Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bagger converting to Dyna?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 04:30 PM
Beefmaster
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bagger converting to Dyna?

Hey Guys, I've always rode a bagger. First a 97 Roadking now a 07 Roadglide. But I'm starting to have an itch for a Wideglide. I'm looking for some input on how a Wideglide rides on long trips. I've riden from AL to Sturgis, SD twice (then over to Yellowstone) and to Key West twice. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks, BM

Old 05-30-2009, 04:44 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't have a WG but I have rode 600 mile days on my fatbob and never get tired of it. Dynas are big enough to ride smooth and small and nimble enough to be quite exciting. I think you will love it. Sorry I can't be more help.

Old 05-30-2009, 05:14 PM
pte359
Tourer

I rode my dyna about 400 mile a couple of weeks ago and it was fine. The only issue I had was my hand going numb with the stock ape hangers. I have a new set of Ness V-bars coming this week. I also rode about 100 miles just around town today. Another thing to get used to is the 21 in front tire tends to follow the conture of the road more than a wider tire but that is no big deal. Mine has 1.5 in lower rear shocks and badlander seat.
As stated it is nimble but has pleant of power to ride with the big bikes.

Old 05-30-2009, 05:25 PM
shawn e.
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only problem I see is with a passenger. If your wife or girlfriend is use to riding on a touring bike they may not enjoy the vibration that comes from the pegs on a dyna.

Shawn

Old 05-30-2009, 05:29 PM
Beefmaster
Advanced

I believe all stock handlebars need to be replaced. On my Roadking I had a pair of Flander's bars and on my Roadglide I have wideglide bars. How is the stock seat? I had a Mustang on my Roadking and loved it. The stock Roadglide is OK for me but my wife hates the back.

Old 05-30-2009, 05:40 PM
jaysonL
Elite HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

The Dynas will be similar to your bagger as far as Vibration goes. They are similar in every way comparing the drive line. If you are riding across the country I'd recommend a sundowner or some other type of big cushy seat, especially if you riding two up. My Wide Glide's seat is fine for all day riding, but I'm on the thin side so I can handle most stock seats. I personally think you will love the Wide Glide, I know I do. The only thing I'll complaign about is the super skinny front tire. I will some day have a new set of wheel and a 110, or 120 front tire. The 21" looks awesome, but the skinny 90 tire kinda sucks.

Old 05-30-2009, 06:03 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jaysonL
The only thing I'll complaign about is the super skinny front tire. I will some day have a new set of wheel and a 110, or 120 front tire. The 21" looks awesome, but the skinny 90 tire kinda sucks.
Same tire as on my sporty,I was living in total fear of potholes and putting my wheel out of round!

Old 05-30-2009, 06:14 PM
ddsglide
Intermediate

Originally Posted by shawn e.
The only problem I see is with a passenger. If your wife or girlfriend is use to riding on a touring bike they may not enjoy the vibration that comes from the pegs on a dyna.

Shawn
Or will they? Most women I've talked to like it, oops kinda went different direction there.

Old 05-30-2009, 07:29 PM
Beefmaster
Advanced

I never thought about the tire issue. I have always had big tubeless tires on my baggers. I guess I need to find a dealer that will let me take an extended test drive. When I bought my Roadglide I only took a 10 mile test drive. I like the bike but it's not what I thought it would be.

Old 05-30-2009, 09:10 PM
jaysonL
Elite HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

FYI, (in case you don't know) the Wide Glide was discontinued after the '08 model year. If you have to have one you'll probably have to go used, or... if you're extremely lucky, you might find a left over, but it'll be in the 105th anniversary colors. The tire wouldn't stop me from buying one, in fact my '07 is the second one I bought. The only trouble (if I can call it that) are grooves in the pavement. They absolutely SUCK ! below is a pick of my current ride. Pretty much stock, with the exception of the slip ons, and a few other odds and ends.

Quick Reply: Bagger converting to Dyna?