Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fatbob Tri bar light.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009 | 08:21 PM
rschmidy
6th Gear
Default Magmini - a couple questions

1. I like the horn relocate alot what did you for a bracket looks like a chrome piece of flatbar but can't tell

2. Any hints on how to make a clean wire harness to splice from old to new - I am very **** about little details

3. How did you past a big picture of your bike into the main body

I really like your horn relocate - it is small details that really count NICE JOB

Rschmidy

Seattle

Old 09-08-2009 | 10:23 PM
MYKSHD
|
Road Captain
Default Tri Bar Broke.

I put the tribar on this summer 2008 Fatbob. Thought it was the best thing since sliced bread. After two days I checked the screws on the bottom corners and found that both plastic eyes were broke. I was pissed. I bought the light from a HD forum member so my dealer said go fish. I am sure that I tightened the two screws too tight and simply broke the eyelets. If you examine a new tribars fit at the bottom plastic eyes you will see that they do not fit nice and flush when tight.There is a small gap between the screw eyes and the back housing if you put too much twist on the screws the eyes will break. The gap should be filled with a small washer or similar. I ended up salvaging mine with some black fender washers. Don't notice them unless you know. But you know "You're gonna have some of that." He He! Mike

Old 09-09-2009 | 08:19 AM
magmini
Advanced

Originally Posted by rschmidy
1. I like the horn relocate alot what did you for a bracket looks like a chrome piece of flatbar but can't tell

2. Any hints on how to make a clean wire harness to splice from old to new - I am very **** about little details

3. How did you past a big picture of your bike into the main body

I really like your horn relocate - it is small details that really count NICE JOB

Rschmidy

Seattle
1 ) i used a piece of 1/8 diamond plate for the mount , bent it so the horn is in the right spot and painted it , it will be getting powder coated along with the pegs and side mount tag holder .

2 ) i just cut the old harness and spliced in some pieces of wire , using heat shrink tubing and black wire loom . stuffed the harness up between the tank and the frame with the other wires .

3 ) i think it was in the signature part of the forum .

Old 09-09-2009 | 08:40 AM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
From: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.

Originally Posted by fatbobmg
After two days I checked the screws on the bottom corners and found that both plastic eyes were broke. I am sure that I tightened the two screws too tight and simply broke the eyelets. If you examine a new tribars fit at the bottom plastic eyes you will see that they do not fit nice and flush when tight.There is a small gap between the screw eyes and the back housing if you put too much twist on the screws the eyes will break. The gap should be filled with a small washer or similar.
The will fit flush if you make sure the tabs at the top of the light are seated properly into the corresponding slots. You kinda have to work it around a bit, but they will fit flush. If they don't, you need to look and see why not rather than just torquing the screws on down.

Old 09-09-2009 | 09:47 AM
rschmidy
6th Gear

thanks I figured it was about tthat easy - will do it this weekend - I hate the lofation of the current horn
Originally Posted by magmini
1 ) i used a piece of 1/8 diamond plate for the mount , bent it so the horn is in the right spot and painted it , it will be getting powder coated along with the pegs and side mount tag holder .

2 ) i just cut the old harness and spliced in some pieces of wire , using heat shrink tubing and black wire loom . stuffed the harness up between the tank and the frame with the other wires .

3 ) i think it was in the signature part of the forum .

Old 09-09-2009 | 10:20 AM
magmini
Advanced

yeah i like the look with out the horn there . you can see the motor much better .

Old 09-09-2009 | 10:23 AM
magmini
Advanced

Originally Posted by fatbobmg
I put the tribar on this summer 2008 Fatbob. Thought it was the best thing since sliced bread. After two days I checked the screws on the bottom corners and found that both plastic eyes were broke. I was pissed. I bought the light from a HD forum member so my dealer said go fish. I am sure that I tightened the two screws too tight and simply broke the eyelets. If you examine a new tribars fit at the bottom plastic eyes you will see that they do not fit nice and flush when tight.There is a small gap between the screw eyes and the back housing if you put too much twist on the screws the eyes will break. The gap should be filled with a small washer or similar. I ended up salvaging mine with some black fender washers. Don't notice them unless you know. But you know "You're gonna have some of that." He He! Mike
hey if you call harley they know that it is a problem . go to the harley web site and call the main office . there were gonna replace mine again , but i figured why go get another light that is just gonna break on me anyway . so i decided to just fix the one i had .

Old 09-11-2009 | 09:32 PM
rschmidy
6th Gear
Default custom tri bar light install - minimize the ugly license plate

Old 09-12-2009 | 06:51 AM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
From: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.

Originally Posted by rschmidy
Nice, howd you do that?

Old 09-12-2009 | 10:04 PM
rschmidy
6th Gear
Default Discreet license instructions - easier than it sounds - really

Looks better in real life - have helped four others do it that saw it on my bike - no one likes stock light and stock fender - this cleans it up to where people say love the light and even the fender - stock tri bar only

1. shear the license plate (or use metal cutting blade on table) right above top mounting holes leave as little margin as possible between hole and sheared edge - you do not have to do this and you will only loose about 3/4 inch of "hiding" - but it is all in the details

2. The light kit is two piece - one light and one license bracket -

3. take license bracket and push recently cut license to top of bracket and match drill two holes to screw license to bracket

4. cut off little center tab of bracket - you are only going to use top two holes to mount license

5. purchase smoked cover from http://www.autobarn.net/smoke-tuf-shield.html

6. cut smoked cover with any radial or table saw right thru the bottom of top two holes - you are only going to use bottom two holes to mount cover right to license plate

7. use #10 - 32 flat head screws to mount cut license to new matched drilled holes in license bracket - use small length of fuel tube to space license out tangential to tire - jsut play with this a bit

8. attach smoked shield to license with two screws only in bottom two holes

that is it - really it is one trip to hardware store after you cut everything

good luck lemme know if you get stuck

Rick