Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed a Supertrapp Supermeg, now a question

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 01:09 PM
Smiley51
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by overhead
That is odd, the supertrapp instructions only list one part number and the old gaskets look exactly the same. Why would they be different?
Dude I'm just messin with ya...........ya know that don'y ya?

Old 07-16-2009, 01:09 PM
SuperglideKen
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You got the right gasket -83B Both the same, front and back.

Old 07-16-2009, 01:12 PM
overhead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Smiley51
Dude I'm just messin with ya...........ya know that don'y ya?
Well I figured you were but being that I am the one that is begging for help here I did not want to be a smart *** back

Old 07-16-2009, 01:15 PM
Smiley51
Road Captain

Well I figured you were but being that I am the one that is begging for help here I did not want to be a smart *** back
It's the rules................ya have to be a smart *** back

Old 07-16-2009, 01:23 PM
overhead
Outstanding HDF Member

OK then, I will return to my normal smart *** self as soon as you guys help me fix this problem. It seems wise not to **** anyone off until I have gotten the information I want from them first

Old 07-16-2009, 01:32 PM
Smiley51
Road Captain

OK then, I will return to my normal smart *** self as soon as you guys help me fix this problem. It seems wise not to **** anyone off until I have gotten the information I want from them first
There ya go smart move!

Old 07-16-2009, 01:34 PM
overhead
Outstanding HDF Member

I used the incense, the front header pipe is leaking right where I thought it was. I will have to run up to the dealership and pick up some new gaskets, I do not want to push my luck with a crush gasket on the second "crushing". Thanks guys, I will let you know how it turns out. At least I am familiar with taking the pipe off and putting it back on again .

Old 07-16-2009, 02:15 PM
tbrenan
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have these on my 07 FXD and the popping stopped after a couple of hard rides BUT the pipes turned BLUE and YELLOW over the whole length----particularily at the joint going into the muffler.

My heat shields did not fit correctly---Supertrapp replaced without question (sent them a picture) BUT!!!! I now notice the shields mount tight to the pipes---not much of a shield when they can transmit the header heat---looking in to some type of support to move the shield off of the headers.

Old 07-16-2009, 03:03 PM
overhead
Outstanding HDF Member

I have the black pipes so I do not think color change will be a problem. My heat shields fit OK and do not sit on the pipe as you described. Maybe I have an updated version. There is no doubt after my smoke test that the front header pipe is leaking at the gasket. It blew incense smoke and ashes right into my face . I am just hoping for a little rain now so I have an excuse not to mow the grass so I have more time to work on the bike.

I picked up a couple of new gaskets and I will give it another shot. A little more carefully this time......and maybe less beer.

Old 07-16-2009, 03:59 PM
kk6pg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

I've got teh chrome 2-1, and the discoloration back at the muffler doesnt bother me. Kinda like the golden color. Besides, I didnt buy it for the looks.

I used the SE gaskets, and didnt get the best of seal with them. After a 200 mile hard run, I re-torqued them and the system seated nicely. The trick is to be extremely patient when tweaking the headpipes to put them on.

Set the rear on first, run both nuts a couple of threads, then tweak the front pipe on. Go back to the rear and give it a healthy tug to reseat it, then do the same to the front. When you torque the nuts, start at 50 inch pounds, and work all 4 nuts. go back over them 2 more times. then set the wrench to 100 and repeat the procedure. Then go run the wheels off it and retorque it again.

The difference between running the SE gaskets and the stock ones are minimal, but noticeable on a dyno. The stock gaskets will crush into the exhaust port and restrict the flow, and choke off about 10% of the power gains of running the Supertrapp.

Also, 16 disks is perfect for a stock motor and hi flow filter. Dont add any more unless you're doing motor work. You can run as low as 12 and your neighbors will never know when you come and go.

A little decel popping doesnt mean you're running lean. It means you have an exhaust leak. Decel backfires and blowing flames out your pipes means you're running lean. A common misnomer.

Quick Reply: Installed a Supertrapp Supermeg, now a question