Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ethanol

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 02:28 PM
DGDyna
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Ethanol

Stopped for gas and as I put the nozzle back I noticed that it said “10% Ethanol”. How, it at all will this affect my engine? I had about 1/3rd of a tank at the time.

It was an older Mobil station so I couldn’t tell if the ethanol sticker was for the regular (87) or the premium (93) I put in. I use Mobil because they have their own refineries and their stations won’t shop for the cheapest gas. We don’t have any Shell station near Buffalo, NY. Lots of Sunoco, Noco, Coastal and Mobil.

What brand of gas do you use?

Old 06-08-2009, 02:42 PM
shimmon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whatever i can get... But its usually marathon or valero b/c they are clostest to work and home

Old 06-08-2009, 02:52 PM
Redbeard
Stellar HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 46 Posts

I stick with Chevron/Texaco, and a while back I noticed stickers on the pumps that say fuel contains up to 10% ethanol. It's pretty common now, so hard to avoid. I've heard conflicting reports of how ethanol affects modern vehicles. I guess it varies by the actual amount of it in the fuel. But again, it's hard to avoid these days so I'm forced to take my chances with any long term effects.

Old 06-08-2009, 03:05 PM
DGDyna
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No Chevron or Texaco around here either.

Other than from tree-huggers, I've never heard anything good about putting ethanol in gasoline.

Old 06-08-2009, 03:07 PM
FlatDF
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We've had 10% ethanol in our fuel here in southern new england for at least 3 years now. You wont notice much difference, if anything, maybe 1-2 mpg less than a standard ethanol free gasoline. As far as gas, I avoid the no-name chains and Citgo. Never had a car run worse than on Citgo gas...another reason I don't use Syn3 products.

Chris

Old 06-08-2009, 03:10 PM
Topspin
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All the gas you buy contains 1-10% ethanol. So why worry.

Old 06-08-2009, 03:22 PM
bowman78
Cruiser
Default I wish the fuel system were up to e-85

i would love to be able to run e-85 in my bike... has a really high octane rating and burns cleaner and cooler..... downside is higher fuel consumption but ill take it for a cooler running bike.........tim

Old 06-08-2009, 03:27 PM
redrubicon2004
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ethanol wont make a difference that you will notice. I would rather see 10% or more Ethanol. Ethanol is produced by corn right here in the midwest. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethanol#As_a_fuel

Old 06-08-2009, 03:46 PM
sata6
Cruiser

Ethanol is fine it won't hurt your engine just as long as it dosn't excede 10% it will actually clean your injectors. just stay away from mythonal as said in your manual.

Old 06-08-2009, 04:03 PM
LWOS
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

One word of caution....... dont store you bike with ethanol laced gasoline. It will separate after 30 days, and will attract moisture.

Just bought a Craftsman string trimmer and on page 13 of the manual, warned about using ethanol laced gas and storage the unit....Said if not planning to use it for 30 days or longer.....run it dry.
So for your bike, if you do use gas with ethanol, I suggest you empty the tank, that is unless you ride it year around....or find premium gas without ethanol. We use Shell VPower or BP. We NEVER use Sonoco... pay the same price, but get less octane.

Quick Reply: Ethanol