Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street Bob - Complete Tail Light Removal

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 10:14 AM
mhawk
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Street Bob - Complete Tail Light Removal

I just bought my first HD over the weekend and I want to clean up the rear end quite a bit. Has anyone taken off the tail light assembly completely? If so, what did you do with the rather large hole on the top of the fender? Even the low profile LED would be better than stock but I don’t think it will fit. I am hoping to not have a tail light on the fender. I am also planning on moving the license plate to the side and relocating the turn signals at some point after something is done with the tail light. Thanks in advance.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:37 AM
Dyna-Asa
Road Captain

I want to do the same thing, when I do I will take the fender to a good body shop and have the holes filled and probably have all the tins painted...

Old 06-16-2009, 11:00 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I am doing it now... there are 2 ways you can do it... body work and paint or like i am doing is welding it all in, then brazing the hole shut... i actually am then adding an additional 4 inches to the end of the fender to give it more of a sweep. I am doing it by welding and brazing so that i can powdercoat the fender after i am done. this will let me change the color every month if i want to... it is coming along well so far... but will be a while before it is done...

Old 06-16-2009, 11:11 AM
mhawk
6th Gear

What about having an aftermarket fender painted to match the Black Denim on the front fender? I imagine this would cost alot.

Old 06-16-2009, 11:16 AM
r00k
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mhawk
What about having an aftermarket fender painted to match the Black Denim on the front fender? I imagine this would cost alot.
Depends on who does it, Harley usually wants a lot of cash to do this but a good body shop can do it too for much cheaper.

Old 06-16-2009, 11:22 AM
compgeek789
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are tons of aftermarket fenders around. I researched them for a while but never found one that I liked as much as my stock fender. At a reasonable price, anyway.

I ended up buying a used fender off ebay for $50 and sent it off to a body shop. It's getting filled in by a welder and repainted denim black. I hope to have it back this weekend. I'm moving the license plate over to a side mount and running the Run/Brake/Turn module so I won't need a brake light at all. Fender should be nice and clean!

Old 06-16-2009, 12:17 PM
dpriest
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

just chop it up as far as you can. it gets rid of all those holes. i didnt want a taillight either but with all these crazy *** drivers up here in NY, i needed one.

Old 06-16-2009, 12:23 PM
mhawk
6th Gear

Thanks for all the great info. I think I will prob end up going the aftermarket route at some point. I would think the large hole for the wires is too far up to chop it. I would prob add a strip of LEDs under the back of the fender to add a bit more visibility. The drivers here in Dallas can't be any better than those in NY.

Old 06-16-2009, 01:25 PM
stell55chevy
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i went the after market fender route. ended up being pretty cheap.
cut and drilled it myself and sent it off to be powdercoated instead of paint. it is cheaper and more durable that way. there generic black that they had was nuts on to the vivid black paint of my bike. this was a really easy way to mod rear fender

Attached Thumbnails Street Bob - Complete Tail Light Removal-rsz_1new_mod_011.jpg  
Old 06-16-2009, 03:02 PM
07bobber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Stell lets see some pics of your rear fender pwdercoated...

Quick Reply: Street Bob - Complete Tail Light Removal