Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some guidance for 1999 FXDX

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 12:57 AM
lunloon
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need some guidance for 1999 FXDX

Hi guys,

I have a 1999 FXDX. Didn't come with the service manual nor any manual at all, hence am at quite a loss. Tried to buy from ebay but will take quite some time, hence hopefully I can ask accurate questions and get some answers.

Problem
My speedo is showing wrong speeds. Definitely. The first time it happens I was only throttling less than 1.5k rpm, but the speed went up to 120km/h when it feels more like 60km/h. When i stopped to check, I found a piece of something with cables from topside into a box with more cables into the transmission casing on the left front of the bike dangling and the cable tie which held it onto something (i guess is the frame) broke. So I cable tie it back to the frame and the speed read fine onwards. Problem solved.... This was 2 weeks ago. Today, went for a ride. Am throttling about 3k rpm, feels like 100++ km/h, but the speedo was showing 50-60 km/h. Reverse of what had happened originally. Check the box, it was still cable-tied nicely. So ...

Questions:
1. Anyone have any idea what that small box with cables in and out that I cable-tied to the frame is?

2. How is the speedometer affected by this piece of thing?

3. Can easily rectify?

4. Does the 1999 FXDX comes with a speedo with diagnostics? I know my 2004 XLR came with it, so when i tried pressing the **** behind and turn the key, it just say clear.

Don't like the feeling of riding at 100km/h but meter shows me 50km/h.

Last edited by lunloon; 07-17-2009 at 01:33 AM.
Old 07-17-2009, 07:46 AM
DXrider
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A shop manual will help you a lot. Trust me it's worth the cash. I had a similar problem with my speedo. I rode home from work one night and it read twice the speed I was actually at. I shut the bkie down, started it back up and it's worked fine since. I'll have to investigate if it happens again. I 've put on 200+ miles and it has yet to happen again. I'll go read my shop manual and get back to you.

Old 07-17-2009, 07:57 AM
red69camaro
Tourer

I have a 99fxdx and I've had the speedo wackout a few times. I always figured it was moisture.

Old 07-17-2009, 10:05 AM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,817 Likes on 2,546 Posts

The speedometer sensor is located on top of the transmission just behing the tranny cover. It has an allen bolt/screw holding it in, remove the sensor and check for crud on the sensor , clean and reinstall. Check the connection under the seat, a three wire plug, disconnect and clean it, reconnect. Last check your your ground cables at the frame and battery connections for tightness/corrosion. Disconnect ground first.

Old 07-17-2009, 03:54 PM
lunloon
Cruiser

Originally Posted by DXrider
A shop manual will help you a lot. Trust me it's worth the cash. I had a similar problem with my speedo. I rode home from work one night and it read twice the speed I was actually at. I shut the bkie down, started it back up and it's worked fine since. I'll have to investigate if it happens again. I 've put on 200+ miles and it has yet to happen again. I'll go read my shop manual and get back to you.
Yah, I am trying to grab one off ebay. Now waiting for the bids to end.

I re-cable tie it back and now it reads well again.

Old 07-17-2009, 03:54 PM
lunloon
Cruiser

Originally Posted by red69camaro
I have a 99fxdx and I've had the speedo wackout a few times. I always figured it was moisture.
i tot so too but it was only wet one day and today was very dry.

Old 07-17-2009, 03:55 PM
lunloon
Cruiser

Originally Posted by seniorsuperglideE8
The speedometer sensor is located on top of the transmission just behing the tranny cover. It has an allen bolt/screw holding it in, remove the sensor and check for crud on the sensor , clean and reinstall. Check the connection under the seat, a three wire plug, disconnect and clean it, reconnect. Last check your your ground cables at the frame and battery connections for tightness/corrosion. Disconnect ground first.
i think i better wait till i win the ebay bids on the manual before attempting to screw anything i have no idea about.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:04 AM
red69camaro
Tourer

Hey,
Now I remember.. I did clean out the sensor like senior said. I haven't had a problem with it in ages.

Old 07-20-2009, 10:50 PM
lunloon
Cruiser

Originally Posted by red69camaro
Hey,
Now I remember.. I did clean out the sensor like senior said. I haven't had a problem with it in ages.
ok thanks for the affirmation. Now to get my manual soon.