Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyna Kickstand Nightmares

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 07:47 AM
big_johnson
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Dyna Kickstand Nightmares

I installed 11" progressive shocks on a '05 Dyna so my wife could contact the ground and feel more stable when stopped. After installing the shorter shocks I soon found that the stock jiffy stand would no longer allow the bike to be parked at a safe angle depending on the terrain. Soooo, I went to J&P Cycles and purchased a chrome Dyna jiffy stand that was 1" shorter and installed that. After this installation the bike sits at a very safe angle when the stand in down. Unfortunately the 1" shorter jiffy stand is now totally impossible to catch with your foot, heel or toe. Soooo, I went out to my local Harley shop and purchased a jiffy stand extension and installed that little device which now made it very easy to find the kickstand. However, the stock Harley extension now hits the bottom of the clutch case when in the up position because the kickstand is 1" shorter than stock.
Before I remove all this crap, or start designing my own jiffy stand extension I thought I would throw this out to some of you Harley pros for a solution. I'm pretty sure that I'm not the first person to lower a '05 Dyna. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:09 AM
super05
Cruiser

you should have bought a jiffy for a 05 lowrider from HD.
the jiffy isn't really shorter - but the bend angle is different, allowing for enough lean.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:22 AM
shawn e.
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have someone sit on the bike with the kickstand up and make sure the rubber bumper on the frame is oriented properly. It could be twisted around.

Shawn

Old 06-09-2009, 08:56 AM
Gary7
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by super05
you should have bought a jiffy for a 05 lowrider from HD.
the jiffy isn't really shorter - but the bend angle is different, allowing for enough lean.
Yup. I had the same issues when I put lower shocks on my Sportster. Aftermarket jiffy stands were a joke. You could not catch any of the ones I tried with heel or toe. I wound up getting the chrome jiffy stand for an XL Custom and that solved the problem. Wish I'd done that first. It would have saved a lot of time and money.

Old 06-09-2009, 09:50 AM
Swamphunter
Road Captain

I too have 11" progressives on my bike and the shorter stand, but don't have a lot of problems catching it with my heel. Maybe at first, but kind of got used to it.

Old 06-09-2009, 10:07 AM
thedonthere
Outstanding HDF Member

Search the under $50.00 threads for jiffy stand mods. I lowered my bike and had the same issue. If you'll look on the stand you'll see a tab that comes off the stand and contacts the frame. Remove (grind or machine) about 5mm (3/16) off that tab.This will allow the bike to lean more. Works perfectly with no issues like you are reporting. It's readily accessible with your heel and doesn't hit anything when it's up.

Old 06-09-2009, 10:08 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

huh weird... i have 11 in on mine and 1 in in the front with no issues... you can always heat and bend it out a bit, a while back someone posted how to cut a tab to get a bit more out of it as well.. maybe someone will chime in wiht that

Old 06-09-2009, 09:18 PM
LWOS
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm 5'2" tall with a 26" inseam and did the exact same thing to my Low Rider......put the 11" Progressive 430's and Progresive front fork lowering kit. Before they did this, I couldnt reach the kickstand at all and hold the bike up at the same time. When they lowered it, I still had problems trying to hook it with my foot. We just put the extension on it and it's fine now. Believe me when I say it's not going to fall over. Granted it's not leaning way over like some other bikes do, but look at my signature photo.

Old 06-09-2009, 09:31 PM
Gwjvw
Road Warrior

Mines lowered front and rear with stock stand, works fine,but one day i might buy a shorter one! Glad to hear about the lowrider stand!!

Old 06-09-2009, 09:45 PM
NoLongerAmember
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Put your old stand back on and try this mod.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/3258533-post818.html
CB

Sorry I had to try out a new smilie

Last edited by NoLongerAmember; 06-09-2009 at 09:57 PM.

Quick Reply: Dyna Kickstand Nightmares