Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IL Vertical License Plates - BE CAREFULL !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 01:26 AM
r00k
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, that is annoying.

I'm just waiting for VA to follow suit...

Old 06-05-2009, 10:15 AM
13frain
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can be sure that if one State gets revenue from it. The rest will folow

Old 06-05-2009, 08:17 PM
pennetta
Tourer

More and more cops are getting automatic plate recognition systems in their cars. They can sit on the side of the road and the device scans the passing vehicles plates and notifies them if any wants or warrants are issued against a passing plate.
They cant read verticle plates.
I have a verticle plate and got pulled over once, no tickets yet.

Old 07-09-2009, 10:30 AM
jconsiglio
Advanced

Just got stopped in Elk Grove Village for the same thing. Just a written warning, but wanted to check license, insurance, reg. and play 20 questions.

Old 07-09-2009, 10:51 AM
oneloudz71
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think it has been that way in IL for at least a year, but I am sure some cops just look past it. I heard that last year there was a big ride that started over this way and went through Elizabeth IL and the cops were waiting for them and every bike that had a vert plate was pulled over and then checked for drinking. The LEO's in that town seem to always be sitting and waiting for people that pass though anyway.

Old 07-09-2009, 11:16 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Talked to 4 police this weekend, 2 of which are state troopers... as long as you can read it and it is perm attached to the bike and lit... your LEGAL!

Old 07-09-2009, 12:41 PM
r00k
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JRK5892
Talked to 4 police this weekend, 2 of which are state troopers... as long as you can read it and it is perm attached to the bike and lit... your LEGAL!
I had to ask a officer to prove to me that it was illegal to have a vert plate in VA 2 weeks ago...

Old 07-09-2009, 12:47 PM
oneloudz71
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JRK5892
Maybe its one of those things where it is on the books but rarely enforced? All I know is that I have heard a number of times that a vert plate is illegal in IL.

Old 07-09-2009, 02:45 PM
Vinsil
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did a little research into this for us Oregon guys...not sure if the vertical would be a no-go for us or not. Anyone with any personal experience? To me, it seems it is not clear about how it is mounted but seems like it falls in a bit of a grey area...Here is the ORS:

803.550 Illegal alteration or display of plates; penalty. (1) A person commits the offense of illegal alteration or illegal display of a registration plate if the person knowingly does any of the following:
(a) Illegally alters a registration plate in a manner described in subsection (2) of this section.
(b) Causes a registration plate to be illegally displayed as described in subsection (3) of this section.
(c) Operates any vehicle that is displaying a registration plate that is illegally altered in a manner described in subsection (2) of this section or that is illegally displayed as described in subsection (3) of this section.
(d) Owns and causes or permits a vehicle to display a registration plate that is illegally altered in a manner described in subsection (2) of this section or that is illegally displayed as described in subsection (3) of this section.
(2) A registration plate is illegally altered for purposes of this section if the plate has been altered, modified, covered or obscured in any manner including, but not limited to, the following:
(a) Any change of the color, configuration, numbers, letters or material of the plate.
(b) Any material or covering, other than a frame or plate holder, placed on, over or in front of the plate that alters the appearance of the plate.
(c) Any frame or plate holder that obscures the numbers, letters or registration stickers, so as to render them unreadable.
(3) A registration plate is illegally displayed for purposes of this section if the plate:
(a) Is displayed on a vehicle other than the vehicle for which the plate was issued; or
(b) Displays registration stickers that contain an expiration date that is different from the expiration date shown upon the vehicle registration records of the Department of Transportation.
(4) Subsection (2) of this section does not apply to the following:
(a) Any placement of registration stickers described under ORS 803.555.
(b) Any public official who displays or performs any alteration of a registration plate in the course of official duties.
(c) Any special interest registration plate approved under ORS 805.210.
(5) Subsection (3)(a) of this section does not apply to a vehicle dealer authorized to use and operate vehicles displaying the dealer’s plates under ORS 822.040.
(6) The offense described in this section, illegal alteration or illegal display of a registration plate, is a Class B traffic violation. [1985 c.243 §2; 2007 c.192 §1]

Old 07-09-2009, 03:28 PM
rdondes
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Shimmon,

A stickered reproduction of a license plate that is stuck to the rear fender is patently illegal in all 50 states. It is counterfeiting of license plates and if your friend hasn't gotten a ticket for it yet, he is more than lucky.

Quick Reply: IL Vertical License Plates - BE CAREFULL !!!!