Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Changer

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 10:33 AM
kenfm2000
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Changer

I just bought a new Pirelli Night Dragon to replace my rear tire for my Street Bob. I was tired of paying someone to put tires on for me so I started looking at tire changers or tire machines. I came across this one http://www.cyclehilltirechanger.com/
For $365 including shipping this peeked my interest. My neighbor also has a bike and we both use my garage to store and work on our bikes. I talked him into splitting the cost of the the tire changer with me.

The tire machine arrived on Thursday and we set it up Last night. Off came the tire and on went the new one. It took a whole lot longer getting the wheel on and off the bike then changing the tire. I don't have any pictures of the process but they do show how it works on their site if you click on the How To link at the top of the page. I also attached a picture of it that I found using Google.

The stock tire came off very easy. Putting the night dragon on was a little more of a chore. We got it though. It just took a few attempts. They have an accessory you can add to your order for $36.00 that likely would have made it much easier to install called the "yellow thing"

I would recommend it. There are a few reasons I decided to get a machine. I really would prefer no one else works on my bike. I also like the idea of being able to change the tire or tube when I want without having to leave the bike or the wheel for an hour, a day or a week or even more. I also figure two change outs for each of us would pay for the machine. I am planning on offering to change the tires for my friends for $15 per wheel if they bring me just the wheels. So the machine might even be paid for in just a month or so.

Attached Thumbnails Tire Changer-tirechanger1.jpg  
Old 07-11-2009, 10:40 AM
bberck
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks pretty handy but what about balancing?

I am with you on not wanting anyone else work on the bike. I did pay to have my tire mounted but I took the wheel off myself. $25 for a mount and balance and he did it why I waited.

Old 07-11-2009, 10:48 AM
kenfm2000
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bberck

I am with you on not wanting anyone else work on the bike. I did pay to have my tire mounted but I took the wheel off myself. $25 for a mount and balance and he did it why I waited.
Basically I just put the axle back through the wheel set it on two jack stands and spun the wheel about 8 times. It never stopped at the same spot once. There wasn't a need to add weights at all because it was not out balance. I did have some stick on weights on hand just in case I needed them. I also did pay attention to the red dot on the tire to make sure it was positioned correctly before airing up the tire.

Old 07-11-2009, 10:59 AM
SuperFastGlide
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bberck

dyna beads

Old 07-11-2009, 01:36 PM
thedonthere
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SuperFastGlide
dyna beads
+1 I used them and I am really happy with the results

Old 07-11-2009, 02:13 PM
man4mopar
Road Master
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

[quote=bberck;5256892]Looks pretty handy but what about balancing?

quote]

First rear tire I mounted and took in to have balanced. It took soo little weight it really wouldn't have mattered. Ever since then I just mount them and ride it figuring if it vibrates I will remove and have balanced. 2 rear tires and a front tire so far not balanced and run vibration free.
There are also inexpensive or build your own static balancers for cheap enough.

Old 07-11-2009, 02:21 PM
0lowrider1
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

+1 again on the dyna beads..i use them and also most people i ride with are using them now

Old 07-11-2009, 02:35 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

cool set up!

Old 07-11-2009, 07:43 PM
rdondes
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's a smart idea to do your friends' tires and charge them a nominal fee. That is a win-win for everyone.