Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about a 2" tank lift on a Street Bob...

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009 | 08:46 PM
tpuckett75
|
Novice
Default Questions about a 2" tank lift on a Street Bob...

I'm interested in putting a 2" tank lift on my bike, (yes I plan on using jackyl's kit). I'm worried about 2 things, 1 is there and clearance issues with the forks after the lift is installed? 2 has anyone had any problems with fuel delivery?

thanks

Old 06-02-2009 | 08:59 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member

No, the 2" should be fine. I experienced clearance issues with the 3" lift. You should loosen your tank though and adjust it (pull it back) from the forks. No problem with fuel delivery but your fuel gauge will be more unusable than what it already is. Start figuring by mileage and not the needle.

Old 06-02-2009 | 09:22 PM
BeavisRules
Road Master

The dang low fuel light will drive you crazy also. It comes on around 70 miles so you definately want to use your trip odometer.

Old 06-02-2009 | 09:25 PM
Low E
Cruiser

I did the 2" lift and have the braided crossover hose. The fittings into the tank had to be bent. It works and I have had no problems.

I agree with Vic on the gauge issue use mileage and ignore the gauge.

Old 06-03-2009 | 01:18 AM
FXDFan
Tourer

S'cuse my ignorance, I'm a little late to the HD party but what is to be gained doing a tank lift? Get more airflow over the rear cylinder??

Old 06-03-2009 | 01:26 AM
dope_man_21
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by FXDFan
S'cuse my ignorance, I'm a little late to the HD party but what is to be gained doing a tank lift? Get more airflow over the rear cylinder??
Aside from allowing more cool air to the rear cylinder it also adds that "OLD SCHOOL" look to the bike.

Old 06-03-2009 | 03:36 AM
gt46660
Cruiser

I just installed mine recently and the fuel light was early and the gauge is off.

Old 06-03-2009 | 03:39 AM
Rauzer
Road Captain

what is to be gained doing a tank lift?
Mainly because ckicks dig it...

Old 06-03-2009 | 04:57 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member

Men wanna be you and women wanna do you.

It's more of a 'looks' issue but it does allow you to clean your front rocker much much easier. I used to tear up my hand tryin to clean/polish it. Logically, it also does allow a little more air onto the motor.

Old 06-03-2009 | 07:17 AM
sknyfats
Road Captain

I just put his 2" kit on my 07 Street Bob last week. Took me about 15 minutes. Was a breeze. I DID have to use the included longer vent hose (I believe the instructions said that you may or may not need it) - but other than that - it was a piece of cake and causes NO clearance issues whatsoever.

I recommend you read the instructions once over prior to actually putting a wrench on anything - but, I recommend that with EVERY installation I do - on bikes or otherwise.

As far as the fuel gauge, YES, the fuel light does come on a lot sooner than usual. Mine comes on around 1/4 tank left. No big deal for me; personally, I prefer to keep gassed up often anyway & try to keep at least a half a tank in that sucker - at least for most of the driving I do (not long distances).

If I'm not mistaken, there IS a thread on here where someone mentioned how to re-adjust your fuel gauge if you want it to be more accurate. I'll be leaving mine just the way it is with no adjustment.

And yes, there are 3 benefits to this: 1 a little more airflow to the tops of the cylinder heads, 2 the look and 3 I think you can squeeze a few more drops of gas into the tank when filling up now.

Quick Reply: Questions about a 2" tank lift on a Street Bob...