Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My first HD and what passanger seat to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 05:05 PM
justguth
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking My first HD and what passanger seat to buy?

I'm currently serving in Iraq and bought my first HD! I thought it was time to grow up and get rid of the crotch rockets. Needless to say I'm pretty excited seeing I will be home in about 30 days to pick it up from the guy and do some riding.

I bought a Street bob and was wondering if anyone had a passenger seat they would like to recommend. I'm looking for one that is separate from the single seat, because I can't stand the look of a 2 up seat, and I don't want it on there when I'm rolling solo. I would like to find something that is easy to get on/off and something that won't beat her up.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

I included a couple of pics of my new toy.......

Attached Thumbnails My first HD and what passanger seat to buy?-100_1397.jpg   My first HD and what passanger seat to buy?-100_1401.jpg   My first HD and what passanger seat to buy?-100_1398-1.jpg  

Last edited by justguth; 07-01-2009 at 05:23 PM.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:19 PM
Vinsil
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't help with the seat but I wanted to thank you for your service and sacrifices for my family and I.

Plus, welcome to the site and VERY nice Bob you bought!

Old 07-01-2009, 05:44 PM
BobStreetBob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First and foremost...thank you for your service.
On the seat thing...you can get the pillion that matches the stock seat you have. Most find the stock seat uncomfortable for long riding and get another aftermarket seat. I did. I went with Mustang and got a matching,very quick detachable passenger pillion to match it. Welcome to the forum and you made a great choice with the Streetbob.

Old 07-01-2009, 06:04 PM
DSnoopy
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for your service and a speedy return dude.

On topic, great choice in bike, if I do say so myself.

I have a wide glide seat on mine. You have a LOT of options for 2 up, and it depends mainly on who is riding with you, and how much. However, I would suggest the passenger pilon, which is removable when not in use. You can get them at the Harley Web Site or at a store. I think they are around $120-$130 area.

Have fun with the bike, you earned it.

PS - Watch out for the custom freaks here, or you'll quickly spend everything you have!

Old 07-01-2009, 06:26 PM
freebyrd
Road Master

i can vaguely make out the derby cover is that an iron cross on there cause i'm looking for one

Old 07-01-2009, 07:02 PM
Goddahavit
Tourer

If its only on for her get a comfy one.
perhaps a c&c sport tour, danny grey weekdy xl,

dont forget the pegs and mounts if it doesnt have them. currently swap between the stock set and pillion, and my lepara, but i don't like the stock seat, it sits me up and forward too far.
the wide glide seat i have is worse, that one is going...

I am looking for one of the 2 above mentioned 2up seats, they swap in 2 min, including adding a fender nut.

just a few options.

thanks your your service...
Eric

Old 07-01-2009, 07:42 PM
Poisond 08 Fatbob
Tourer

Originally Posted by Vinsil
I can't help with the seat but I wanted to thank you for your service and sacrifices for my family and I.

I would like to thank you as well!

Tim

Old 07-01-2009, 08:09 PM
UK Dave
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your service!

Don't be tempted to buy the HD pillion the stealer threw one in for me on my Bob and its the ugliest thing on my scoot; doesn't match the fender line at all and looks like it was designed as an afterthought.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:46 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

There are a lot of options and you'll have to choose between looks and comfort for the most part. Keep in mind that you'll have to install a rear seat nut regardless of whether you add a separate passenger seat or go with a solid 2-up seat. I'd recommend you try out the stock seat first as many of us realized that the stock seat wasn't the most comfortable in the world. So, buying a matching pillion seat might get you stuck. You'll have to remove/install a seat bolt when swapping the seats around anyway, so don't rule out an entirely new 2-up seat that you can just swap completely out and back and forth with your solo seat instead of just adding a pillion and removing it when you don't want it. Basically the same effort involved in either case.

My bike came standard with a 2-up seat and, as with most stock seats, it wasn't very comfortable. When I first went solo, I picked up a used stock streetbob seat from the forum here and found it wasn't very comfortable to me either. So, for solo, I prefer my Lepera BareBones seat and then for 2-up I went with a comfy but f'ugly HD Tallboy seat which is very similar to the HD Sundowner seat. I only use the Tallboy when the wife is riding and I install a detachable backrest with it. I also picked up a knurled seat bolt that I can remove by hand so I don't have to use a screwdriver everytime. I can swap seats in about 1 minute and no tools are needed. You may also want to pickup a seat nut cap of some sort to cover the rear hole when you are going solo.

As others have said, thanks for your service and come home safe.

Old 07-01-2009, 10:14 PM
F_CPT98
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vinsil

+1 on that comment...Enjoy the new ride!!

Quick Reply: My first HD and what passanger seat to buy?