Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wider tire dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009 | 10:37 AM
yso191
|
Club Member
Default Wider tire dilemma

OK, I know this topic has been talked about a lot, and I've been following the threads. I still haven't made up my mind though. Here is where I'm at:

I want a wider tire. 160 is stock, 180 would be nice. I had originally thought I'd go with the Metzler Z6 180 in the back and 110 in the front... but I need to save money and my front tire still has 1/2 of its life left so...

I thought I'd see what dunlop had (sticking with same tire brand to match the front). I could get the SE 180 (43768-06) which has a kit to tuck the wires out of the way for $280. BUT it requires part 53975-06 for $25. AND that part requires a turn signal relocation kit (60215-06) for $80! Now I'm up to $385. More than the Metzlers for BOTH tires ($325).

So,

Do I go with the Metzlers? Do they require a wire-tuck kit as well?

OR, do I go with the narrower 170 Dunlop D407 (41998-07) for $192 which does not require a wire-tuck kit? But it doesn't get me the 180 I was looking for.

OR is there a way to get around the whole HD wire-tuck kit thing and avoid the 2 other required parts?

As things stand now, it looks like the D407 unless I'm missing something. Maybe by next year/next tire change there'll be more options or clearer ones.

What do you think?

Steve

Old 06-17-2009 | 10:42 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member

go with the 170 avon or metzler. adrian vail has a 170 avon he got for low priced. He used to have the SE 180 and I believe that he likes the 170 avon much better. He also did a wider front avon as well. I think he paid for both avons about the same as a SE 180 rear tire alone costs(or real close). I few mm of extra width that no one will notice but you is hardly worth the extra money or hassle IMHO.

Old 06-17-2009 | 10:59 AM
thedonthere
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by rounder
go with the 170 avon or metzler. adrian vail has a 170 avon he got for low priced. He used to have the SE 180 and I believe that he likes the 170 avon much better. He also did a wider front avon as well. I think he paid for both avons about the same as a SE 180 rear tire alone costs(or real close). I few mm of extra width that no one will notice but you is hardly worth the extra money or hassle IMHO.
+1 I run a 170 and it looks the same as a 180 to me

Old 06-17-2009 | 12:55 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member

Since when does the wide tire kit require signal relocation? Many of us have the SE 180 wide tire and did not buy the kit and certainly didn't have to relocate our turn signals. You can install that tire if you are comfortable that your wiring is secured and out of the way. However, you may not get a HD dealer to do it for you without buying the kit. I got an indy to order my tire and install it for me. And there have been plenty of places posted on here where you can get the tire by itself for less than 200 bucks.

Old 06-17-2009 | 04:06 PM
AFHuey
Cruiser

I did the 180 upgrade without relocating the turn signals. You can do the 180 without using the kit if you are planning on keeping the ride height the same. Once I dropped the *** end of my bike down, I decided that I would secure the wires better as to not risk chafing.

Old 06-17-2009 | 06:02 PM
bberck
Elite HDF Member

I am going through the same thing right now. I got over 11k on the stock rear and need to make a decision.

Deciding between the

SE 180
Pirelli Night Dragon 180 - Still Looking for more info on this one
Avon storm 170
Dunlop D407 170

Bottom 3 all run about the same price and about $45 less than my Indy can get me the SE 180 for. I dont plan to install the wiring kit. You can always buy it later if decide you need it.

Going to decide tonight and order tomorrow hopefully.

Old 06-17-2009 | 06:30 PM
cramil
Tourer

If that is a QD sissy bar/rack set up you have then you don't need the wide tire kit, other than checking your wiring if you don't relocate the sigs. I relocated my turnsignals to the plate so there is no wiring at the rear strut bolt, and the QD hardware gets you basically the same set-up as the wide tire kit. I fit a 200mm Avon with no other changes than that to the bike as far as clearances. I just pulled my rear wheel today (for some other unfortunate reasons seen in another post ) and took a close look at everything and all I have is some light rubbing on the rubber "wire loom" on the inside of the fender for the tail/turn harness. And I am running 11" progressives too.

Old 06-17-2009 | 09:31 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member

I put the D407 on the rear of mine just last weekend. Pretty happy with it. And as Don said, you're gonna be hard pressed to tell the diff between it and the SE180 from the back as far as width goes. I picked mine up for 155.00 and free shipping.

Old 06-18-2009 | 01:06 AM
Funkhousert
Cruiser

Originally Posted by cramil
If that is a QD sissy bar/rack set up you have then you don't need the wide tire kit, other than checking your wiring if you don't relocate the sigs. I relocated my turnsignals to the plate so there is no wiring at the rear strut bolt, and the QD hardware gets you basically the same set-up as the wide tire kit. I fit a 200mm Avon with no other changes than that to the bike as far as clearances. I just pulled my rear wheel today (for some other unfortunate reasons seen in another post ) and took a close look at everything and all I have is some light rubbing on the rubber "wire loom" on the inside of the fender for the tail/turn harness. And I am running 11" progressives too.

This should be a sticky at the top of the Dyna forum. Maybe some would not have to ask what mods need to be done to fit a 200 rear tire. You obviously made it work PLUS you just checked for damages and fine littel to none so when I am ready, I think I will look at the Avon 200 and avoid debating if it will work as I now know that it will....so thanks for showing this in this thread.

So yso191....from what cramil says, you should be able to get that 180 in there without a kit from HD and save some money that way. As other stated they have the 170 and it looks like a 180. So if you cant tell a difference in 10mm save some more money and get the 170 and tell everyone its a 180 and see if anyone can tell the difference.

Old 06-18-2009 | 07:03 AM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member

A 200 Avon on the stock rear dyna rim and no under fender mods? Yeh, good luck with that.

Quick Reply: Wider tire dilemma