Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 07:35 AM
PKellyMc
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: PacNW; Beacon of Conservatism in a Sea of Liberals.......AZ Snowbird; Just another Conservative
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

When I first got my bike, the buffeting was a real annoyance (HDQD). I couldn't tell you when, but at some point the buffeting went away...I know, it sounds just as weird in my own head as I type this. Only thing I did, outside of trying every mounting position possible between the trees (even ABOVE the top tree after raising the forktubes in the trees), was install a cheapie standard-size windshield bag.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:00 AM
Airborne350G
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I do not have buffeting with my HD quick release. But mine came with a windshield bag so I could not say if it is the bag.

Old 07-21-2009, 10:08 AM
richdeerht
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been through much of the same issues with turbulence. I put the Super Sport HD QD windshield on my FXDCI last year for my trip to Rolling Thunder. I have a fork-mounted toolbag. I was getting mild turbulence. Sunglasses jiggle. I added a link to allow the windshield to be raked back more than the stock adjustment allows (got the idea from the forum here), and I get a little more air, but it's less turbulent. I have not yet tried my lowers since I did the windshield rake. It's an ongoing process, but I like it better than no shield at all.

Old 07-21-2009, 10:18 PM
Evil Stepdad
Road Captain

I just broke down and bought the HD QR standard height windshield for my Fat Bob for our trip to Sturgis next week. I don't notice any buffeting, at least not worse than 80 mph winds trying to rip me off my bike through the Palouse in Eastern Washington, which is what made me decide to get a windshield in the first place!

Old 07-21-2009, 10:26 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

Now you know why I have a windshield almost all the time!

Holler next time you go through!

Old 07-22-2009, 04:54 AM
YellowHawk
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I got the HD detachable windshield for mine and I like it. I don't seem to have any buffeting problems or if I do it doesn't bother me that much. I don't have any complaints other than the fact that I don't like the look with the windshield on. I use it in the winter and pull it off for the rest of the year. I put it back on if I have a longer trip planned.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:18 AM
YourOldDog
Cruiser

You may have already read my lack of luck but if not, here it is.

I have the HDQD full size shield. I am 5'10" nowadays! I wear a helmet but not full face. With windshield raised all the way up on the forks the wind is quiet about 12" above the top of my helmet. The buffetting comes from under the bike right up over my kneecaps and next to the tank. If you hold your hands over your knee the buffetting stops. I have tilted in all directions and raised and lowered and done the fork bag and air damn and nothing really helped much except tilting the windshield all the way back toward me and lowering the shield so that the wind OVER the shield just touches the top of my helmet, this "relieves" some of the air buffetting on the chin to the point that the double vision don't show up till about 70mph which is an improvement. The only thing I have not tried yet but certainly will is the air deflectors mounted on the crash bars. I've read where these absolutly solve the problem but I haven't experianced it yet as the type of deflectors are Ucking Fgly

Old 07-22-2009, 10:02 AM
DGDyna
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It sounds like the HDQD and a 2" tank lift might be the way to go.

Old 07-22-2009, 03:03 PM
Royce
Stellar HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Have you looked at the National Cycle deflector screens yet? I had one for 9 years on my Sporty and 2 years now on my FXDC, it works pretty good. They're fairly inexpensive and are easy to install and remove. Admittedly, they're not the sharpest looking things for your bike, but they do a good job of keeping the wind and road trash off of your chest and face. If you're interested, let me know and I'll send you a couple of pictures.

Old 07-22-2009, 03:12 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DGDyna
It sounds like the HDQD and a 2" tank lift might be the way to go.
I think the tank lift might help. Maybe that's why I have no complaints. However, the more I ride, the more I enjoy riding without the shield, no matter how far I'm going. It's nice with a shield, don't get me wrong, but I don't feel I need it most times. If riding in the rain on your trip is a possibility, though, don't leave it at home. That's when it makes all the difference in the world. On a long trip, I don't agree that the wind that is going to knock the snot out of you. It's definitely doable. But ride with the shield and you'll certainly notice the difference as far as fatigue goes.

Quick Reply: Windshield