Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sears Yellow Jack & 2007 FXDC Super Glide

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 05:36 PM
rdondes
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sears Yellow Jack & 2007 FXDC Super Glide

Can anyone suggest a way that I can use my Sears Yellow Jack on my 2007 FXDC Super Glide without having to use the Harley-Davidson frame adapters? I just did my 15,000 mile service and the frame adapters are a pain to use when you are by yourself (as I was). I had to sit on my bike to get it vertical to get the jack under the bike (because of the kickstand spring) and then had to lean over and move the orange frame adapters around. I had to do this a couple of times as the lift rails were in the way of the transmission drain plug.

I would like a JS Jack, but since I have been out of work for 17 months, I don't have any money for that.

Thanks,
Richard

Old 05-28-2009, 05:44 PM
super05
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I understand your pain.
the sears yellow is tricky with the harley adapter blocks.
really a PITA.

honestly - why bother lifting when doing fluid changes?
you need a shallow drain pan - but it's much easier to just drain it while on the jiffy stand - nothing blocking the drain plugs.
i find myself pining over the j&s - but like you said - money tight - stick with what you got.

Old 05-28-2009, 05:45 PM
RCB
Road Warrior

I have had the same problem with my 05. However anytime I need to work on it I always have someone else around. I have used a 2x4 prior to getting the H-D adaptors. Regardless it is still a pain in the A--. Great bike Bad design. Hope this may help eventhough I highly recommend that you always have someone else around.

Last edited by RCB; 05-28-2009 at 05:47 PM.
Old 05-29-2009, 04:37 PM
rdondes
Road Warrior

Thanks. Well I am glad to see I am not alone in this regard. I agree that the design of the frame rails is ridiculous - one should be able to just slide the jack lifting rails under the frame and lift it straight up without adapters, etc. Regarding fluids, I can get the bike vertical without the lift via a 2x4 and a 1x4, but that does me no good if I need to take off a wheel, etc. Thanks for the feedback.

Richard

Old 05-29-2009, 05:16 PM
NoLongerAmember
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rdondes
I had to sit on my bike to get it vertical to get the jack under the bike (because of the kickstand spring) and then had to lean over and move the orange frame adapters around. I had to do this a couple of times as the lift rails were in the way of the transmission drain plug.

Thanks,
Richard
You get good at it after a while.

I agree you should do the fluid change with it on the jiffy, I put a 2x4x4" block under the jiffy to get the bike almost perpendicular and take it out when refilling the fluids.

When I do use my crappy POS Harbor Freight jack I roll the bike onto two 3/8x4x6 boards and use the same block under the jiffy, roll the jack under the bike and line it up with the adapters, sit on it and pump up the jack so it is stable, get off and lift it up to where I want it.

The problem with the Sears yellow jack is that it has a square frame for the jack pads that gets in the way. My crappy POS Harbor Freight one does not, has a support closer to the center and does not hit the jiffy.
CB

Old 05-29-2009, 11:18 PM
rdondes
Road Warrior

Good idea CBZ - in the future, I will put 2x4's under the jiffy stand before positioning my Sears Yellow Jack.

Old 05-30-2009, 04:03 AM
04fxdwgi
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sent out a blurb awhile ago about those "adapters" seperating. The orange part is just doublesided "taped" to the black part and may seperate. Mine did and the bike nearly fell off the jack and would have if the ratchet straps were not on good and tight. Those adapters are pretty cheezy to begin with.

I eliminated the problem by making some (3) "adapters" from Kindorf channel and angle brackets and hard bolting them to the jack itself and lining everything with rubber sheeting. Now the bike frame sits in secure cradles, that can't move or fall apart and frame is kind of captured and locked in place. Far more secure. Really helps when doing stuff on the bike that puts any side force on it while on the jack.

Only needed 3 on the dyna, since the pan gaurd on the frame (which is why adapters are needed in the first place) sits directly on the jack.

If you want, I'll take some pictures and send along with dimmensions.

Old 05-30-2009, 05:11 AM
Rauzer
Road Captain

Originally Posted by 04fxdwgi
I eliminated the problem by making some (3) "adapters" from Kindorf channel and angle brackets and hard bolting them to the jack itself and lining everything with rubber sheeting.

If you want, I'll take some pictures and send along with dimmensions.
Yes Pictures!!

One of my adapter blocks is seperating, looks like it's sliding apart.

Old 05-30-2009, 07:34 AM
Black Bart
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=Rauzer;5068391]Yes Pictures!!

+1 on the pictures!

Bart

Old 05-30-2009, 10:51 AM
04fxdwgi
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rauzer
Yes Pictures!!

One of my adapter blocks is seperating, looks like it's sliding apart.
That's exactly what mine did, "slid apart".

Will photo and measure em later, and send them after I finish my "chores".

Quick Reply: Sears Yellow Jack & 2007 FXDC Super Glide