Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Talk me off the ledge, quick?!?!? A NEW Street Bob?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 07:15 PM
reesestewww
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Exclamation Talk me off the ledge, quick?!?!? A NEW Street Bob?!?!?

I found a 2007 with ~4,000 miles at a local dealer. As I was taking it for a ride we got onto the express way and the bike suddenly lost all power under acceleration and HUGE clouds of white smoke came pouring out the back. Once back to the deal I told the sales man "well that will kill a sale!" He immediately took it to the back and a tech determined that due to the bike sitting oil had gone back into the air filter creating all the smoke. They said it would be fien, but to be honest I wasn't really interested in the bike by this point.

So, as i was waiting I was standing next to one of the 4 2009 Street Bob's. The Salesman said they are taking $500 off, plus no dealer or prep fee. We started working numbers and I got negotiated the Demin Black at the Vivid Black price an addtional $345 off Though it was odd that Demin is considered a color. So that's about ~$1,360 off what the bike would normally cost. Thoughts on the deal??

My Wife isnt real happy, I do have negitive equity in the Honda Shadow and this will increase my payments. That's my real delima at this point. I hate doing something that she doesnt support, its just not as pleasureable. My friends say she'll get over it.

So do I do it, Do I jump? I'm sure i wont be sleeping tonight.

Thanks for your support.

R

Attached Thumbnails Talk me off the ledge, quick?!?!? A NEW Street Bob?!?!?-img_0348.jpg   Talk me off the ledge, quick?!?!? A NEW Street Bob?!?!?-img_0343.jpg  
Old 07-13-2009, 07:21 PM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

i've had two dynas. an 02 low rider that i really liked. then i bought a new 07 streetbob for 12k and it had 4oo miles on it. rode it for almost a year, and it was a very pleasing ride indeed. ended up trading both of those off for my 08 streetglide, and couldn't be happier. to do it again, if i could afford to support two bikes, i'd own the new fatbob. those really rock. ride one and you'll see what i mean. once you get out from under your shadow, you'll understand why harley riders enjoy their bikes so much. it's sort of a comeraderie, if that's correct spelling. dynas rock. especially with the 96" motor and six speed trans. good luck, hope you get into that dyna.

Old 07-13-2009, 07:23 PM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

just a side note to you, if you can be patient for a few weeks, when the 2010's start showing up in the showrooms, they're gonna be slashing prices very deep on the remaining 09's, far more than they're cutting them now.

Old 07-13-2009, 07:28 PM
rastajacob
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

She will get over it. I also traded in my nightster for a 2009 FXDC. I had some negative equity in the nightster, but I didn't care once I got on the new bike. Sure, Your payments will be higher, but for a Twin Cam with low miles, $1300 off MSRP, and tons of customizable options, I say what is holding you back? Oh, that is right, the wife. Well, you only live once. I hope you make the right decision. Get the Street Bob...

Old 07-13-2009, 07:42 PM
Hickey
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

put a bow on it, and tell her its for her.

Also, explain to her that it is very important that it is broken in properly and you'd be happy to do it, and that it usually takes 25000 miles.

Originally Posted by rastajacob
She will get over it. I also traded in my nightster for a 2009 FXDC. I had some negative equity in the nightster, but I didn't care once I got on the new bike. Sure, Your payments will be higher, but for a Twin Cam with low miles, $1300 off MSRP, and tons of customizable options, I say what is holding you back? Oh, that is right, the wife. Well, you only live once. I hope you make the right decision. Get the Street Bob...

Last edited by Hickey; 07-13-2009 at 07:49 PM.
Old 07-13-2009, 07:56 PM
Goddahavit
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally i wouldnt want to carry negative equity into a lon right now, but only you know if if you can support it.

I still think finding a used one with low miles is a better way to go, get your loan and look private.

Just my .02

Old 07-13-2009, 08:00 PM
bravens1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by emwolb
if you can be patient for a few weeks, when the 2010's start showing up in the showrooms, they're gonna be slashing prices very deep on the remaining 09's, far more than they're cutting them now.
+1

I bought my 07 Street Bob when the 08's had just came out.....they had 5 new 08's sitting on the floor next to 2 new 07's. I worked the salesman (and general manager) pretty hard and by far got the best deal I ever have from HD (you always remember those times!). In addition to the 10's coming out soon, you also have an advantage with the current recession that the dealers are feeling too.....bikes aren't exactly flying off the show room floors these days. Use everything you can to your advantage!

Old 07-13-2009, 08:49 PM
minutemaidman
Advanced

It almost always costs you less to get you what you want the first time. Also, if you are going to be riding with the wife, you might consider a dyna with a seat for her.

Old 07-13-2009, 08:59 PM
Handycam
Tourer

I got my 07 with the Sportster trade-in offer earlier this year. My dealer was the only one around here that offered the deal on used bikes too. I looked into getting a new one, but the 07 was cheaper and had add-ons like the VH pipes. Also I like the black engine of the 07 over the 09 and I didn't like the rear fender on the 09 (just personal taste).

It's going to just come down to what you prefer and what you can afford. I do agree with emwolb above, if you want a new one wait until they get the 2010s and you can get a better deal.

Old 07-13-2009, 09:06 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Let's see....new Bob.vs take a bath on the old bike and **** off the OL and no *****.....tough call but I'd pay off the old bike and shop when the new bikes are out and you find a dealer who is dying to sell a left over.

I got my bike -$1000 off msrp and no freight or prep and what I paid for my Sporty because I waited until Winter when nobody is buying.

You can do better on the deal.

Quick Reply: Talk me off the ledge, quick?!?!? A NEW Street Bob?!?!?