Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what comes in the 180 tire kit?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 04:07 PM
NoLongerAmember
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by HoosierHarley
I put a 170 tire under the back of my bike with no modifications and I am running the removable sissy bar so don't think the bolts sticking thru would be an issue on the fender. I will tell you this when you go to a 170 tire or bigger on stock rim you are sacrificing traction. I started out with the stock tire witch was the 160 wore it out went to a 170 tire same tread pattern as the 160 was and lost traction didnt feel safe in the rain any more just was not happy with it so I ended up putting on a sport bike 170 tire looked cool regained my traction due to tire being sticky and a soft compound but after making a 1700 mile trip leaving with good tread and coming home on a bald tire (total of 3500 miles on tire)I would think twice about getting soft compound tire. I have now gone back to a 160 tire still a sport bike tire that is considered to be a every day tire but I still think its going to wear out within 4,000 miles. But I am not paying the Harley 250 dollars for a rear tire. I can buy 2 tires pull my rims off and myself and change both front and back tires for the cost of what it would cost me to buy one front tire from Harley and have them mound and ballance it.

My reasoning for going back to the 160 is for traction purposes .
When you mound a wider tire on the stock rim whats happening is your taking a tire and pinching pulling the side wals inwards and what this is doing and actualy making the tire balloon out in the center of the tread causing you to have less surface contact to the road.
I plan on going bigger again but not until I get my new rim for the bike that is made for the larger 190 series tire.

I also am not buying tires from Harley any more its way to expensive for a tire that has Harley imprinted on them. I bought Shinko's for front and back with a v speed rating. I will tell you having the sport bike tire on the rear does give the bike a different look its pretty cool.

This is the Shinko rear tire I went with for the rear 160 70 17
I have to mount it yet waiting for the holiday weekend to be over so I can put it on the lift take the rims off and take them in for changing.

Here is the rim I intend on going to when I put my 190 on the back of my bike this rim is capable of 180 - 200 size tire I will more than likely be doing a 180 I could probably stuff a 200 under there once I go to chain drive but I think the 190 will be just fine.
I don't know what 170 tire you went with, but you're the first I have heard of that has complained of going to a wider rear and went back to the 160?

I went with the Pirelli Night Dragon 180/60-17 and the 100/90-19 and have now been on some good runs through the twisties and these tires work very, very well. I have so much more confidence when cornering now, it is like night and day and feel the front tire, over the stock D401, has made the most impact on the improved feel/ability when cornering but the back really sticks when I get on the throttle out of a corner where even the K591 would sightly break loose.

There is no fitment issues with the fender and the Pirelli 180 is designed to fit the 4.5" rim and Pirelli also states that the Night Dragon has an 8% larger contact patch than other tires. I have about 1,200 mi on the tires and the rear shows no sign of squaring off at all yet, but I need to put quite a few more miles on these tires to get an idea of what I can expect to get.

I can not vouch for wet weather handling, but have read where they handle well in the rain.
I bought mine @ www.motorcyclesuperstore.com on sale $162R and $98F to my door.

If you are going to run a 180 then try the Pirelli out before buying a wheel to up the size. That said, I don't see any issues with running a 200 with a 5.5" rim, so if you go with that size wheel I would run a 200.
In my opinion and experience, I would not run a solid rear wheel, especially if you ride where it is even a little windy.

As far as the wide tire "kit", I used the kit brackets and purchased button head bolts simply because they route the wires much better, further back and close to the fender. Heck, I would recommend these brackets even for a stock tire, my wires were always coming loose from the stock brackets.

CB

Old 08-01-2009, 06:54 PM
LX HEMI
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just bought a Dunlap 180/55/17 for my 06 Bob. Should be good right?

Old 08-01-2009, 06:58 PM
dope_man_21
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I went with the Pirelli Night Dragon 180/60 17, no problems and it was about $75.00 cheaper than the Screamin Eagle dunlap. I have not done but about 300-350 miles on this tire, but the cornering grip feels a lot better than stock.

Old 08-02-2009, 01:02 AM
LX HEMI
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dope_man_21
I went with the Pirelli Night Dragon 180/60 17, no problems and it was about $75.00 cheaper than the Screamin Eagle dunlap. I have not done but about 300-350 miles on this tire, but the cornering grip feels a lot better than stock.
did you do any mods when installing the 180?