Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed a Supertrapp Supermeg, now a question

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 12:10 PM
overhead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Installed a Supertrapp Supermeg, now a question

I ordered a Supertrapp Supermeg 2-1 pipe from Fuel Moto along with a new map for the PCIII last week. The UPS man brought them two days ago and I was able to get it installed in one afternoon. It was not the easiest thing I have ever done, but not really that bad. A little pushing and pulling to get the header pipes installed.

Anyway, I am getting a little decel popping. Not real bad, but I am concerned I may have a leak where the front header pipe bolts to the head. Yep, I replaced the crush gaskets and tighten everything per specs in the owners manual. I am trying to figure out a simple way to check for the leak. I tried feeling for it but the pipes get hot real quick and I could not feel anything other than intense heat . If there is a leak it is not major as I cannot hear it when I rev the bike or when I ride. Anyone have a simple way to check this? I tried having my girlfriend hold a rag over the end of the pipe but it is not that easy with the supertrapp disk system to get a decent seal and she complained her hands were burning . In the short time she was able to restrict the flow a little I did not hear any hissing or other noise that might indicate a leak. I considered spraying some soap/water solution on it to see if it blows any bubbles, but I am not sure that will work. Any help would be appreciated.

If the leak is not at the header pipe I am not to worried about it. My concern is a leak at the head itself might burn a valve.

If anyone is interested I can post a video of the pipes on the bike, currently I am running 18 disks. I like the sound of the pipes, louder and deeper than stock, but not as loud as the Fat Cats. And it "feels" as though it has a little more pull on the low end. It was not dynoed so I do not know for sure.

Old 07-16-2009, 12:16 PM
bubbleb
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if the bike is running too lean it could cause decel pop. have u had it on a dyno?

Old 07-16-2009, 12:19 PM
overhead
Outstanding HDF Member

Nope, I did not have it dyno'ed. Jamie@Fuel Moto sent me a new map for my set up and I think it is OK. I put new plugs in at the same time I installed the pipes and the color looks good when I pulled them. Just a little tan.

I do not mind the popping really, it does not bother me. I just want to make sure I do not burn a valve.

Old 07-16-2009, 12:35 PM
SuperglideKen
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I can help you out. I just went through this a few months back. Sounds like you replaced the Gasket but with which one? I tried and tried to get the SE Gasket to work and it just would not seal. I read on here other people having the same trouble. Once I tried the Stock Gasket it sealed real good. The stock are bigger and fatter than the Screaming eagle one's. To check for a leak the best way is to get an INCENSE and light it and get it going real good. Be where there is no wind like in your grarage. Start her up and hold the incense below the exhaust ports and let it float straight up. If there is any leaks you will see the smoke move around. You get the idea so go try it and let us know how it worked for you.

Old 07-16-2009, 12:36 PM
paul s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I always retorque after a few miles, the soapy water should work, I've seen people blowing smoke on them also. How does the finish on those pipes look? I ran SuperTrapps on my 85 Ninja and really liked them and I'm thinking about getting the SuperMeg.

Old 07-16-2009, 12:41 PM
Smiley51
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did the let it run like go for a ride. Come back let it cool alittle and wipe the exhaust header with a white rag and see if there is any black on the rag. If theres black then you have a leak.

Old 07-16-2009, 12:50 PM
overhead
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by superglideken
I can help you out. I just went through this a few months back. Sounds like you replaced the Gasket but with which one? I tried and tried to get the SE Gasket to work and it just would not seal. I read on here other people having the same trouble. Once I tried the Stock Gasket it sealed real good. The stock are bigger and fatter than the Screaming eagle one's. To check for a leak the best way is to get an INCENSE and light it and get it going real good. Be where there is no wind like in your grarage. Start her up and hold the incense below the exhaust ports and let it float straight up. If there is any leaks you will see the smoke move around. You get the idea so go try it and let us know how it worked for you.
Hey, thanks! That is a good idea. I happen to have a pile of incense in my attic. I will give it a shot.

I asked for the stock gaskets, I am not sure which ones I received. The part number is:
65324-83B. The Supertrapp instructions recommend 65324-83A. I did not notice that until I looked just now. No idea what the difference is between the A and B gasket, anyone know?

Old 07-16-2009, 12:54 PM
overhead
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by paul s
I always retorque after a few miles, the soapy water should work, I've seen people blowing smoke on them also. How does the finish on those pipes look? I ran SuperTrapps on my 85 Ninja and really liked them and I'm thinking about getting the SuperMeg.
I think the black finish looks good. Unfortunately the heat shield on the rear header was a little chipped from shipping. I am hoping to get another from Supertrapp, I just haven't gotten around to calling them yet. I will post up a video at some point after I get this leak thing squared away. During the troubleshooting process I also managed to melt a little glove on the shield, I will see if I can get that off at some point I suppose

Last edited by overhead; 07-16-2009 at 12:57 PM.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:56 PM
Smiley51
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your supposed to get one of each. A is for front cylinder and B is for back

Old 07-16-2009, 01:04 PM
overhead
Outstanding HDF Member

That is odd, the supertrapp instructions only list one part number and the old gaskets look exactly the same. Why would they be different?

Quick Reply: Installed a Supertrapp Supermeg, now a question