Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Decel Popping and SERT Tuning"

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 10:13 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Yea mine doesn't do it on acceleration either. Not sure exactly what rpm range it actually pops at since I don't have a tach so I just added gas all the way up the range. I guess I could play with it and just decrease gas at higher rpms at closed throttle but since it's running fine I don't really want to mess with it to be honest.

Old 07-09-2009, 10:36 PM
deemic
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hear ya there. If I can get the pop out I won't keep tweakin on it.... takes away from riding time. : )

Old 07-09-2009, 10:47 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

No popping on decel at any rpm range.. unless I just gassed the hell out of it... then I might get a pop once in a while... to be expected.... but on the normal close throttle decel, no popping at all. 46-49 mpg, TTS Mastertune.

Old 07-10-2009, 12:20 AM
thedonthere
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a flat spot, sort of a hesitation around 2000-2500 rpms (guessing) and I had quite a bit of decel popping with the map I got from FM. According to my tuner, who I spent 5 hrs with altogether on Monday, both issues were the result of too much fuel. The decel popping makes sense to me that unburned fuel ignites in the pipes but, I thought that the hesitation/flat spot would have been from a lack of fuel and it actually was just the opposite,again too much fuel.I don't have either issue now and my bike runs great.As for gas mileage,I don't really care.

Old 07-10-2009, 04:58 AM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by PigInaBlanket
Wow! you had to add 38 maddghost? I added 20 or 25 I don't remember but I think it was 20. How bad is your gas mileage in town with having to add 38? I know we don't ride our bikes for the gas mileage but damn that's gotta be cutting it down pretty good. I get about 35mpg or maybe a little less in town.
at 30 it just pops loud if I really gunn it,as archer mentioned it may be normal.I'm trying 38 today to see if I can get rid of it totally. FM says there should be no noticeable change in mileage. I had the quiet baffle in for about two weeks and never had so much as a pop. But my quiet baffle is almost as quiet as stock muffs!............I'm working on it!

Old 07-10-2009, 07:47 AM
chesterman
Tourer

Originally Posted by deemic
So let me get this straight....
One vote for too much fuel and another for running too lean. I see some confusion comin' my way.
Maddghost, who is fuel moto? What are you using to change you tuning?

Thedonthere.... sounds like you had one shop running you too rich and now you had it on the dyno and they leaned it out for you? Did you have the popping issue before you went on the dyno? I'm tempted to put mine on too but since I have the SERT I heard that it couldn't be done. Wouldn't that mean I'd have to buy a Power Commander to have it dyno'd?

Sorry for all the questions fella's... just trying to get up to speed on all this crap.
First of all, you need to check to see if you have a Screamin Eagle Race Tuner (SERT) or a Screamin Eagle Super Tuner, they are 2 totally different products that people tend to talk about as being the same thing. The Race tuner is just a black box which will say race tuner on it, the Super tuner is a black box with a red button on it that will say Super tuner on it. Secondly, you can put your bike on the dyno and tune it with either product. Third, read the manual carefully, if you are familiar with tuning or feel like you want to become more familiar go to your dealer and buy the correct software for your laptop and cables to hook up the tuner. If you are not going to have the bike dyno'd, do a ride and record with your tuner and look at the output. That will give you a starting point to tune from.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:15 AM
deemic
Novice

Originally Posted by chesterman
First of all, you need to check to see if you have a Screamin Eagle Race Tuner (SERT) or a Screamin Eagle Super Tuner, they are 2 totally different products that people tend to talk about as being the same thing. The Race tuner is just a black box which will say race tuner on it, the Super tuner is a black box with a red button on it that will say Super tuner on it. Secondly, you can put your bike on the dyno and tune it with either product. Third, read the manual carefully, if you are familiar with tuning or feel like you want to become more familiar go to your dealer and buy the correct software for your laptop and cables to hook up the tuner. If you are not going to have the bike dyno'd, do a ride and record with your tuner and look at the output. That will give you a starting point to tune from.

Thanks for the input!
The one that came with my bike is the SERT. It has a black box and came with a serial cable, along with a (at the time) unopened software cd. Which makes me wonder if a tune was ever performed. The box looked a little scuffed up and the VIN number of the bike was written on the box, but the cd had never been touched.

So anyhow, I've installed the software on my desktop to take a look at it and try to decipher the manual, which is very extensive I might add.
I'm still trying to wrap my head around all of the terminology and how the system actually works.

What is actually involved in the dyno?

Old 07-10-2009, 10:47 AM
chesterman
Tourer

Thanks for the input!
The one that came with my bike is the SERT. It has a black box and came with a serial cable, along with a (at the time) unopened software cd. Which makes me wonder if a tune was ever performed. The box looked a little scuffed up and the VIN number of the bike was written on the box, but the cd had never been touched.
When you hook up the bike and tuner to the computer with power there is a screen that you can look at to see the VIN assigned to the black box. Just make sure it matches the VIN on your bike. Also, if a dealership did the orignial tune, they have all the software needed already so it makes sense that the CD had never been opened.

So anyhow, I've installed the software on my desktop to take a look at it and try to decipher the manual, which is very extensive I might add.
I'm still trying to wrap my head around all of the terminology and how the system actually works.
Take your time, read stuff 2 or 3 times if need be. There are lots of smart guys on here who can help you out if you have questions. I know there is a section about tuning with the knock sensor in the Super tuner manual, it's been a while since I've looked at the Race tuner manual but I think there is a similiar section in there, this is a good technique to use for somebody who is getting their feet wet into the tuning experience.

What is actually involved in the dyno?
Having somebody else put your bike on the dyno, run it, tune it, run it, tune it, repeat until they get it right. With the Race Tuner, you have the ability to do similiar tuning except you have to strap the laptop onto the bike, run it on the street and look at the output after the fact (the dyno shows realtime info that is reviewable afterwards as well).

Old 07-10-2009, 04:01 PM
frankjake
Road Master

Don't mean to hijac the thread, but on my Fat Bob I have the SERT, V&H big radius 2 into 1 and SE air cleaner. They spent 4 hours tuning after all was installed.

I have a great sounding "rumble" when letting off the throttle. It will get a pop or two if decel is from a real high rpm. But my bikes runs so damm good and gets such good mileage that I not going to try and tune that tiny bit out.

I have always heard of you are getting a lot of popping it's too rich. But then some say the opposite too. Tuning is EXPENSIVE and time consuming. I don't know if I could live with a lot of popping, but like I said for a pop or two that happens so very seldom, I can deal with it.

Funny thing, back to the "rumble" sound, on our recent trip one of the guys wanted to follow right behind me, he just loved the sound of my pipes when coming down a long, steep highway.

Hope you get it worked out where you are happy with it.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:32 PM
Lil Evil
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Dee

First you will want go to Table Selection, and then Decel Enleanment in the Tuning software. In the table,try to decrease the numbers( try 5 units at a time) in all the tables, this will add fuel during decel. If you are not able to get it all out with that table then you will have to adjust it out using the afr table. At what rpm range is it popping and is it only at closed throttle? Will need more info

Quick Reply: "Decel Popping and SERT Tuning"