Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

changein fork springs

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 06:37 AM
cmonster
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default changein fork springs

I took out fork springs,spacers and washers in prep of using drop in progressive springs-with forks fully compressed im getting an oil level of three inches from top of tubes on both tubes sounds like overfull?on 08 sgc-also directions do not say but with the recomended spacer length of 1" how much am i lowering it?

Old 06-20-2009, 07:41 AM
Cornhusker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I didn't check but I think mine dropped about 2"s. My pic is with the old springs. Haven't updated yet.

Old 06-20-2009, 04:01 PM
cmonster
Tourer

ok got new springs in-with 1" spacer dropped front end 1 1/4 ''-still aint sure on fork oil level but both sides were even so i left as is as im gonna change it anyway at 10k-by the way ive got a new set of progressive drop ins that i ordered by mistake for 05 and later in the classifieds for 95. shipped

Old 06-20-2009, 04:09 PM
benwiggin2
Road Master

check on measuring oil level with forks fully compressed. Pretty sure they are supposed be un-compressed for fork oil level.

Old 06-20-2009, 04:29 PM
paul s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Level is checked with forks compressed, with Progressive springs the level is different. They displace more oil, 5.5 is what Progressive recommends.

Old 06-21-2009, 12:34 AM
benwiggin2
Road Master

Originally Posted by paul s
Level is checked with forks compressed, with Progressive springs the level is different. They displace more oil, 5.5 is what Progressive recommends.
just 5.5 ounces? huh, whadyya know?

Old 06-21-2009, 01:19 AM
paul s
Outstanding HDF Member

I'm talking about distance from the top like he was, 5.5 inches, I thought it would be a no brainer.

Last edited by paul s; 06-21-2009 at 01:22 AM.
Old 06-21-2009, 07:38 AM
cmonster
Tourer

thanks for the info-think this is first time ive heard of too much oil from factory-usally hear too little or uneven level! ps-still have fork springs for sale gonna send em back next week if not sold here!!good deal for some one

Old 06-21-2009, 10:41 AM
paul s
Outstanding HDF Member

http://www.progressivesuspension.com...rings/3055.pdf It isn't that you had too much from the factory, the Progressive springs displace more oil and that will raise your level.

Old 06-21-2009, 12:53 PM
NoLongerAmember
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by paul s
http://www.progressivesuspension.com...rings/3055.pdf It isn't that you had too much from the factory, the Progressive springs displace more oil and that will raise your level.
The way I read the first post is that the stock level was way too high to start with, but how was it measured? To properly measure the fork oil level height they need to be straight up and down, so if it was measured at an angle he may have measured the highest point and the level is probably at the correct level. This needs to clarified.

I don't see any recommendation other than use the H-D manual specs for fork oil level in the instruction for the "drop in" springs? I see no mention of 5.5" ?

After reading the instructions, I think these springs are a joke. The ride height is set with the length of the preload spacer, how can you ever properly set preload since the preload spacer sets the the height and there is nothing keeping the forks from fully extending?
I have got to call these guys to explain this to me.

CB

Quick Reply: changein fork springs