Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For conversation sakes, your .02 cents

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 07:30 AM
extsieg
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For conversation sakes, your .02 cents

I have a new 09 FXDL, Stock:
I plan on doing 25% of my riding two up weekend trips with the wife and use as a daily ride to work.
Location LA, (thats Lower Alabama )

If the bike was yours what would be the top three upgrades you would do to it before the pick up from the dealer?

I also dont plan on replacing any parts that are already on the bike. Keeping it stock so in 40 years I can have it in a Mag for Stock ride of the week
V/R

Old 05-30-2009, 07:44 AM
spiritwarrior
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default What to add?

A good two up seat, everybody has their own favorite. I have a Sundowner. A Sissy bar of some sort. and luggage rack for putting a bag on, or a good set of Saddlebags. Don't go cheap, most cheap stuff is cheap for a reason. I have an engine guard, you don't have to have one but if you ever accidentally drop the bike it might save you some damage.

If it is your first bike wait 30 days or so before you do anything. Be sure what you really want and suits your needs best, as opposed to someone on here saying so.

Only you can tell what is best for you. Do some forum searches, and get a idea of what others have done.

You can spend a lot of money on these things very quickly, so be sure what you really need.

Old 05-30-2009, 07:56 AM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 476 Likes on 278 Posts

Went on a few two-day to two-week tours on my Dyna with my wife; windshield, sundowner seat, backrest with rack and saddlebags; all QD. Wife has now bought herself a FXDL and equiped it with windshield, solo rack and bags; all QD. I use a Danny Gray solo seat and she's happy with a street bob take-off.

Attached Thumbnails For conversation sakes, your .02 cents-doreen-and-jim-bennet-dam-12-jul-08.jpg  
Old 05-30-2009, 08:05 AM
dpriest
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

windshield, sundowner and backrest with rack. all detachable. makes a big differance when riding 2-up.

Old 05-30-2009, 08:11 AM
spiritwarrior
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I forgot I have a detachable windshield also. It was the second thing I bought after the Sundowner seat.

Old 05-30-2009, 08:29 AM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Sorry to seem confused but you want to upgrade before you even get the bike , and yet you want to keep it stock for the next 40 years......good luck man! Well get the stock HD removeable sissy for the wifey,QD HD windshield to keep those alabama bugs outta your teeth (partially),and some detachable saddlebags for storage, and your all set!

Old 05-30-2009, 08:37 AM
extsieg
Cruiser

Stock in the sense that I wont rip the pipes off or buy pimp parts for looks sake, just items that will bolt on and pop off and not mod the bike in a way that cant be taken back to stock day one pick up. I only plan on replacing parts if they break, Ill save all goodies for the bobber I want to build

Old 05-30-2009, 08:45 AM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Ya I got it ,just the necessities! Technically you can always keep your stock items , which i have done and put em back someday. If I sold mine and the person didn't want to give more for the upgrades the pcV arlen ness and pipes would stay with me. They could own the stockers. not that there was anythiing wrong with it stock , but now i'm in the eddy!

Old 05-30-2009, 08:57 AM
JohnAE
Cruiser

Agree with all suggestions. I have the solo sundowner and after one ride with my wife on the stock seat I have ordered the sundower pillion for her. We had a sundowner on our sportster and she had no complaints. As mentioned one thing she would like is a short detachable backrest. Something to make her feel more secure about where the back of the seat is but not so high that she can't swing her leg over it. A detachable windsheild will not only make the ride to and from work more enjoyable, esp. in the winter, but will also help keep the massive number of bugs in LA off your uniform. Putting on the screaming eagle air filter and having a remap was worth the money esp. two-up. I can REALY feel the extra torque when we are riding together.

Moving to Alabama. Army or Air Force?

Old 05-30-2009, 09:08 AM
shawn e.
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would check out the classified section here on the forums. The 2 up stuff comes up all the time, sundowner seats and sissy bar setups.

Shawn

Quick Reply: For conversation sakes, your .02 cents