Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to use for fork oil?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 07:12 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,483 Likes on 2,428 Posts

I put Bel Ray 10w fork oil in my 02 FXD. I only need one qt. Pick up a couple qts at a local bike store or Indy. Granted the original oil in the forks was HD's type "E" which equals a 5w fork oil. The FXD is used primarily for 2 up riding so that 10w really helped out.

Old 06-06-2009, 07:37 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

Just thinking what would work in a pinch.... anybody try power steering fluid? You're basically looking at hydraulic action in the forks, and power steering fluid is hydraulic oil.

Old 06-06-2009, 08:31 PM
thedonthere
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by archergodwin
Just thinking what would work in a pinch.... anybody try power steering fluid? You're basically looking at hydraulic action in the forks, and power steering fluid is hydraulic oil.
I agree with Rich. I think ATF would work too. Looks and smells the same to me.

Old 06-06-2009, 09:37 PM
WingNut55
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I Like 1/2 Standard HD and 1/2 SE Fork Oil .. Firm but still Comfortable..

Old 06-06-2009, 11:36 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 441 Likes on 246 Posts

E= 5W. Oils are different with HD. If you have a =< 2006 SG than you can put in the amount your manual says. I did help with AdrianVail's bike but forget the measurements. Look and see what it says, but it is somewhere between 110mm ~ 130 mm. I do not own a 49mm new style Dyna so I do not remember. Use one of these PRO OIL LEVEL TOOL if you measure

Go to a race bike shop near you and purchase some good oil around the E style original HD 5W. The heavier the oil the more stiction (parasitic drag) and also the harsher the bike rides. You change the valving and not the weight of the oil if you wish to change the ride characteristics. The oil you put in the forks must lubricate the bushings as well as acting as a hydraulic pump. I do not recommend any oil other than fork oil but than again, it is your bike. Do not mixed the new and the old oils.

I also beg to differ with you as to whose fault the oil shortage is. You are the mechanic and not the parts guy. You should have had your install mapped out prior to starting.

Old 06-07-2009, 12:14 AM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

Hey while your at it, give him a good shot in nuts.. I don't think he feels bad enough about the situation.

We're just giving ideas to get him through tomorrow, or maybe till next weekend. Bad part, yes... repeat of draining and refilling the forks.

Old 06-07-2009, 07:30 AM
jcmusic
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently changed mine out and used the HD SE fork oil, mine calls for 10.6 ounces per fork so that's what I put in. My buddy works at the local HD and he said that this oil is better than the type E because of the road conditions here in New Orleans.

Jay

Old 06-07-2009, 08:27 AM
Rocket350
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I also beg to differ with you as to whose fault the oil shortage is. You are the mechanic and not the parts guy. You should have had your install mapped out prior to starting.
Maybe your right. But if I go to a chevy Mechanic tell him I need oil for an oil change on a 350, chances are he'll grab 5 gts. Or he'll at least ask how much I'll need - and help.

The printout on the front end on HD computer was WRONG too. The guy comes out with a oil seal that looks like it belongs on 39mm. I told him that is not it, and what does he say? "Hmm, well I dont know what to tell you, this is the part number according to my diagram." - After taking it apart MYSELF - it was a COPPER WASHER on the very bottom of the fork tube. AND.. it is correctly listed in MY repair manual.

This is beyond oil. They SUCK. I have NEVER had a good experience with service at HD.

I mixed 16oz "E" with 10oz 20W motor oil. A lot better. Stiffer too. We'll see how she does this week.

Thanks for all the help gents, much appreciated.

Old 06-07-2009, 10:13 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 441 Likes on 246 Posts

Rocket350, Unfortunately I do not have the manual on your bike. I do have all of the parts so if you need info on purchasing parts from HD I have all of the PN's. I would be glad to help you out with accurate infomation.

Remember that the new HD is not the same as the old ones. In the day before computers and motorcycling was not nearly as popular as it is now as well as the need got greed v/s passion, you went to the parts counterman. The counterman use to know HD motorcycles and could tell you what part could be interchanged with what part. Now the counterman could have just layed off from Circuit City and, like some they have never ridden a HD.

If I can help you in any way you are local & just give a call.

The following users liked this post:
Caltowgeorge (02-11-2020)
Old 06-07-2009, 10:27 AM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 77 Posts

I know it's a little after the fact - but I like the Bel Ray 15w Fork Oil I get from the local metric shop. I changed the fork oil at 5K and it was pretty nasty stuff. I swapped out the sliders for chrome this past winter and even after 7k miles on the fork oil - it looked brand new. Very happy with it.

Quick Reply: What to use for fork oil?