Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not another jack thread:D

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 07:26 AM
dFREDb
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Not another jack thread:D

I know we've beat this motorcycle jack topic to death, but what is the issue in jacking up the newer Dynas? I have a Larin cycle/atv jack and it hits the oil pan and would raise the bike unevenly If I used it to remove rear wheel etc. Is it the spacing between the two parallel lifting bars (too narrow?) or do you have to put some kind of spacer between the jack and the frame on the left side. Maybe I'm just kinda slow, but this has been driving me crazy. It's a good jack and I'd hate to get rid of it if there's a safe and simple solution. Got my flame retardant suit on so fire away

Old 05-30-2009, 07:32 AM
wolfman 66
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You need the lift adapters part # 98965-99 about $25 at the dealer

Old 05-30-2009, 07:36 AM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 519 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by dfredb
I have a Larin cycle/atv jack and it hits the oil pan and would raise the bike unevenly. Is it the spacing between the two parallel lifting bars (too narrow?) or do you have to put some kind of spacer between the jack and the frame on the left side.
Just what you described.
I just drilled a few holes in the jack rail, and bolted a 1x2 to the jack rail.
Just raise the jack up and find out exactly where it contacts, then measure to find out how much of a spacer you need. You might need a shim or two with the 1x2.

What you want is the jack rails (with the spacer bolted on), to contact the frame rails on both sides of the bike at the same time.

I can take a picture of the jack if needed, but I think you'll see exactly what is needed if you get down there and look as you slowly raise the jack.

Old 05-30-2009, 07:36 AM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

your in luck There is a simple solution! The Dynas(I'm not sure how many years back) are uneven underneath because of either the stand or the difference in the oil pan and transmisssion base. Well obviously I don't own a jack or I would know the details a little better, but I have skimmed the threads and you need a lifting kit from hd,its just a couple spacers,and apparently quite a p.i.t.a. when your alone. Lot's of guys here have dealt with this so very soon they will chime in for ya I'm sure!

HAHAHA while i was typing two others already answered!!!

Old 05-30-2009, 08:47 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I'd not waste my money (again) on the lift adapters. They're made in two parts with JUST double-sided tape holding them together. I had one seperate while the bike was jacked up. Damn near dropped the bike.

Some have used 2x4s instead. I have not tried that method as I've had no need to put the bike on a lift.

Old 05-30-2009, 09:54 AM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

I know you probaly don't want to hear because you obviously read the j&s thread, but that's why I bought one because them and pitbull are the only ones designed to work with Dyna's without the adapters. Plus I remember reading SCLong's warning about the adapters and someone else on here dropped their bike on a sears jack or harbor freight one. The rigging with 2x4s or whatever other mods to your jack would make me nervous, which is why I went with the j&s because I don't like 20k sitting on something I rigged up. It's going to cost more then 400 bucks (the cost of a j&s) when your bike topples over.

Last edited by JaronB; 05-30-2009 at 09:56 AM.
Old 05-30-2009, 10:34 AM
JohnAE
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I must be missing something. I use my $80 Sears lift, homemade adaptors and lifting straps and there is no way the bike will fall off the jack short of hittng it with my truck. Do people really use these jacks without the lifting staps? I have someone (my wife) hold the bike level, raise the jack until the adaptors hit the frame, tighten the lifting staps like my life depended on them, as it might, and lift the bike. It is rock solid. The first time I jacked it up I tested it by pushing the bike side to side with increasing force and it did not budge. If you are going to apply a lot of torque you could also strap the lower frame to the jack just to be safe. One of the more expensive jacks might be easier to use but I don't jack my bike up often enough to justify the cost.

Old 05-30-2009, 11:14 AM
rdondes
Road Warrior

On a Dyna, the "pan guard" on the right, rear of the frame makes everything uneven. That is why you need 3 adapters (right front, left rear, and left front).

See the following thread for more info.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...per-glide.html

Pictures and dimensions for homemade, metal adapters which can be bolted to the jack lifting rails, will be forthcoming shortly.

Old 05-30-2009, 09:34 PM
dFREDb
Club Member

Can't thank y'all enough!!! Will investigate fabricating some adapters til I can get the pit bull or j&s. I'm really getting to like not taking my bike to the dealer for service issues that I can do myself and know they have been done right!

Old 05-31-2009, 02:52 AM
PKellyMc
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: PacNW; Beacon of Conservatism in a Sea of Liberals.......AZ Snowbird; Just another Conservative
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

If you go PitBull, make sure you get the Dyna series; it'll work on all HD's with no adapters. The standard lift, you'll need some of them damned adapters for your Dyna, but not the other HD's.

Quick Reply: Not another jack thread:D