Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Draining tank to install tank lift

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 09:57 AM
stbobber
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Draining tank to install tank lift

Hey guys, my 3 inch tank lift came in the mail from J&P Cycles. Wondering for you guys who did this relatively easy job, what is the easiest way to drain the tank?

Old 05-15-2006, 12:04 PM
dyna2319
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Draining tank to install tank lift

I have taken the tank off my bike to do some wiring for a tach. I ran it down real low, about 20 mile past wher the low fuel light comes on, then used the crossover tube to get the rest out. Remember that fuel will come out both opening when you remove the line. I just put my thumb over the one fitting and used the hose to direct the rest into an empty container. I imagine that you may possibly need to get a longer cross-over line when you raise the tank. The stock clamps are are PITA to remove but can be done. Make sure you have some new clamps and hose. I went with the braided hose and it had some AN fittings on it with some "washers" ( cant think of correct term right now) that compressed and sealed it up fine. This was on an 06 Wide Glide.

Hog 2319

Old 05-15-2006, 01:51 PM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've used that method also, and it was messy. What I did the next time was invest in a small vacumn pump, several are available on line, I got a Mity-Vac. Hook it up to the vacumn line on the petcock, pump it a few times and you'll be able to empty the tank in pretty short order.

Old 05-15-2006, 02:12 PM
WgSkee
Road Captain

stbobber... Look on the tank riser thread I give a detailed blow by blow on how to drain the tank...
The 3" lift has to have the new gas line.In the long run with the 2" riser you have the gas line rubbing on the frame... which may or may not rub through.. it's easy to change the the gas line out..The only thing I'd do.. is make sure you either siphon out your gas tank or run the gas tank almost empty before trying to change out the bottom crossover hose. Also, there will be a little gas in the hose no matter how the tank is emptied, before I cut the hose I clamped with vise grips on each side of the hose and cut between them, then I slipped a short piece of garden hose over the cut gas line, released the vise grip and emptied the gas into a gas can... Buy a foot of 1/4" gas line and two mini clamps... the new hose only needs to be 3" to 4" longer than the original... the existing clamps are a pain to get off... I had to use my dykes on them... errr... and she.. nevermind bad joke....

I just measured my old gas line, new one is 3.5" longer... plus when you put the new one on twist it so the new one don't rub...

The above is for my bike which is fuel injected... carbed models may use the peacock to drain things faster...

Old 05-15-2006, 05:28 PM
stbobber
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What are you useing to cut the clamps?

Old 05-15-2006, 05:39 PM
phreak
Road Master

B.A.S

Big *** Scissors

EDIT: Oops. The B.A.S is phor the hose. I worked the clamps off the line but just wiggling back and phorth and pushing.

Old 05-15-2006, 05:46 PM
WgSkee
Road Captain

I used a pair of wire cutters in the electrical trade called "Dykes" their about 6" long for good leverage... You can also use what they call "Sidecutters" which are 9" pliers with the cutting on the side... actually any pliers that you can cut with... one side I cut without a problem, the otherside p.i.t.a. worked it loose and opened it up a little with a pair of needle nose and I pulled it off...Like phreak said.. either way it's a pain for sure... Once those are off the new ones are a piece of cake...

Old 05-22-2006, 01:23 AM
RudeDog
Road Warrior
Received 14 Likes on 2 Posts

There's some real good info in this thread. Kinda wish I'd have this information available before I did mine. It would've been alot less messy operation.