Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to use for fork oil?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 10:30 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

Rocket - I would imagine you can dump pretty much anything into the forks in a pinch. There isn't a lot of risk of "failure". The worst thing I can imagine would happen would be that a seal would fail prematurely due to improper oil... maybe... after some period of time.

In your shoes... I'd dump whatever in there, then replace it with the correct oil as soon as possible.

Old 06-07-2009, 01:31 PM
NoLongerAmember
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by FastHarley
E= 5W. Oils are different with HD. If you have a =< 2006 SG than you can put in the amount your manual says. I did help with AdrianVail's bike but forget the measurements. Look and see what it says, but it is somewhere between 110mm ~ 130 mm. I do not own a 49mm new style Dyna so I do not remember. Use one of these PRO OIL LEVEL TOOL if you measure

Go to a race bike shop near you and purchase some good oil around the E style original HD 5W. The heavier the oil the more stiction (parasitic drag) and also the harsher the bike rides. You change the valving and not the weight of the oil if you wish to change the ride characteristics. The oil you put in the forks must lubricate the bushings as well as acting as a hydraulic pump. I do not recommend any oil other than fork oil but than again, it is your bike. Do not mixed the new and the old oils.

I also beg to differ with you as to whose fault the oil shortage is. You are the mechanic and not the parts guy. You should have had your install mapped out prior to starting.
Where do you get your info that Type E is 5wt? It is my understanding and my experience that Type E is 10wt and SE HD is 15wt. Now there may be a difference in oils between manufactures, except there are standards to follow to meet certain specifications. I saw a significant difference in using a Belray 5wt fluid in place of the H-D Type E in both my Sportster 39mm and my Dyna 49mm forks.
CB

Old 06-07-2009, 02:37 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

ATF will work in a pinch.

Old 06-07-2009, 04:09 PM
Ironbarr
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Per my sig I'm going to take a Devil's Advocate shot here... could be totally wrong, but -

Is there not a problem with 1) not topping off the fork oil, and 2) mixing oils (type and viscosity) each or both contributing to air bubbles/frothing due to the hydraulic agitation? Something along the lines of air in brake lines, maybe?

BTW: "Indy"?

Old 06-07-2009, 04:32 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironbarr
Per my sig I'm going to take a Devil's Advocate shot here... could be totally wrong, but -

Is there not a problem with 1) not topping off the fork oil, and 2) mixing oils (type and viscosity) each or both contributing to air bubbles/frothing due to the hydraulic agitation? Something along the lines of air in brake lines, maybe?

BTW: "Indy"?
My first thought on reading this is: why would you need to "top off" fork oil? it's a closed system and unless you have a major leak going on, no fluid is going to be leaving the "system".

Indy = independent motorcycle shop ie not a harley dealer.

Old 06-07-2009, 04:40 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

My guess would go with some atf or some equivalent 5-10w oil. Using the thinking that a hydraulic fluid would be best. It doesn't compress like regular oil.

Old 06-07-2009, 05:40 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 442 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by cbz1200n
Where do you get your info that Type E is 5wt? It is my understanding and my experience that Type E is 10wt and SE HD is 15wt. Now there may be a difference in oils between manufactures, except there are standards to follow to meet certain specifications. I saw a significant difference in using a Belray 5wt fluid in place of the H-D Type E in both my Sportster 39mm and my Dyna 49mm forks.
CB
>>> Where do you get your info that Type E is 5wt? It is my understanding and my experience that Type E is 10wt and SE HD is 15wt.

<<< From Harley Davidson Description; 16oz. Type E 5wt. Type E is for "Showa" forks.

Old 06-07-2009, 09:07 PM
dynarule
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cbz1200n
CB
I called the MOCO last week about this very question, I was told that the type E is a 5wt, type B is a 10wt and SE heavy is 15wt and then there is SE heavy duty for racing that is a 20wt. This was all from the MOCO customer service.

Old 06-07-2009, 09:29 PM
NoLongerAmember
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by FastHarley
>>> Where do you get your info that Type E is 5wt? It is my understanding and my experience that Type E is 10wt and SE HD is 15wt.

<<< From Harley Davidson Description; 16oz. Type E 5wt. Type E is for "Showa" forks.
I know you're god,
but don't you find it funny how it is not described on the bottle, H-D catalog, H-D web site or the service manual, but f***in a, some H-D dealer has it in their description, so it must be true.
Same for the rest of their fork oil.
I'll I can say is there is no way either of my bikes were running 5wt from the factory and all call for type E.
peace out
CB

Old 06-07-2009, 10:03 PM
Rocket350
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

wow... Holy crap. I'm good. Sorry I asked.

couldn't agree with you more CBZ.

Only "premature failure" would be spongy forks or leaking fluid (which is exactly where I started from). The only rubber is the fork seals. Worse case - a new set of seals and fluid.

Again - thanks for the helpfull input.

Last edited by Rocket350; 06-07-2009 at 10:12 PM.

Quick Reply: What to use for fork oil?