Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions about rust.

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 04:35 PM
r00k
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 07bobber
the only problem ive seen is the brake dust screwing up my spokes...
I spend more time taking care of the rust on the steel spokes then anything else when i clean it, and the stock pads really don't heal either.

Once I get my living situation settled at the end of the month, I'm going to replace my spokes with stainless ones and paint the wheels.

Old 07-07-2009, 06:29 PM
TheOak
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got pitting and corrosion on my forks, headlight, and levers. I live on the beach, so its my fault according to HD. the bike is 14 months old.

Old 07-07-2009, 07:00 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,770 Likes on 2,533 Posts

Living on a rocky road probably doesn't help matters, the small stone particulates are working against you. Just don't have any long term remedies here.

Old 07-07-2009, 08:57 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

No matter where you live there is moisture (humidity) in the air. Chrome will rust. You just have to stay on top of it. It's not rusting because it's a harley. It's just rusting. My old yamaha was constantly rusting. I had to keep up with it before it got out of control.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:43 PM
RCB
Road Warrior

I live along the Chesepeake Bay and do not have any problems with rust. However I have always kept a good coat of polish/protectant on the chrome and wax on the painted surfaces.

Old 07-07-2009, 11:13 PM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

My bike has no rust and it has seen rain twice and is a year old. After the rain I blew the whole bike off with my compressor and that was it. I don't have any rust anywhere on my bike other then the allen bolt on my deuce turn sig mounts, but I did buy those off of ebay!! As for the trees that some have mentioned. Those are not chrome, they are polished. Take some mothers to them and it looks chrome. I use biker spirits to clean my bike and wheels, but so far so good for me.

Old 07-08-2009, 06:35 AM
mcdurhamj
Advanced

08 FXDC here. I live in Florida, 30 mi. from the coast and about 1/2 mi. from St. Johns River. Got about 8000 mi. on it. Keep the bike in the garage, wash / clean regularly. Every week or two I use Never Dull on rims. Have simi-thouroughly cleaned spokes with Never Dull probably twice. No rust no where, but signs of discoloration inside slots on rear disk. Maby rocky road makes the difference, I don't know.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:02 AM
Stanger
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No rust here. Took and powder coated the rims, hubs and spokes, no rust for me. I have seen it though, not sure what to tell ya, other than it seems to happen alot, and ways to help or solve it have been listed, how you would like to handle this is up to you. Lots of labor (ie Wax, or little to no work, powder coat them). I wish you luck in what ever way you go.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:52 PM
JohnAE
Cruiser

Rusted through the wax. Well done chrome should not rust this easy. I think I might consider changing the wheels to polished Al when I need new tires.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:55 PM
DYNAJoe
Banned

I would agree rust is rusty..it aint exclusive to HDs...

Quick Reply: Opinions about rust.