Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear tire change question

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 03:38 PM
JasonDee
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear tire change question

It's time for me to put a new rear tire on my 09 Street Bob, I figured to save some $$$ i'd pull it off myself and just have the dealer swap the tires and balance the new one. Question is do I need to pull off the sprocket and or rotor when I take it to the shop? They won't be open till tuesday so if anyone could tell me before then I'd appreciate it. Also while looking for a new rear tire I saw alot of people bashing the stock k591 tire but I have 10,500 miles on my stock tire, half of that riding 2up so I guess it all depends on which batch of tires you get.

Old 07-19-2009, 03:47 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonDee
It's time for me to put a new rear tire on my 09 Street Bob, I figured to save some $$$ i'd pull it off myself and just have the dealer swap the tires and balance the new one. Question is do I need to pull off the sprocket and or rotor when I take it to the shop? They won't be open till tuesday so if anyone could tell me before then I'd appreciate it. Also while looking for a new rear tire I saw alot of people bashing the stock k591 tire but I have 10,500 miles on my stock tire, half of that riding 2up so I guess it all depends on which batch of tires you get.
Also depends on the road surfaces that you ride on. The roads around where I live have a very sharp chipped aggregate. My K591 only lasted 5500 miles.

No, you should not have to pull the sprocket or rotor.

I put a D407 back on my rear wheel.... really like the tire so far... 3400 miles and she is fine.

How the bike is setup from the dealer I think has big factor on how it handles and tire wear. Since I also took the wheel off and someone mount/balance the new one... I performed the wheel alignment and vehicle alignment as well. She handles much better than before... and not just because of the new tire... I mean the whole high speed wobblem - rear tire steer... and such as well.

Old 07-19-2009, 03:48 PM
bberck
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You leave the rotor and sprocket on it. They are attached to the wheel so the wheel needs to be balanced with them on it.

Old 07-19-2009, 04:08 PM
JasonDee
Intermediate

Thanks for the quick reply guys, I'm glad to hear you like the d407 cuz that's what I bought for a replacement, the k591 lasted fine on my bike but I like the look of the d407 better.

Old 07-19-2009, 04:15 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member

Yeah, the D407 almost gives it a "low profile" look... it handles well also.... corners well enough for me to scrape the bottom of the heatshield of my front pipe... that's plenty for me..

Old 07-19-2009, 04:46 PM
thedonthere
Outstanding HDF Member

Did we ever decide if the D407 was a dual compound tire?

Old 07-19-2009, 04:57 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member

Yup.... it is not. Confirmation from \ Dunlop through email and phone (personally).... both people absolute dicks I might add.

Old 07-19-2009, 05:15 PM
JasonDee
Intermediate

Sounds good for me, i should be able to get it installed and test ride tues. afternoon/night.

Old 07-19-2009, 05:24 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member

Yeah, it is still a great tire and I like the way it handles much better than the K591....

The two "richards" at dunlop even told me I couldn't put a radial on my bike.....

Old 07-19-2009, 07:40 PM
SuperFastGlide
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

website states it IS a dual compound tire.... intresting

Quick Reply: Rear tire change question