Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyna Owners with JS Lift

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 09:38 PM
overhead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tejasrider
Yes it is much more stable than my Sears yellow jack, but I was expecting it to be rock solid, and there is quite a bit of rocking, more so on the lower settings than the higher ones. I see no movement on the bike they use on the video. I feel that I could do any type service, but not enough to climb around on it like they show. I have noticed that the rear stabalizer is solid, yet the front has some wiggle to it, I think I will send them a video and ask their opinion.
I guess everyone's idea of rock solid maybe a little different. I was goofing around with my detachable tour pack tonight and I got up on the bike with it on the lift to lean back on the tour pack. The bike did not really move that much at all and I weigh 230 pounds give or take.

Old 07-05-2009, 10:38 PM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by overhead
I guess everyone's idea of rock solid maybe a little different. I was goofing around with my detachable tour pack tonight and I got up on the bike with it on the lift to lean back on the tour pack. The bike did not really move that much at all and I weigh 230 pounds give or take.
Tonight, I put a new backrest pad on my WG and had the wife climb up and on to try it out. She said it fit funny, so I climbed on and sat back there to try it out. While she sat in the 'drivers' seat. Yes, both of us were up there (highest setting) and I never thought twice about it.

I also stripped off the tins, sliders, & wheels this past winter - and didn't have a problem.

Old 07-05-2009, 10:47 PM
overhead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Being you live in Northern VA I would say it is much more dangerous just for you to ride around town then it is to jump up on that jack in the garage . I grew up in Vienna, people up there are freaking nuts! When I go home I have to ride like a lunatic just to keep from getting run over.

I think he is going to get some flexing from any lift, the metal and joints are going to give a little. I will be happy as long as I never have the leaning tower of motorcycle in garage again because of those stupid adapters and cheap lift.

Old 07-06-2009, 12:09 AM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

If you read the papers that came with the jack, they recommend the highest setting for stability. I've sat on mine and it didn't budge. If I go around to the front I can tilt the back end off, but I have to use all 200lbs on myself pulling on the handles bars. When I paint my down tubes and had my fender off and I sat on the front tire and it took most of my weight to move it. Our bike aren't "AS" stable the the Ultra they used in their videos because of our tranny pan being in the way and having to put the jack an inch or so further back will give us a very little less support forward tilting. NOthing to worry about unless you plan on sitting on your front wheel regularly, but as everybody else said it's good to go. When my bike is just sitting on the jack in the garage I have it on the lowest setting and when I clean or work on it I put it all the way up. Just make sure you lower it to the locks!

Old 07-07-2009, 02:16 PM
tejasrider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I called and talked to Jim at J&S and while on the phone, I put the jack up all the way and I told him how I had it positioned and with the stablizers down and he said I had it in the correct position. I released the jack fully and the front stabilizer would not make solid contact. Even at the highest setting as instructed, the bike was rocking a lot. He said the stabilizers should make full contact on both sides when the bottle jack is lowered and mine was not. With the jack fully lowered, I could flip the front stablizer bar with one finger. Jim said that was not right. He said he would send me a new set and see if that would fix the problem. He called back today and after doing a little research he did not think replacing the stabilizer bars would work. He said he lifted his bike without engaging the bars and his was solid. Jim said they was mine was doing was not right. He said he was shipping me a new lift.

Now that is some great customer service. Now, while I don't like having this kind of hassle, it is great to know someone will take care of a problem like this.

Old 07-07-2009, 02:20 PM
tejasrider
Tourer

Originally Posted by JaronB
If you read the papers that came with the jack, they recommend the highest setting for stability. I've sat on mine and it didn't budge. If I go around to the front I can tilt the back end off, but I have to use all 200lbs on myself pulling on the handles bars. When I paint my down tubes and had my fender off and I sat on the front tire and it took most of my weight to move it. Our bike aren't "AS" stable the the Ultra they used in their videos because of our tranny pan being in the way and having to put the jack an inch or so further back will give us a very little less support forward tilting. NOthing to worry about unless you plan on sitting on your front wheel regularly, but as everybody else said it's good to go. When my bike is just sitting on the jack in the garage I have it on the lowest setting and when I clean or work on it I put it all the way up. Just make sure you lower it to the locks!

I did have it on the highest setting, with the stabilizers set and I could rock the bike with one hand with very little effort. I made another post in reference to this. I contacted Jim at J&S and he said there had to be a problem with the jack.

Old 07-07-2009, 03:44 PM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just double checking.... You had the jack positioned right, not catching the oil pan or pan guard or jiffy stand mount, right.... i.e the jack was making good contact with the dyna frame bars?

You don't have a bent frame, right?

Old 07-07-2009, 04:17 PM
tejasrider
Tourer

Originally Posted by ColdCase
Just double checking.... You had the jack positioned right, not catching the oil pan or pan guard or jiffy stand mount, right.... i.e the jack was making good contact with the dyna frame bars?

You don't have a bent frame, right?
It only a year old adn never been down, would hope it doesn't have a bent frame

Yep, I while I had Jim on the phone, I described how and where I had the jack positioned and he said I had it positioned correctly. When I got home today, I rechecked everything and I noticed something I had not before, when the jack is on the floor with nothing on it, it has a wobble. And I did check it in in several spots on the floor to make sure it was not the floor, I even put a level around it, to make sure the floor was not the problem. When the bike is on the lift, you can see the jack wobble.

Last edited by tejasrider; 07-07-2009 at 04:21 PM.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:58 PM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts

when the jack is on the floor with nothing on it, it has a wobble.
Sounds like you have a collectors item - you know, like a misprinted coin...

Glad to hear you have a new one on it's way. Make sure you update us when the new one comes in.

Old 07-07-2009, 10:54 PM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

It only a year old adn never been down, would hope it doesn't have a bent frame

Yep, I while I had Jim on the phone, I described how and where I had the jack positioned and he said I had it positioned correctly. When I got home today, I rechecked everything and I noticed something I had not before, when the jack is on the floor with nothing on it, it has a wobble. And I did check it in in several spots on the floor to make sure it was not the floor, I even put a level around it, to make sure the floor was not the problem. When the bike is on the lift, you can see the jack wobble.

Well there you go, hopefully that's just it because you are the first person I've heard of with any problem related to this jack! Let us know how their customer service is for problems! I heard it was good in the past but that was just for the bottle jack.

Quick Reply: Dyna Owners with JS Lift