Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IL Vertical License Plates - BE CAREFULL !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 06:46 PM
2XNightTrain
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nathanw
Same here in FL., no more verticals.
Yep and it's a fine of over 1000 bucks too. Now if a car displays a tag inappropriately, the fine is 88 bucks. Where is the justice?

Old 06-04-2009, 07:38 PM
bigmikaele
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, how easy is it to read the license plate when it is tacked to the back window because the owner doesn't know how to attach it where it belongs. Or the piece of paper that says "tags applied for" WHAT??? that works??? Can I just carry my license plate in my jacket? (Or hey, maybe attach it to the back of my jacket... there's a plan) maybe get a helmet sticker that says "tags applied for" and not run any plate.

Old 06-04-2009, 08:07 PM
greenyetti
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks for the heads up, I cross the river from time to time on rides so at least I know what to potentialy expect. Vert plates in Iowa no prob.
Someone needs to make an switch actuated mount that swings vert to horz with a button push.

Old 06-04-2009, 08:23 PM
harley_jeff
Road Master
Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by greenyetti
thanks for the heads up, I cross the river from time to time on rides so at least I know what to potentialy expect. Vert plates in Iowa no prob.
Someone needs to make an switch actuated mount that swings vert to horz with a button push.
Some sort of connection between gay marriage and vertical plates being ok? Are vertical plated legal in New Hampshire?

Old 06-04-2009, 08:30 PM
greenyetti
Tourer

Hey jeff if they let me ride my harley with loud azz pipes, and a vertical plate, without a helmet or a smog check or charcoal canister and not hassle me, I dont care if a farmer marries his goat. althogh I bet his goat bitches less than my wife.....hmmmm?

Old 06-04-2009, 08:33 PM
harley_jeff
Road Master
Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by greenyetti
Hey jeff if they let me ride my harley with loud azz pipes, and a vertical plate, without a helmet or a smog check or charcoal canister and not hassle me, I dont care if a farmer marries his goat. althogh I bet his goat bitches less than my wife.....hmmmm?
Ha Ha, there's some truth to that. Have you thought about asking your state representative to sponsor a bill to make splitting lanes legal? Then you would have it all, bro!

Old 06-04-2009, 08:39 PM
shadowbob
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I live in Il. and asked a couple of troopers who were eating lunch at the same place I was, they said it only had to be permanently attached, and visible from the rear, but they didn't show anything to me in writing

Old 06-04-2009, 09:00 PM
Lorance66
Road Master

Originally Posted by scottdoege
I was cruising to work this morning and got pulled over by Illinois finest (State Trooper). I was coming into downtown Chicago on the Kennedy and was pulled over only going 10 mph in traffic.

I didn't know what I did wrong.

He stated that they are cracking down on vertical license plates. He said that bikes have been getting away from them at high speeds and they can't read the vertical plates at high speeds.

He politely showed me the law in the three inch thick manual and proceeded to give me a written warning.

I was just a written warning, but I am thinking of changing to a horizontal axle mounted plate.
I guess you don't have to be that smart to be a cop these days. I can make my brain interpret text from any direction, it's not that hard.

Old 06-04-2009, 09:13 PM
LWOS
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

State, County and Local revenues are down because of the lousy economy.......and those governmental bodies are hurting for $$$$$$. So be aware that citations will rise for any infraction, and the excuse "I didnt know" may or may not fly, depending on your location. You might get away with a warning in a City, but smaller towns or communities you wont be as lucky......... That goes for cars as well as bikes.

Old 06-05-2009, 12:49 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by shadowbob
I live in Il. and asked a couple of troopers who were eating lunch at the same place I was, they said it only had to be permanently attached, and visible from the rear, but they didn't show anything to me in writing
THAT IS WHAT IS SAID 6 MONTHS AGO! unless it recently changed! Scott is a smart guy though... not really someone a cop would bs... if you guys knew how big he was youwould be suprised he even got pulled over!

Quick Reply: IL Vertical License Plates - BE CAREFULL !!!!