Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 Dyna Wide Glide primary problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 05:35 PM
buzzpat1
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Dyna Wide Glide primary problems

Has anyone heard of the factory fix for the early wear-out problems for the rear primary bearing on this bike. Mine is in the shop for the second time since new. First time 8 k miles second time 16 k miles. The shop manager tells me they now have an unadvertised repair for this chronic problem. They remove the primary case outside and inside halves and the drives, replace the rear primary bearing and race, and the the inside case half with a piece that has dowel pins to keep the case in proper allignment. I have a fairly good mechanical aptitude but I have no shop manuals. I really would like to see some parts drawings to know exactly what they are talking about and that I'm not being snowed. I love my bike and want to know that this is a good fix.

Old 06-27-2009, 06:55 PM
ackman1968
Elite HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Think of it like bolting a transmission to a small block Chevy. There are two dowels on the back to keep the transmission input shaft aligned with the crankshaft.

Without those pins the shaft can become mis-aligned and damage soon follows. The way I understood it is the 2006 did not have the pins but 07 and later did.

Old 06-27-2009, 07:16 PM
Arcane
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The old inner primary case has two dowel bushings that interface with the transmission case. The new inner primary case has 4 dowel bushings that interface with the transmission case. The problem is that the old transmission case is configured to accept the inner primary case with only two dowel bushings. To fit the new inner primary case with 4 dowel bushings (The way it should have been configured to begin with.) They will need to ether replace the old transmission case and the old inner primary case or try to drill the old transmission case to accept the inner primary with 4 dowel bushings. The quickest way to get there is for them to replace the inner primary case and the transmission case. Another forum member has had the same recurrent problem and the ultimate fix was for HD to replace the transmission case and the inner primary case. (See the following link, it is a long one.)

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...y-bearing.html

Last edited by Arcane; 06-27-2009 at 08:07 PM.
Old 06-27-2009, 07:29 PM
buzzpat1
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting thread. I don't recall the service writer saying anything about the tranny case. I have visions of the shop tech holding his cordless Porter Cable drilling dowel pin holes. Yikes! Guess I'll call them ASAP to find out what they are going to do. Thanks for the words

Last edited by buzzpat1; 06-27-2009 at 07:37 PM.
Old 06-29-2009, 03:32 AM
PKellyMc
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: PacNW; Beacon of Conservatism in a Sea of Liberals.......AZ Snowbird; Just another Conservative
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Arcane's link is to my long-winded thread...all the info you should ever need on the IPB issue. If ya do need more, PM me. Got my bike back a month ago after its 2nd fail/fix; confident I won't see a 3rd. Good luck.

Last edited by PKellyMc; 06-29-2009 at 03:40 AM. Reason: Added thought