Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I've got a squeal, goes away when clutch pulled

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 12:47 PM
El Jinete Fantasma
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My bike developed a similar sound three weeks ago. Seems to come from somewhere in the front end, but I can't pinpoint it. I had the neck tightened up last week to get rid of chatter and it's a little better. I mostly hear it when the bike is cold.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:18 PM
dyna07custom
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I dont get how the pulley can be the same size how does the belt look if the spacing is off should chew it up pretty quick

Old 06-09-2009, 02:46 PM
jaxdwg
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by timberwolfz28
ok, after reevaluation, it seems to be coming more from the rear pulley. I've checked belt alignment and tracking, and it's good. Here's my thought:

When I bought the pulley to go with the new wheels, I didn't notice it was 65 tooth. I am wondering if the belt tooth pattern is different for the 65 than it is for the 70. I sprayed a little WD40 on the teeth of the belt and the squeal went away, for about a half mile or so.

With that said... new thoughts? Anyone know for sure if the belts are spacing is different? I won't be able to switch pulleys back until I get back from Louisiana next weekend. But if that's not the problem...
My belt was chirping a bit so I put some baby powder on it (no joke) and it went away. Sometimes the belt will get some kind of sticky on it and the powder changes its friction qualities

Old 06-09-2009, 03:23 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

belt is too tight. Or check where your belt come into contact with the front pulley. if the rear pulley is offset more than stock, the belt may be riding on the out side edge of the front pulley. I would be more apt to say the belt is too tight though.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:19 AM
El Jinete Fantasma
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by El Jinete Fantasma
My bike developed a similar sound three weeks ago. Seems to come from somewhere in the front end, but I can't pinpoint it. I had the neck tightened up last week to get rid of chatter and it's a little better. I mostly hear it when the bike is cold.
I think the major source of my noise was the side-stand, oddly enough. Hit it with chain lube and it's mostly gone. Strange...