Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tranny leaking - O-ring shot - questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 11:26 AM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Tranny leaking - O-ring shot - questions

Joe Knapp has helped me a lot already with this issue but both of us are not sure about a couple of things. So, I thought I'd just run this by the forum.

I just started noticing some drip spots under my bike and when I took a look underneath, I realized it was coming from the drain plug on the tranny and there was a piece of o-ring just hanging down from between the plug and the tranny case. It's not a bad leak and there still seems to be a lot of fluid (Amsoil 75w/90) left in the tranny when I checked it. Anyway, sounds like I just need to pull the plug and change the o-ring - but, I'm going to lose a signficant amount, if not all of my fluid when I do that. The bike has recently been serviced but if I have to buy another quart of Amsoil, I may as well drain and refill the whole thing, right?

I've done a lot to my bike myself that I never thought I'd do but servicing the fluids has not been one of those things so far. Anyway, here are my questions:

Is the capacity of the tranny case exactly 1 quart?

If not, is it at least less than 1 quart?

How do I know for sure that it's full - do I check the level on the sidestand like the engine oil or with the bike straight up?

I can pop the plugs and drain the fluid on the sidestand and then I need to stand the bike up level (on a lift) to fill it back up - right? The answer to this one might answer the previous question?

disclaimer: I know I can do a search and may even find some of this info in my owners manual. Please don't respond instructing me to do either. If you don't want to take the time to respond to this, that's fine by me - but just move on.

Old 07-08-2009, 12:33 PM
0lowrider1
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

if you had a extra set of hands..somebody could plug it up for you with their finger while you put the new o ring on the drain bolt..you still will lose some fluid but it won't be all of it anyway..i would still get a quart of the trans fluid so i could refill...my bike is a 01 so i think your trans has a different capacity ..cant help you there....it can be filled on the sidestand,but it is checked with bike sitting level...

Old 07-08-2009, 12:44 PM
super05
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the capacity is less than 1 quart.
don't have my manual - it's like 26 or 28 oz.
i never bothered checking the level - just put the right amount in and moved on.
you can buy mobil 1 synthetic 75/90 gear oil at advance auto parts - probably autozone as well. sometimes amsoil is tough to find - the mobil seems quite good.

Old 07-08-2009, 12:54 PM
07bobber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

a quart is like 9 bux just buy it change the o-ring and be done with it! not hard at all. if you have a helping hand have someone stand the bike up for you if not keep it on its kickstand. do what you gotta do to fix it!

Old 07-08-2009, 01:14 PM
bberck
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My service manual says to use 320z on my 08.

Let it warm up before pulling the plug. Pull the plug then remove the filler cap. When its done draining sit on it and sit it up off the jiffy stand and some more will drain out.

Put it back on the Jiffy stand, put the drain plug in it and I put in 1 full quart.

On a side note the service manual says to inspect the O-rings and replace if needed. They are cheap and I always replace them now. When I did my 1k service they looked brand new still so I reused them. When I drained my fluids at 3k to install my Chrome engine package they were in bad shape. I thnk retightening them caused most of the damage and maybe what happened to yours.

Old 07-08-2009, 01:40 PM
Toypuller
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,262 Likes on 1,578 Posts

Check the level on the side stand. Don't screw the stick in, just sit it on the top thread and pull it back out to check.

Buy a handful of O-rings. Can get them at any parts store or home improvement store real cheap. Even Harley only charges 50 cents for them When you change your fluids there will always be at least one that is torn up enough to replace.

Once you realize how easy changing the fluids is you'll start doing more yourself. Buy the manual.

Last edited by Toypuller; 07-08-2009 at 01:43 PM.
Old 07-08-2009, 02:22 PM
Mk1Racer
Road Master

If the fluid is that new, just drain it into a clean pan and dump it back in when you're done. Not sure about the newer bikes w/ the 6-spds, but mine says 24 oz and check it when it's standing straight up. As someone pointed out, O-rings are cheap. I replace mine as part of the fluid change service.

Old 07-08-2009, 03:05 PM
Bluesrider
Tourer

I would just go and get some mobil 1 synthetic 75/90 gear oil from the store along with some o-rings and nip it in the butt; you will feel better knowing its fixed right. I picked up about 20 o-rings from the Dealer when I did mine, but I bet that you can get them at Home Depot. By the way, the mobil 1 synthetic 75/90 gear oil works great! The shifting is so much smoother.

Old 07-08-2009, 03:18 PM
freebyrd
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you torque down the drainplug to spec? it sounds like it may have been over torqued and squished

Old 07-08-2009, 03:35 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Okay, I didn't do the service so I didn't kill the o-ring but that may be what happened. The dealer did the same thing with my master cylinder once and now it looks like chit because brake fluid leaked out and messed it up.

I have Amsoil 75w/90 synthetic in there now and it's great as far as shifting and noise goes. I don't see any reason why I couldn't swap it out for the Mobil 1 stuff of the same weight as suggested. At least that's something I can probably buy locally vs. the Amsoil.

My local hardware store sells o-rings. So, the magic question is - what size is that o-ring? Does anyone know? If I could find out the size, I could get what I need locally and get this fixed and not have to go an hour away to get the o-ring and amsoil.

Quick Reply: Tranny leaking - O-ring shot - questions