Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Progressive drop in kit; impressions

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 12:02 PM
DoubleU
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Progressive drop in kit; impressions

Anyone else not to impressed with the Progressive drop in front end lowering kit? I’ve got about 1500 miles on the bike since doing the install. I know/understand that I’ve given up an inch of fork travel, but I seem to be bottoming out a lot. Loud “clunk” noise and hits pretty hard when going over bumps that aren’t that big. Anyone else experiencing this? Causes and/or solutions? Could I be low on fork fluid? Would thicker or “heavy duty” fork oil help?

Old 07-08-2009, 01:13 PM
thedonthere
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the traditional Progressive lowering springs in my bob. I have no problem at all bottoming out. maybe you could try a little heavier fork oil.

Old 07-08-2009, 01:50 PM
Toypuller
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 5,291 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Low fluid will do that.

Have you had your steering head washer updated? There is a service bulletin for the "clunk"

Heavier oil will stiffen it up. Start with some Screaming Eagle, it is heavier than the stock without being too thick. I found that 20W was to heavy for mine, but I didn't lower, just did standard length springs.

Old 07-08-2009, 01:55 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

i have traditional lowering springs in mine as well and am no where NEAR bottom out... hell i even have fog lights under my trees and they have not hit (now that i dropped my fender down) i used a blend of 15w and 10w oil and LOVE the ride it gave me!

Old 07-08-2009, 03:01 PM
Uquackmeup
Tourer

I have the Drop In lowering kit and have had absolutely no problems with bottoming out and the roads around here are full of dips and bumps.

Ron

Old 07-08-2009, 03:15 PM
Cornhusker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Uquackmeup
I have the Drop In lowering kit and have had absolutely no problems with bottoming out and the roads around here are full of dips and bumps.

Ron
Same here, no problem at all. Very pleased with them.

Old 07-08-2009, 04:55 PM
NoLongerAmember
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DoubleU
Anyone else not to impressed with the Progressive drop in front end lowering kit? I’ve got about 1500 miles on the bike since doing the install. I know/understand that I’ve given up an inch of fork travel, but I seem to be bottoming out a lot. Loud “clunk” noise and hits pretty hard when going over bumps that aren’t that big. Anyone else experiencing this? Causes and/or solutions? Could I be low on fork fluid? Would thicker or “heavy duty” fork oil help?
FXD(B-C-L) or WG? what year? I'll assume FXD
How much did you drop it?
Is the drop where you want it when sitting on the bike?
You do have the spring + comp spring and spacer installed, right?
With these springs you can not really set a proper preload/sag since the sag is your drop amount and controlled by preload, the comp spring is basically a spacer and to keep the fork from suddenly dropping out in a dip/pot hole.
How much did you cut the spacer?
If you cut the spacer to the 1" length you should have 1.5 to 2" lowering + any additional sag when you sit on the bike @ 180lbs.
How much do you weigh?

I assume you just pulled the o.e. springs and installed the drop ins, you did not say?

If you replaced the oil, did you put the recommended amount of oil? The instructions for the drop in spring say to follow the H-D manual.

First, I would check the total amount of sag (drop) you have when sitting on the bike. Put a tie strap on the slider tube and take the weight off the front and slide the strap down, then slowly lower the front with you on the bike and do not push down on the suspension. Take the weight off again, measure between the fork dust cap and bottom of strap and note it.
Slide the strap down again and take it for a ride where you find it bottoming out. When you get back take the weight off the front and measure again, this will show how much travel you are using. If too much drop this will cause bottoming and you can adjust it with a longer spacer.

Second, you need to verify that you have the proper amount of oil and if measuring the depth you need the fork straight up and down or go by the proper amount in oz. 26.6 for the FXD

If you have the proper preload or drop then I would "guess" you're too low on oil, but you don't want to over fill.

Find out where you are at on the above and get back.
CB

Old 07-08-2009, 05:59 PM
jjwin98
Cruiser

I haven`t bottoming out but hard ride

Old 07-11-2009, 04:36 PM
lhcstreetbob
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no problem at all with bottoming out for me

Old 08-14-2009, 09:40 PM
JoeFLHX
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I put the traditional Progressive 2"lowering on my FLSTC and it bottoms out all the time. A piece of gravel feels like i am going over a curb.

I did it six weeks ago but only have 50miles or so on the job. I did it all by the book.

I wrote to Progressive about it tonight. I may have to take an inch off the pvc.

I like the low, I like the handling, I hate hitting a pot hole or rail road tracks.