Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bagger converting to Dyna?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 10:28 AM
WildBillAce2
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jaysonL
FYI, (in case you don't know) the Wide Glide was discontinued after the '08 model year. If you have to have one you'll probably have to go used, or... if you're extremely lucky, you might find a left over, but it'll be in the 105th anniversary colors. The tire wouldn't stop me from buying one, in fact my '07 is the second one I bought. The only trouble (if I can call it that) are grooves in the pavement. They absolutely SUCK ! below is a pick of my current ride. Pretty much stock, with the exception of the slip ons, and a few other odds and ends.
If you ditch the Dunlops and put Avons on there you won't notice the grooves anymore. It's the tire pattern and not the size.

Old 05-31-2009, 07:34 PM
back again
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,449 Likes on 2,597 Posts

a 90/90 tire helps a lot with road grooves a 120 is even better.

Old 06-01-2009, 04:19 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

beefmaster, i had an 02 low rider, then an 07 streetbob, really liked them both. then winter of 08 traded for a new streetglide. wouldn't go back to having only a dyna, no way, no how. i make several trips a year, 700 mi, one way, 700 back. from ft smith area to pueblo colorado. 700 mi first day, spend a couple days in pueblo, then another 700 return. the dynas even with windshield, were great, but now that i've got the streetglide, it's an easy. gonna get a streetbob though , for a local bike anyway, i still love dynas. i just went backwards of what you're wanting to do with models.

Old 06-01-2009, 07:11 AM
Beefmaster
Advanced

Thanks for the info Guys! Sounds like I may need to pick up an older used Wideglide and keep my Roadglide until I can make an educated decision on this. Besides, a man can never have too many Harleys can he.

Old 06-01-2009, 10:15 AM
Centerline
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Took my Fat Bob to Southern California and back from Dallas earlier this year. Put on a couple of 1,000+ mile days. Other than the cold of early January in the higher elevations, the ride was fantastically comfortable...for a motorcycle. My Fat Bob has proven itself a very capable touring machine, a sort-of-semi-sportbike in tight twisties and doesn't balk on well maintained gravel forest service roads.

Old 06-01-2009, 10:38 AM
gregbenner
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an 07 RoadGlide and an 07 Dyna.

The Dyna is lighter, quicker and more nimble. I have a windshield on mine, so fairly comfortable for medium length rides (say 3-500 miles). I love riding it in the mountains and the twisties.

For touring I would not like it:

1. My wife never rides on it, much prefers the Glide.
2. Lack of floor boards for support. Hard to explain, but having something to solidly have my feet on reduces fatigue greatly.
3. Lack of luggage space, big issue when touring. (I do have Boss bags for the dyna, but no comparison to the lockable solid bags on the glide, plus np tour pack.
4. Even with a windshield on the Dyna, the wind protection is much better on a Glide
5. No stereo.
6. NO CRUISE CONTROL

Old 06-01-2009, 10:56 AM
hall1836
Cruiser

Received 25 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm with Gregbenner. I have a 98 FLHT Classic and an 06 Lowrider the ride is very different between the two bikes. Dyna beats you up alot more even when outfitted for the road. The available windshields for the Dyna's can't give you the protection offered on the baggers, and wind turbulance and buffeting can make the ride tiring.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:23 AM
pte359
Tourer

Well my wife decided last night she wanted to take a ride. I told her before we left it was not a gold wing which is the last thing she rode with me. We made it about 6 miles and she was twitching around tring to get comfortable.. Just made a tenitive deal on 07 electra glide standard...I like the dyna for zipping around town but the kids are grown and if the wife wants to ride I will upgrade...Dyna is for sale...

Old 06-01-2009, 11:30 AM
07bobber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Keep the bagger if you ride with a passenger 60% of the time...

Old 06-01-2009, 11:35 AM
Cornhusker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I love my Streetbob. Friday morning, May 29 we left from Lincoln, NE. About 60 members of the local Hog chapter did a ride around the perimeter of the state. We rode north up near the South Dakota/Nebraska border, then west across the state and down through sandhill country and spent the first night in Chadron, NE. 525 miles first day. Left Chadron the next morning and went down through a corner of Colorado and back into Southern part of NE ending up that evening in McCook, NE. 500 more miles that day. Left the next morning and rode across Southern NE winding up in the Southeast corner of the state. We left there and took a short run along the Western edge of Iowa and back into NE and finally home around 6:00 PM Sunday afternoon. 1600 mile trip and ready to go again. Well, maybe a short rest is in order.

Last edited by Cornhusker; 06-01-2009 at 11:38 AM.

Quick Reply: Bagger converting to Dyna?