Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hubcap missle at 70 MPH

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 12:03 AM
thegov3
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hubcap missle at 70 MPH

OK, we all get hit by small rocks, big bugs or hard rain from time to time. But I nearly crapped my pants today when a hubcap came spinning off the left side of a car in front of me. It rolled on the Freeway for maybe a second or two, than bounced twice and became airborne like a Frisbee. Only, it wasn't a horizontal Frisbee, the hubcap was still up and down vertical as it missed my head and flew past me on the left like as frickin missile. I started to slow and change lanes to avoid it, but it was behind me before I could even move over a foot or two. Damn.

Has anyone been hit by fly debris like a hubcap and lived to tell about it? I wear a full face, but I am not sure what would have happen to my head, arm or leg had it hit me.

Old 07-13-2009, 12:13 AM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Damn, that is scary. Never had that happen! Road with out my roll bag on the handle bars for the first time since last year and got hit my grasshoppers!! I know it doesn't compare, but I hope that is the extent. Glad you are ok!! May you should try out for a dodge ball team. If you can dodge a hub cap you can dodge anything. j/k!

Old 07-13-2009, 12:30 AM
LWOS
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Talk about being in the wrong place at the wrong time. The Good Lord was with you on that run buddy..... I dare say if that would have it you at Freeway speeds, you'd be standing at the pearly gates and not on the computer telling us about it.
I often see big chunks of truck tires on freeways.......and shutter to think of something like that coming off while you're behind or passing one of those beasts........

Old 07-13-2009, 12:37 AM
klbjoc
Intermediate

Wasnt on my bike, I was driving my Yukon at the time (thank god). I was driving down I-35 when a piece of sheet metal that was roughly 2x2 came flying across the highway. I have no idea where it came from. It did a big turn across the highway and I was waiting to hear a big "thud" as it smacked my truck. It didnt hit the truck, but it did hit my left rear tire. Put a clean cut through the sidwall, from the tread to the wheel.
All I remember thinking is " thank god i wanst on my bike, that would have cut my leg off".
BTW, great forum, I have learned a bunch here in the short time I have been been on here.

Old 07-13-2009, 01:10 AM
xbox
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow.... that would be scary

closest near miss was i almost hit a dear...
locked up my brakes....

long time ago when i was driving the company van my wheel kicked up a chunk
of metal and it the guys mirror on the car behind me, it sheared the mirror right off...
if that was a bike behind me it would be down...

Old 07-13-2009, 03:46 AM
russell6hp
Tourer

Remember the biker's prayer:

"Lord, please keep me safe.
Please help me to make safe decisions.
Please keep those around me safe.
Help them to make safe decisions too."

Old 07-13-2009, 03:59 AM
Naz_Man
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by russell6hp
Remember the biker's prayer:

"Lord, please keep me safe.
Please help me to make safe decisions.
Please keep those around me safe.
Help them to make safe decisions too."
Sounds like something I say before each ride.

I was hit in the head by a bird once just about knocked me off my bike.... may have if I would have had my apes on at that time......

Glad it missed you and lived to tell us about it.....

Peace and ride safe!! Naz

Old 07-13-2009, 05:05 AM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I dodge birds now and then,they are scary enough!

Old 07-13-2009, 07:30 AM
Shizims
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is a good story from a friends of mine. They were riding out west in the desert, really hauling butt. The guy in front was on a touring bike and his exhaust started to sound strange then... POOM! The baffle shot out of his pipe, bounced twice, and just like a NFL onside kick, picked up air... knocked my buddy square in his helmet. Rung his bell, cracked his helmet. He actually ducked and looked down as it struck him so he would have caught it in the chest...

Last edited by Shizims; 07-13-2009 at 09:29 AM.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:16 AM
jaysonL
Elite HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow, weird stuff, and I'll add mine.... Friday morning I was coming home from work and the traffic for these parts was kind of heavy. I was following two small cars, and a Chevy Silverado pulling a bass boat. We were doing about 55-60 when something shinny cought the sun and I saw it bouncing up off the road and directly at me. I reacted as much as I could, and it didn't hit me thank God, but clang, bang ! It hit the forks, and the under carriage of my bike. I slowed and stopped to inspect for damage. I didn't find anything, and then I got mad. I walked back the road a peice and found.... a 9/16 wrench !!! Where it came from I'm not sure, but it looked as if the guy pulling the boat threw it out of his window. But I'm really glad it didn't hit me !!!!

Quick Reply: Hubcap missle at 70 MPH