Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hubcap missle at 70 MPH

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 08:21 AM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

hit a pigeon once, ruined a shirt

Old 07-13-2009, 08:25 AM
BigGdawg
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There was a big brown hawk standing on the country blacktop road as I drove up on my hog. He jumped into the air and flapped his wings twice in that sweeping slo mo fashion and I came close to taking him out or it seemed like it was close. He was about 30 or 36 inches tall when he was standing on the road. Glad we didn't collide.

As a rule I don't like to follow traffic too close as lots of stuff gets thrown. They also drive over stuff and I've seen debris because I was far enough behind to not have to run over it.

Old 07-13-2009, 08:33 AM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

In the car a few years ago, a hubcap came off the car coming toward me on a 65MPH two-lane. It hit squarely on the left edge of my windshield and caved in the steel vertical part of the car body coming down from the roof. Shattered the windshield. That was prety scary. One more inch to the right and it would have come thru the windshield at face level. Last year - again in my car - one of those Fred Sanford type scrap trucks was in front of me on the expressway. A damn car hood he had in his load caught some wind and flew out like a giant steel sail. It flew over my car, and slammed into the grill of a pickup truck behind me.

Old 07-13-2009, 09:44 AM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

creepy stuff!!

Old 07-13-2009, 09:58 AM
Harley_RN
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thegov3

Has anyone been hit by fly debris like a hubcap and lived to tell about it?

Was on the freeway Saturday and a chunk of blown out tire about the size of a cell phone was kicked up by the car in front of me. I saw it coming and ducked as it just skimmed the top of my full face. About 50 yards further down the freeway there was an idiot with a nasty looking trailer on the side of the road with a tireless rim. The trailer looked like it had seen better days.

Christian

Old 07-13-2009, 11:03 AM
Exavier22003
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Over the past year I have had two 18-wheeler trailer tires blow out beside me as I passed. On the first one I got lucky with and inside tire blowing out and just causing me to crap my self. After that ive always made it a point to not take my time passing a Big-Rig. The second one I wasn't so luck having to remove wire shardes from my right arm after an outside trailer tire blew out as I passed it doing roughly 75-80 mph gettting passed. Talk about dumb luck in the South.

Old 07-13-2009, 03:53 PM
King_O_Road
Cruiser

Had a truck towing a trailer and the plate came off the trailer as we passed each other, so it was like the plate and I were going the same way and I see it out of the corner of my eye at about shoulder high and gaining... I slowed down as it passed right in front of me and then off to the side of the road.. I did a uturn went back and picked it up, it hangs in my garage today... a friend had a black garage back blow across the hi-way in front of him and then get caught up inthe chain... he came to a real fast stop onthe side and spent alot time gumming it all out of there before he could take off again.

Old 07-13-2009, 03:58 PM
bberck
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My father in law was telling me the other day how he was following a buddy when his side mount plate came off and nailed him in the leg and hit his tank. He said the tank took the biggest part of the lick or his leg would of been much worse.

Old 07-13-2009, 08:26 PM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

one thing i found out years ago, is when you're riding on a road that is used a lot for grain hauling trucks, you'll have tons of birds eating the spillings from the trailers. and when you see a crow lunching on a dead possum 500 feet in front of you, too your horn. chances are that you're not traveling at the speed of sound, which is about 735 mph. it'll get the birds attention and they'll fly away before you get there. sure glad you were able to avoid the hubcap. another thing about riding is the concern i have with the 18 wheelers and the snap on lugnut chrome covers. observe the next time you pass one, and having owned several over the road trucks through the years, it's amazing that the lugnut covers stay on. frightening to say the least if one of those would fly off at the wrong time. ride safe please.

Old 07-13-2009, 09:51 PM
20LowRider02
Tourer

A F*%&#*% Dove hit my windshield at 60 yesterday!!

Quick Reply: Hubcap missle at 70 MPH