Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to use for fork oil?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 10:13 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

You're fine Rocket.... just sidestep the ****....

BTW, how did ya make out? What did you end up doing?

Old 06-07-2009, 10:51 PM
Ironbarr
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SC-Longhair
My first thought on reading this is: why would you need to "top off" fork oil? it's a closed system and unless you have a major leak going on, no fluid is going to be leaving the "system".

Indy = independent motorcycle shop ie not a harley dealer.
If it's designed, and meant, to be full my thought was about what's going on inside the system while running the road if it's not full or not the right oil.

Thanks for the reply and the info re Indy.

Old 06-07-2009, 10:53 PM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts

That's why I like Bel Ray. It says right on the bottle bigger than shat what it is.

Old 06-09-2014, 02:46 PM
FLYER
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I posted this info in the front suspension section of the forum, but sometimes info doesn't see the light of day because it is not posted in the forum we normally read. So I am reposting here, I think it will help this discussion.

Mike Wilhite at Latus motors and I have been discussing how to compare stock Harley oil weights with other brands. If you are not already aware the "weight" listed by a manufacturer on their shock oil is not based on any kind of a standard for reference with other manufacturers. For example a 10 weight from one company does not necessarily compare with a 10 weight from another.

But here is a link to a chart that lists the Cst@40 measurement that is a measurement that can be used for accurate comparison.

The HD oils are not listed on this chart however the product MSDS lists the type B at 32, the type E at 35 Cst@40 , and the SE at 66 Cst@40 . You will get a real eye opener when you start comparing those numbers on a chart. For Example a BelRay 10w comes in right between the type B and E at 33. The Castrol 10w shock oil comes in at a rating of 15, so you can see what I mean about the rated w not being comparable.

I thought this is interesting and useful information.

http://www.peterverdone.com/wiki/ind...spension_Fluid

Old 06-09-2014, 03:00 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocket350
Manual calls for 26.6 oz per fork. The HD oil comes in 1 pt (16 oz).

WTF why would they sell it like this? Who dismantles thir front end to add a few oz's? They should know better than to sell me two pints. I guess I am the jacka$$ for not knowing thier product better than them. And yes, they knew what bike I was buying it for b/c I bought seals too. They get me... everytime!
I buy amsoil and it comes in 1 qt bottles. I have some left over from the 2 I bought and I'mm all set for the next change in 25K miles because I had ordered 4.

Some of those HD parts guys and even the teks don't think about anything past the end of their next paycheque man. Your not the first and you cetainly won't be the last!

Old 06-09-2014, 03:02 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by maddghost
I buy amsoil and it comes in 1 qt bottles. I have some left over from the 2 I bought and I'mm all set for the next change in 25K miles because I had ordered 4.

Some of those HD parts guys and even the teks don't think about anything past the end of their next paycheque man. Your not the first and you cetainly won't be the last!

Damitt I just noticed how old this thread actually is!

Old 06-09-2014, 03:11 PM
Von_Zipper
Road Warrior
Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts

After some experimenting I found Bel-Ray 7W with slight overfill over recommended stock level worked best for me. But my bike is not Dyna ...
Regardless, use Bel-Ray instead of stock.

Old 06-09-2014, 03:19 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

After some experimenting I found Bel-Ray 7W with slight overfill over recommended stock level worked best for me. But my bike is not Dyna ...
Regardless, use Bel-Ray instead of stock.
That was my fork oil of choice in my sporty...I'm running intimidators in my dyna and they were developed with the amzoil shock therapy so I use that in my dyna.

The HD fork oil is total crap in my opinion...anything else would probably be an improvement