Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5th gear oil seal

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 09:14 AM
Kabear
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,104 Likes on 1,204 Posts
Unhappy 5th gear oil seal

Is it possible to change the 5th gear oil seal without removing the gear from the transmission?

The bike is a 2002 FXDXT, and at 90,000 miles the seal started leaking. I've changed the inner primary seal and starter seal which slowed down the leak but didn't stop it. The transmission outer seal didn't appear to be leaking. The oil is actually running down the primary. This is also a static leak that is independent on if the bike has been run or not. Oil level is correct in transmission, I normally keep the oil between the full and add level.

Also, when I pulled the inner primary I noticed the drive pulley was loose and the nut was only hand tight, how could this be? This nut has not been touched since the bike was new. The nut is held with a locking plate and doesn't appear to be any way for this to loosen unless there is something that can ware out behind the pulley??

Any help appreciated.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:38 AM
Phrogman
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not much of a tranny guy, but I'll give you a bump. There's only two parts of a Harley I haven't torn down. The lower end and the tranny.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:34 AM
Kabear
Grand HDF Member

That seems to be a problem for quite a few people, OTH the transmission almost never gives trouble.. Thanks

Old 06-11-2009, 08:42 PM
Azgunner
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You've got to pull the inner primary & tranny pulley & the main shaft race to replace the 5th gear seal. The seal is on the main shaft behind the race.

I can't imagine how that pulley nut was loose especially when you go thru the procedure to tighten it, no less also having the locking plate to secure it.

What is the starter seal you're talking about?

Good to see another high miler around, I just crossed the 100k threshold a few hundred miles ago.

Old 06-12-2009, 06:49 AM
Kabear
Grand HDF Member

The start seal is where the input shaft passes through the primary and the starter engages the clutch gear. I had heard that this one somtimes leaks so had replaced it just in case.

Good to know I can get at that 5th gear seal without pulling the transmission apart.

Thanks.

Friend of mine has 125,000+ on his bike and so far has only done the top end. So I'm hoping to get at least that many miles on my bike, did engine factory swap on the wife's bike(evo) and will do the same on mine, but not until the bottom end goes bad at which ever mileage that may be.

At least the Twin Cam is eaiser to pull primary than the Evo.