Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tell me something bad about Thunder Max

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 11:09 AM
speedjunkie
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jarhead45
All true... But if you had taken and done the dyno with the TM I would bet money you would have ended up SOOOOOTH AS Butta also. I am looking at a BB build also, But I am aware I MAY have to do a dyno tune to work out any bugs. With a heavily modified engine you can almost bet with ANY build you are going to go with a dyno tune,,,, just to make sure and work out any bugs. But after that,,,, any small changes should be picked up and tuned in with the auto tune feature. ALL builders want you to go with the system they are most famliar with. PERIOD. If I was a builder I know I would , makes the most sense.
Possibly. I asked Zippers for a list of authorized tuners up front, they wouldn't give it to me. Said that would be a last ditch effort only.

I should have clarified my builders choice of tuners. He asked me up front if I needed a tuner, I did not as I had the tmax. He openly admitted to not having much experience with it, but I should give it a try. Only after many miles of frustration did I finally break down and get the TTS. He NEVER tried to push it on me, EVER!

My builder helped me with the tmax best he could, but I was pretty much on my own. After Zippers sent me the modified file, I asked them a couple more questions, and NEVER heard from them again, so they helped make up my mind to change as well. THANKS ZIPPERS!!!!

The TTS isn't locked permanently to a bike. It downloads your stock tune and saves it first. So, if you go back to stock and sell the bike, then you can put the stock tune back in as well, and keep the tuner. But, if you sell the bike modified, then the tuner will have to go with it.

Now, as to ease of use. With the TTS, it uses a vtune function. After you have done the initial basemap push, you open up the vtune function on your laptop, and go ride around normally for 1/2 hour. Come back, vtune makes a new map. Load this to the ECM, load vtune again, go ride for a 1/2 hour. Come back, vtune makes another map. Load new map to ECM and repeat. This process takes 4 times or so to get real close. What the vtune is doing is calibrating mixture to cylinder efficiency where you are riding. I actually find using the TTS to be quite a bit easier to use, but that's me.

The only reason for going to a dyno for the WFO tune, is that's somewhere you don't normally ride and is very tough for vtune to get numbers on. But, on a dyno, you can basically do a forced calibration for front and rear cylinders. I would also highly recommend that if you do go the dyno route, which isn't required BTW, you go to someone than knows the TTS. TTS claims you can get like 90-95% of a dyno tune, just by using vtune. I would have to agree. From my base map, I only saw like 3 hp and 3 lb/ft of torque difference after dyno tune. I expected more, that's why I went, 3 wasn't hardly worth it.

Again, good luck with whatever you decide!

Old 07-13-2009, 11:10 AM
TimBone
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a TMAT for sale.
$550 shipped to you.

Worked great for me,
Switched because my engine builder
is more familiar with different tuner
so I went with that.

Old 07-13-2009, 12:49 PM
man4mopar
Road Master
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by speedjunkie

The TTS isn't locked permanently to a bike. It downloads your stock tune and saves it first. So, if you go back to stock and sell the bike, then you can put the stock tune back in as well, and keep the tuner. But, if you sell the bike modified, then the tuner will have to go with it.
Actually it is locked to the ECM in the bike. Once hooked up it will not work on any other ECM accept the first it was hooked to. Even if you reload the stock tune.
It also does not automaticly save the origina tune, you have to click a box to do so and select file to save it in.
On the flip side the ECM is never locked to the TTS module. Meaning you can change maps with another TTS or SERT or the likes. So basicly that whole paragraph is unclear and or wrong.

Old 07-13-2009, 01:28 PM
nwctdyna
Stage III

I have a tmax setup on a modified motor. I do like the auto tuning but the issue really seems to be finding a shop that is more familiar with this equipment than you become. Snap or backfires on decel are very simply fixed. The learning curve for the computer can be adjusted and I am sure the rev limit could be also. Unfortunately the best part in the world won't work if you don't have someone who understands it, in your area

Old 07-13-2009, 02:56 PM
paul s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine is workin fine, I called for a map to get me in the ballpark and haven't touched it since, not even after a cam change. No pop at all but I'm guessing my mileage is about 40 around town give or take a few.

Old 07-13-2009, 03:03 PM
speedjunkie
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by man4mopar
Actually it is locked to the ECM in the bike. Once hooked up it will not work on any other ECM accept the first it was hooked to. Even if you reload the stock tune.
It also does not automaticly save the origina tune, you have to click a box to do so and select file to save it in.
On the flip side the ECM is never locked to the TTS module. Meaning you can change maps with another TTS or SERT or the likes. So basicly that whole paragraph is unclear and or wrong.

Hmm, not the way I read it, but you may be right. Whatever, I have NO plans to get rid of the TTS or my low!

Mike

Old 07-13-2009, 04:39 PM
Redbeard
Stellar HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by dmftoy1
I don't intend to do anything other than the Stage 1 as reliability is my biggest thing.
If all you want is to do slip-ons and an air cleaner, I wonder if Thunder Max or Master Tune isn't a bit overkill. Your limited mods should actually make it easier to get a good tune than others have experienced with heads/cams, etc, but you may also consider saving a few bucks and just getting a Power Commander.

Old 07-13-2009, 05:18 PM
paul s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How many of us planned on stage 1 only and stayed that way? I know I couldn't do it.

Old 07-13-2009, 07:01 PM
dmftoy1
Tourer

Thanks for all the advice. It's sounding to me like the TTS Mastertune might be the way to go. So if I'm understanding it correctly I won't be trying to tune it across various rpm rates or messing with the A/F mixture on an RPM by RPM cell but rather using data logging and an analysis feature to generate new maps repeatedly until I get it dialed in? (that sounds pretty good to me)

Thanks again!

Regards,
Dave

Old 07-14-2009, 12:05 AM
man4mopar
Road Master
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by dmftoy1
Thanks for all the advice. It's sounding to me like the TTS Mastertune might be the way to go. So if I'm understanding it correctly I won't be trying to tune it across various rpm rates or messing with the A/F mixture on an RPM by RPM cell but rather using data logging and an analysis feature to generate new maps repeatedly until I get it dialed in? (that sounds pretty good to me)

Thanks again!

Regards,
Dave
The stage 1 downloads they have are very close. If you choose you can optimize the tune by running Vtune. You hook a laptop up to bike and ride while collecting data. Then run that file through vtune and it gives you a new map to load. There is more to it then that but is the just of it,details are covered in the software manual. It does have limitations for self tuning compared to a Tmax or DTT TCFI but the TTS is a great system and leaves the bike stock accept for mappng so all dealers should be able to diagnose fix a problem when on the road.

Quick Reply: Tell me something bad about Thunder Max