Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

progressive shocks

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 06:49 PM
jv225
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default progressive shocks

Ok I know it has been asked before but I did a search and can't find to much on it. Are progressive shocks worth the money? I have a 01 wideglide. I was considering the 412's or the 418's. It seems to me the 418's are more just for looks.Or do they perform better? I was also looking at the front spring kit and was wondering if anyone has any experience with that? I'm not looking to lower the bike at all just get a better ride. I'm about 215-220 and my wife rides 2 up with me quite a bit. I scrape the pipes a lot and bottom out once in awhile so I'm looking for something a little stiffer than stock. I'm leaning towards the 412 HD's in stock lenght. Oh also any suggestions on best place to buy them. The best price I've seen so far is eastern performance for $189 and free shipping.
Any advice is appreciated
Thanks
Jim

Old 05-18-2006, 07:24 PM
bobcowan
Road Warrior
Default RE: progressive shocks

I put a set of 412's on my '97 WG. Made a huge differance in ride quality. That was one of the first changes I made to my new SG. Huge improvement.

Still waiting for Race Tech to catch up.

Old 05-18-2006, 07:39 PM
Mr Wonderful
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Progressive makes excellent equipment.......you'll be most pleased, especially if you go with heavy duty standard length shocks and springs up front. Don't be tempted to lower the suspension.....the ride wil suffer a little.

Old 05-18-2006, 10:07 PM
hAkron
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a set of 420's on my last bike (a '94 1400 Suzuki Intruder) mostly to lower it from 13" shocks to 11.5" to tuck the tire up under the rear fender and once I got them dialed in they did improve the ride a lot over the stock shocks. I was thinking about putting a set on my '06 FXDCI. Def. worth the money.

Old 05-18-2006, 10:41 PM
Rapture Rider
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm running the 440 series standard length shocks with the HD springs on my superglide. up front switched to screaming eagle fork oil, this seems to be a well balanced combo.Though perhaps i didnt need the heavy springs since i always run the lightest preload and never bottom out even two up.

Old 05-19-2006, 02:31 AM
CraigC
Outstanding HDF Member

I'm thinking my next investment will be some Progressive shocks. Sounds like it's well worth the money.

Here's a question I haven't heard yet. I know all about tuning coilover shocks, how much tuning can be done with the forks? Can you change the valving? Can you add heavier oil for more dampening? I assume you can get progressive rate springs? I need to make some changes if possible because I bottom out far too often. Course it would probably help to lose about 75lbs too! [sm=imsmilin.gif]

Old 05-19-2006, 02:39 AM
mcurry5
Road Captain

mine should be here any day, i got the 11" blacks should lower the rear so you dont see the tire at all

Old 05-20-2006, 06:58 PM
Patch
Tourer

I have a set of the progressive 440's on the rear of my 2005 FXDCI. (they are the heavy duty version)
I would not get the heavy duty ones unless you are over 250 lbs. I am 250 lbs...not overweight, just short. they are a little firm but OK. Just a note...they are the stock height shocks in the rear.
I tried the progressive front fork springs ( stock height ) they were too firm for me.
I also had tried the SE front fork oil......better than the front springs in my opinion..
Try changing the front fork oil to SE first...BEFORE you change the front fork springs to progressive...especially if you do mostly touring.....
I do mostly Kentucky backroads...so firmer is OK for me.
But then I changed the front forks to the cartridge ones that came standard on the 2005 Dyna superglide sport models. (FXDX)
they are fully adjustable.....sport model no longer made....last model year...2005...lile my bike
SOooooo....I now have a Dyna SuperGlide Custon (FXDCI) with Progressive 440 standard lenght rear shocks-Heavy Duty.
The front forks from a Dyna Sport-fully adjustable...stock front fork oil
I added the dual disc brake up front
AND if that were not confusing enough....I put the bobtail rear fender on...which comes stock on Dyna wide glides.
SO...I have a DYNA-Superglide Custom with a sport front end (except for the tach) with a wide glide rear.
I think it's like that old car commrcial for the "FordChevamchryswagon" ????
when I pull into a parking lot people look at it for awhile wondering...which Dyna is that?????

bottom line ..it handles GREAT!

Old 06-07-2006, 10:08 AM
intruder400ex
Road Captain

Jim just a question only due to the fact some people dont do it first. Have you adjusted the positioning on the stock shocks at all. When I got my bike I thought the shocks sucked and then discovered they were on the smallest setting. Once I adjusted them I was much happier with them. Since then I lowered the bike 1 5/8 of an inch with progressive 412s 11" , I'm real happy with them also.

steve

Old 06-07-2006, 10:11 AM
intruder400ex
Road Captain

^^^^^^^^11" 412s

Quick Reply: progressive shocks