Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Windshield Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006 | 02:35 AM
eleutheros
|
Road Master
Default Need Windshield Help

Other than not using one, I'd like to know if someone has a good windshield for the Wide Glide? I like my turn signals where they are, and the HD quick release mid size wasn't tall enough, and the tall made my head rattle so bad by putting all the wind on my head that all the headlights ahead of me vibrated no matter how I sat, and it had all kinds of light refraction so I could hardly see through it.

Thanks.

[IMG]local://upfiles/7206/69DCE85967304676B2EE13618907CC1E.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-23-2006 | 03:56 PM
TampaJim
Road Master
Default RE: Need Windshield Help

Cut the tall one off until it suits you. I cut a compac to 12" above the head light to reduce the buffetting.

Old 05-23-2006 | 08:50 PM
but Ill try 2 try
Road Warrior

I have the HD standard height clear quick detach on my bob. It's great, wind goes over my head by a few inches, and I have minimal buffeting. Of course the angle of your forks makes it a different fit, but that's just my opinion on my WS's fit.

Old 05-24-2006 | 02:30 AM
mtb017
Advanced

I got the quick release standard height for my 06 wide glide. The short one, is as you say, useless. It did take several runs on the interstate to finally get the windshield adjusted for my height (5'10) with minimal buffeting over 60mph. Adjusted at the lowest position between the trees, the front end was squirrely. All the way up caused too much buffeting from below. A position a bit more than halfway was my best compromise. Also dont forget to take the visor off your helmet! Much of the buffeting at speed is caused by this often overlooked part. Presently there is only one HD windshield for the new glide. I've ridden previous year wide glides and softails that performed better than this new model. I believe that the narrow profile of this new shield and the increased rake for 06 of the new glide, cause the problems you discuss. It is however, much better on long runs at highway speeds than without one by the end of the day!
The wide glide is not a touring bike and never will be.

Old 05-24-2006 | 12:42 PM
Spectrexx
Tourer

Hmmm... I have the stock windshield on my Dyna Convertible and I get no wobble or anything at speeds up to 135 mph (on the 1 mile track). I've heard that the Memphis Shades are excellent, too. Check out jpcycles.com and see what they have. They aren't very expensive and are better then the HD ones. I've never heard any complaints about them. BTW, a windshield is the "correct" height if the top is even with your nose. That ensures that most of the wind is deflected over your head. It's the horizontal profile that can cause buffeting.

Old 05-24-2006 | 01:17 PM
jkenosh
Cruiser

i have the harley standard on my 06 wide glide. It does buffet over 70 but not to much with the windscreen up all the way. I hear that a tank lift will help some of the buffeting go away, this pushes alot of the air under the tank instead of over it.

Old 07-15-2006 | 05:48 PM
eleutheros
|
Road Master

Thanks for the responses.
I solved a lot of the problem with a hard leather tool bag over the headlight. It deflects nearly all the wind away from my chest and head, just not the bugs and rocks.
I may try The Memphis Shades in the fall.
My wife said I should have gotten a touring bike, just because she saw all the goodies, but she has never ridden with me, so I ride what I like, and I like to ride with just the wide open spaces. Only with my last bike did I make a consession for a windshield, and it was good for bugs, rocks, and wind. It didn't help with the rain though.

Old 07-17-2006 | 03:22 AM
Desighitter
Stage IV

The problem with the WG's are the air that rushes over the sides of the tank, along your legs, and up your chest. When you find a decent looking windshield, or lowers, that solve that problem, let me know.