Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

forward controls on my 08 FXDL

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 08:04 PM
labou1
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up forward controls on my 08 FXDL

I installed forward controls on my 2008 LoRider shortly after I purchased it. I got them from my HD dealer and it was a complete kit. I do most of my own work so I figured it wouldn't be that big a deal.
Well, it has been on for about 7,000 mile now and the plug started leaking on the outside of the chain case where the mid control shifter shaft goes through. I took it out, cleaned it and reapplied locktite red, like the directions said to do when installed, and put it back in.
Well, the back hole started leaking and there was nothinn in the kit to plug this hole off with so I tried the same thing as I did in the front. I went to the hardware store and got a 1/2" metal furniture plug, buttered it up with locktite red and put it in. Boy that was a joke, it has alredy started leaking.
I pulled both plugs, and when I looked through the shaft where the old shifter went through I see that the "tower gasket" had slipped where the front and back halves of the chain case come together. Luckley, I put in a 3/8" rod and managed to get it back in place, I HOPE. I manufactured a 1/2" hollow shaft and threaded a 3/8" all metal lock nut in the back sealed with locktite red and a 3/8" button head chrome bolt into it from the front also doctored with locktite red.
SO FAR, SO GOOD!!!
Just though it might save someone some big head aches trying to fix an oil leak after installing forward controls.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:19 PM
Don51
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After reading that, I'm glad I left the mid shifter shaft in there!!

Old 07-20-2009, 08:40 PM
SuperFastGlide
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the tower gasket is all that stops oil from entering the shaft passageway.. the little plug on the outside of your primary is purely cosmetic.. i took my outer primary cover off and plugged both sides from the inside with 9/16 freeze plugs from NAPA after my tower gast slipped...

Old 07-20-2009, 09:30 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by labou1
.....I put in a 3/8" rod and managed to get it back in place, I HOPE. I manufactured a 1/2" hollow shaft and threaded a 3/8" all metal lock nut in the back sealed with locktite red and a 3/8" button head chrome bolt into it from the front also doctored with locktite red.
That will work... till you want to pull the primary cover off.... then you're gonna curse yourself for putting that locktite red on it...

The freeze plug method is really the best way to go. But kudos for coming up with your own fix.