Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Denim Paint?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 01:13 PM
NoLongerAmember
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Denim Paint?

Ok, it has been 3+ years since this paint came out, how is it holding up.

I am so tired of my gloss black paint and the up keep to keep it looking good, I am not talking show quality perfection and I do know how to properly keep a finish, so I am seriously considering going to the wash and wear Denim paint. I am not so concerned with the ability to repair scratches, I am pretty careful with my paint and I know the pitfalls of the Denim.
I like the Crimson Red, I know not a lot of you don't like the color, but I do and I am kind of tired of black tins in general, the bike just looks like the plain Jane.

I am thinking of getting a take off set of tins, but does anyone have experience with spraying this paint or having someone spray it for them. Isn't this paint a base coat with a flat clear?

Am I just trading one bad for another?
CB

Old 06-19-2009, 01:31 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Powder those suckers man! super easy much more durrable than paint!

Old 06-19-2009, 02:40 PM
NoLongerAmember
Banned

JRK5892: Powder those suckers man! super easy much more durrable than paint!
I like the Idea of powder, but if were to go with a gloss I will still end up with that light spider webbing in the gloss that needs to be polished out. I did a frame up on my 67' L78 Chevelle Malibu quite a few years back and I powdered all the chassis pieces using gloss black and although it held up fantastic and looked great, I ended up with that fine spider webbing in the gloss. Other than durability, are there flat powders and would that be any different than paint as far as scratches? What are my choices with powder as far as color and the difference in costs?
CB

Old 06-19-2009, 04:01 PM
2XNightTrain
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cbz1200n
Ok, it has been 3+ years since this paint came out, how is it holding up.

I am so tired of my gloss black paint and the up keep to keep it looking good, I am not talking show quality perfection and I do know how to properly keep a finish, so I am seriously considering going to the wash and wear Denim paint. I am not so concerned with the ability to repair scratches, I am pretty careful with my paint and I know the pitfalls of the Denim.
I like the Crimson Red, I know not a lot of you don't like the color, but I do and I am kind of tired of black tins in general, the bike just looks like the plain Jane.

I am thinking of getting a take off set of tins, but does anyone have experience with spraying this paint or having someone spray it for them. Isn't this paint a base coat with a flat clear?

Am I just trading one bad for another?
CB

When I did the trade up from my Nightster which had the Vivid Black I decided that I wanted Denim Black just so I wouldn't have to worry about scratches and such. I got tired of the continual having to polish.

Old 06-19-2009, 04:04 PM
notfried
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by JRK5892
Powder those suckers man! super easy much more durrable than paint!
+58!!

Old 06-19-2009, 04:20 PM
NoLongerAmember
Banned

Originally Posted by notfried
+58!!
Why? Do have any answers to my questions about powder? Thanks.
CB

Old 06-19-2009, 04:30 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by cbz1200n
I like the Idea of powder, but if were to go with a gloss I will still end up with that light spider webbing in the gloss that needs to be polished out. I did a frame up on my 67' L78 Chevelle Malibu quite a few years back and I powdered all the chassis pieces using gloss black and although it held up fantastic and looked great, I ended up with that fine spider webbing in the gloss. Other than durability, are there flat powders and would that be any different than paint as far as scratches? What are my choices with powder as far as color and the difference in costs?
CB
man you can do any color you can imagine with powder! if you are getting spider webs that is completely diff that is problems in the clear! there are flat powder we shoot them alot! it is just tuffer, we shoot a super durrable black powder that is just tuff as nails! mening if you zipper brushes it your not going to get a huge scratch, now if you drag a screwdriver across it it is going to scratch!

Old 06-19-2009, 04:34 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I met a guy a couple weeks ago with '06 black denim SB and maybe he just hadn't kept it up , but it looked shabby to me. Sad

Old 06-19-2009, 04:45 PM
NoLongerAmember
Banned

Originally Posted by JRK5892
man you can do any color you can imagine with powder! if you are getting spider webs that is completely diff that is problems in the clear! there are flat powder we shoot them alot! it is just tuffer, we shoot a super durrable black powder that is just tuff as nails!
I completely understand that it is durable as hell, but any gloss, especially black, is going to get those dreaded spiderweb or swirl marks, the kind that Meg's #9 removes and that is what I am trying to avoid. Is the gloss powder less susceptible to swirl and spiderweb marks these days? I want to stay away from black, can Crimson Denim be matched? How would I go about that? If I did go with a powder, what kind of prep needs to be done? I take it all the paint would need to be stripped? In your experience, what would my cost to powder all the tins be?
Thanks
CB

Old 06-19-2009, 04:48 PM
Duke55
Intermediate

I still Prefer the shiney side up.

Quick Reply: Denim Paint?