Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4 inch risers = all new cables?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 05:59 PM
jousley
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Question 4 inch risers = all new cables?

Hello all.. this is my first post... had my HD 07 street bob for 1.5 years. First riding it.. now trying to figure it out. I went to my first cycle swapmeet last week and bought some 4 inch pullback risers. they are sweet. I went to install them and found out that my brake line is not long enough (my clutch cable might not be as well, but the brake line was the first to stop my installation).

I guess I need to buy all new lines (this would include.. brake line, clutch cable, throttle & idle lines, am I missing anything?)

As a newb, was wondering where to go to get these.. Looking for some chrome looking(diamond?) cables for all.. Where can I get a good price.. and more importantly.. I am not sure of the sizes I will need. If I got 4 inch pull back risers.. do I simply order lines +4?

I could use all information re: this as I'm a newb, but really looking forward to developing my skills for my bike.. Thanks

J.

Old 07-06-2009, 06:21 PM
RCB
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

H-D's braided lines are Diamonback you can get them from the dealer. Another option would be Magnum Shield cables www.magnumshielding.com. One way you could figure out the length of cables you need is to set your new risers and bar on take your existing capables and a piece of string and act as if the string is an extension of the cable and measure the the difference.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:59 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

I would go +2 off of what was stock for your bike. Cables and such are generally sized in +2 +4..... even increments.

But I am curious, because a 4" pullback shouldn't cause you to replace anything... it will be close however.

How much shy is your brake line?

Old 07-06-2009, 10:58 PM
superglided
Advanced

I went with 4 inch riser and did not have to change on an 07 Superglide. I did however have to bend a few things to get it to work comfortably.

Old 07-06-2009, 11:08 PM
sickwithit
Road Captain

I went with 9" risers with pull back and I didn't have to change any lines. I also have a 07 street bob. Does you bike have the stock apes or were the bars and cables change for something else?

Old 07-07-2009, 12:32 AM
kccustom
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I put some on my fatboy with no problems.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...ml#post5201315

Old 07-07-2009, 01:25 AM
jcmusic
Tourer

I put 6in risers on my 04 LR and just had to reroute the throttle cable, and turn the brake line a little.

jay

Old 07-07-2009, 03:55 PM
jousley
Cruiser

oh man... so it sounds like I don't have to replace... but then how do I do it. my brake line is (disregard the laymens terms) a "hose" from the caliper, clamped, then turns into a "metal line" shaped like this:
____
|
|
-----

up to the bottom of my forks - clamped - and then to another hose line with little extra play.

So, what do I do? i have read about "bending" the metal part tomake it fit.. but not sure how to do this correctly.. I know I would have to undo the 2 clamps.. but then how would I keep the line so it doesn't fly all over the place..

Perhaps I just need some instruction on what to do. that might be the right answer.

J.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:06 PM
jousley
Cruiser

So does anyone know how to bend (if necesary) - the hard brake line?
J.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:58 PM
kccustom
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dont bend anything, just loosen the clamps and slide the brake line where it needs to be then re tighten. I thinks I just let mine hang till I was done.

Quick Reply: 4 inch risers = all new cables?