Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 10:29 AM
DGDyna
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Windshield

(Ignore this post if you frown upon answering a commonly asked question)

I’ve done my due diligence and search for windshield information. And “Yes”. There is a lot of information out there about it but it give’s conflicting views.

I want a windshield to keep the wind off of me. From what I’ve read, a windshield will only keep the wind from hitting me directly. I’ll still have to deal with “buffeting” (my guess is that buffeting means getting your head bounced around).

Solutions?? Fork bag, front fork air baffles, tilt it forward, tilt it back, full coverage helmet (what about my chest?), crash bars with wind deflectors, fairing …

My ’09 FXD is stock except for highway pegs and the Harley Front Signal Lowering kit.

So? What works for the majority of you?

Old 07-20-2009, 10:42 AM
remike
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I got the HD detachable touring model for my 09 super glide custom. Couldn't be happier. I have not noticed any increase in buffeting, no more than w/o the windshield. The only thing I have noticed is that I may not have needed the touring model and may get it cut down.

Old 07-20-2009, 10:44 AM
trip20
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

The reason you see conflicting views is because it's a trial and error kind of thing. When you purchase your shield and put it on the bike you'll need to try all of the things that you've read.

What you'll see in this thread is a repeat of all the conflicting views you read in your search thus far.

My experience... I only feel buffeting when wearing a helmet, which is not that often. If you don't wear a helmet there's a good chance you won't need to do anything. It's when that bubble head helmet sticks up in the more turbulent area just above the windshield that you feel the wind vibrating your head. Again... that's only my experience.

As far as your chest... I can smoke a cigarette behind my windshield so it's not that turbulent down in your face/chest area.

Old 07-20-2009, 10:50 AM
DGDyna
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Wyde Glyde Bry
I can smoke a cigarette behind my windshield so it's not that turbulent down in your face/chest area.
What kind of windshield do you have and what is your configuration (i.e. fork bag, baffle, etc)?

Old 07-20-2009, 10:58 AM
thedonthere
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're going to get many different opinions on this.Here's mine. I had a HDQD windshield. I spent a whole Saturday adjusting that thing every which way and testing it.On Sunday, I put it on the classifieds and sold it. I could never get the buffeting tolerable.No matter how I adjusted it, it beat the sh*t outta me.I bought a Bell full face helmet and never looked back.

Old 07-20-2009, 11:21 AM
06flstf
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wife and I are going through the same self discovery on putting windshields on my Fatboy and her Deluxe. We riding to Ky in a couple of weeks and would like to decide, buy and try something before we leave.

Old 07-20-2009, 11:22 AM
trip20
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by DGDyna
What kind of windshield do you have and what is your configuration (i.e. fork bag, baffle, etc)?
I just have one of the HD Quick Release Standard Height windshields. I have no fork bag or any other trick configuration.

I do have a 2" tank lift kit from jackyl, which has been purported by some to cut down on the buffeting (I didn't notice a difference), but that's about it.

Don't get me wrong, it's not a calm spring breeze behind my shield... I still cup the cigarette in my palm.

Old 07-20-2009, 11:27 AM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DGDyna

I want a windshield to keep the wind off of me. From what I’ve read, a windshield will only keep the wind from hitting me directly. I’ll still have to deal with “buffeting” (my guess is that buffeting means getting your head bounced around).
If you mean completely off your arms, chest, and head, then a fairing is your only choice. What about your legs? If all you want to do is take some pressure off your chest and deflect bugs, then a small deflector is all you need. Smaller deflectors and fairings will be easier to tune out the buffeting (depending on your size and riding style you get different effects). Everything else is in between and you've heard a lot of the conflicting stories.

The full face helmet is the best way to go, or get yourself something with plenty of room for bags, seats two comfortably, can drive for days without a sore but, keeps you dry, adjustable for some wind, no wind, lots of wind... heat... air conditioning..... a nice two seat convertible sports car...

Old 07-20-2009, 12:12 PM
DSnoopy
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I really like my HD Sport Shield. No buffeting issues and keeps just enough wind off my chest.

Old 07-20-2009, 12:35 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Different sized people are going to have different results and then add in all of the different sized windshields to the mix and the reviews are going to be all over the place. Also, some people seem to not be able to tolerate anything but perfection and so they complain about things other people can live with. If I wanted the affect of riding in a car, well, I'd ride in my car or truck. I have the HD Quick Detach windshield but I almost never use it. I'm just not a windshield type of guy. I don't need it in most situations and I don't care for how it looks on my bike. But I found that it helps with the quick detachable model to adjust the windshield up and down between the trees to get it just right.

Quick Reply: Windshield