RE: How to Tell....????

Here in Ohio you would be able to contact the state Attorney General's office fraud unit and file a claim. I had a car dealer do that with a lease on a "new demo" and after 1 call from the Attorney General's office took the car back and gave me a brand new one with a complimentary 100,000 mile extended warranty. If you have any remedy like that where you live, I would look into it.

Old 05-24-2006, 02:18 PM
kaduku
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: How to Tell....????

Hafa Adai!
Bro, coming from the islands, I know you have a temper, and I commend you for not going ballistic on this guy (yet). Yes, have them put in writing before mentioning anything about courts, suit, or BBB. Good luck!

Old 06-10-2006, 06:35 AM
Islander
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How to Tell....???? (UPDATED)

Not having received any convincing information from the dealer as to whether or not the Stage II was actually done on my FXDWGI prior to my purchase, I tore into the heads this morning. Removing the front head confirmed my worst suspicion. The bike is stone cold stock 1450cc with a Stage I air cleaner.

I immediately phoned the dealer and asked them to again confirm that the bike was in fact Stage II 1550cc. The SM said "yes, I'm sure". I again asked if he was sure and he said he personally ordered the kit and had it installed since he was riding the bike as a demo and thinking of buying it. Then I told him that I had pulled the head and the cylinder was stock 3.75" bore...........

DEAD SILENCE............

"F%&K!" he says. Then gave me some song about the mechanic who did the work doesn't work there anymore (but he could'nt remember his name!!), then said HE must have been ripped off by the mechanic!!!!! I told him I wasn't sure what he was sold, but I was pretty damned sure what ***I*** was sold and I wanted it made right. After a few choice exchanges, he agreed to order and send me the Stage II kit no charge. Since I have it torn down I'll DIY the mod, since I don't want them anywhere near the bike. I already have SERT so ecm won't be a problem.

So, to all who get that sneaking feeling that something isn't quite right with what the dealership told you, follow through on it. And if they tell you they've done some work on it, make them prove it. Words are worthless when it comes to confirming that what we've gotten is what we've paid for.

As Ronald Reagan used to say, "Trust, but verify."

Caveat Emptor, especially when it comes to HD dealerships!!!!! May they all rot in hell.

Islander

[quote]ORIGINAL: Islander

I'm in the unenviable position of possibly having been lied to by the dealer that I bought my 2004 DGWI from. (like that never happens to anyone else, eh?)
I bought the bike in August '05. It had 2480 miles on the odo. At the time of purchase, the "sales manager" represented the bike as having been riden by him as a "demo". He told me (in the presence of others) that the bike had SE Stage II (1550, cams, A/C).

I'm getting ready to change the exhaust and perhaps do some other mods, so I purchased the SERT to remap after the changes (I wanted to play with the SERT ahead of time to get over the learning curve). I also thought that, instead of re-creating the ECM map, I'd ask the dealer if they have the map they loaded when the Stage II was done, figuring that would save me some time (and I'd be willing to pay for the map if need be).

Well, it got interesting when I inquired about the availability of the map. Initially, the "sales manager" said there was no need to remap if I only changed the pipes. When I said (diplomatically) I'd just feel better if the map was modified for the pipes, he clamed up. When I inquired (several times over the last few weeks) if he could confirm what mods were done on the bike, he never replied. Suffice to say there is now confusion and a building lack of trust in what he says/doesn't say. I've now been told by an employee (that I trust) at the dealer that the bike actually had an owner (not the "sales manager"), so I don't know what the build is on the bike or what it's history is. The SE A/C is there, but that's the extent of what I know now. This employee is now working inside the dealership trying to find out the truth about the bike and the supposed mods that were/werenot done. I now doubt that the 2480 miles were the true mileage, and I wonder if it's not a stock 1450. The word "fraud" keeps popping up in my head and I kind of like the idea of owning an HD dealership (perhaps acquired through a court settlement???....... hehehehe) =)

Any quick way(s) to tell what's what on my WG, short of pulling the heads? I already gather there's no way to determine if the cam was changed without pulling