Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Planning my first long solo mission to the UP of Michigan

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 09:34 AM
MZBuckeye
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Planning my first long solo mission to the UP of Michigan

I'm planning a 3 day trip to the UP of Michigan because I really want to see the Soo Locks and the Mackinac Bridge. Here's my route:

http://*******.com/michigansolo

Unfortunately I'll be heading through Ann Arbor (lol)

The plan is to leave around noon on a Tuesday, ride to Alpena, MI (about 7 hrs), grab some dinner in town and a cheap motel room. There seems to be several right in downtown Alpena. Then get up early, and ride to Sault St. Marie for the Soo Locks boat tour, should take about 3 hours from Alpena. I'll try to leave early enough to catch the 1030 boat tour, otherwise it'll be the 1pm.

Then, after the tour, head back to the base of the bridge and set up camp at the Straits State Park. I just reserved a campsite just off the beach, facing the bridge. Then, in the morning, hit the road and be home in Brunswick by dinner time.

This will be my first long solo trip, about 1100 miles over 3 days, which isn't too demanding really. I'll pick up a tire plug kit (and learn how to use it lol), bring my cellphone and credit cards, along with my camping gear.

Any tips? Advice? Anyone that's been across that bridge or on the Locks tour that wants to chime in?

Ride safe guys. I just love this bike, and all I want to do is tour!

Old 05-28-2009, 09:47 AM
shimmon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get you an osu flag and ride thru ann arbor slow...

Old 05-28-2009, 11:29 AM
Atomic Injector
Cruiser

When are you doing this trip? I'm going around Lake Michigan in Aug. and hanging around Mackinac for a couple of days. A group of about 16 of us will be doing a light house tour around the lake, should be pretty sweet. Not sure if your bike will be on a boat, but if it is you will need tie down straps to strap it to the floor of the boat. Good luck!

Old 05-28-2009, 11:47 AM
oppirs
Road Warrior

I heard from others on here that the Mack Bridge is under construction? The south bounds lanes are closed.

So it seems like your on pavement northbound and on the grate southbound, should be a fun ride back. Make sure to glance down, I would, but heights don't bother me.

Old 05-28-2009, 12:10 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

i would love to come with man! i wish i had more time i could take!

Old 05-28-2009, 12:29 PM
Bugger
Cruiser

Heading up that way the later part of July. Spent the better part of my life in the Petoskey-Charlevoix-Traverse City area which is down the coast of Lake Michigan and not that far from the "Big Mac". Wilderness State Park is a much better place to camp. Then you are just a hop skip and a jump from Northern Michigan's version of the "Tail of the Dragon". Shore Drive from just north of Cross Village down to Harbor Springs has got some fun twisties and is just a beutiful ride along a bluff hundreds of feet above Lake Michigan. As for the "Big Mac", avoid if windy, stay on the outside lane (metal grid for surface on inner lanes) don't look down, stop at a restroom when/if you make it to the other side. It's a thrill! The Soo locks, not that big a deal. Time better spent going up to White Fish Point. Dip your feet in 42 degree water of Lake Superior. Man, I could go on and on and would love to show you arround "Up North".

Old 05-28-2009, 12:48 PM
MZBuckeye
Road Warrior

Good tips, thanks! I really want to do that Soo Locks tour though, I'm fascinated by those huge freighters and whatnot.

I'm planning on doing it the second week of July. I just found a cheap motel called the "40 Winks" in Alpena, $45 a night. Sounds like I might have to take a second trip up there later in the year and check out that Michigan Dragon's Tail and Whitefish Point, I don't think I'll have enough time to do it all in one go this time.

Old 05-28-2009, 01:29 PM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

Sounds like you got it pretty well planned. My only suggestion would be to take more time and see more stuff. I did a tour around lake michigan from Chicago and spent 10 days doing it. I felt rushed. There are so many things to see and do on that trip that next time I do it, I will take at least two weeks. (While in Macinaw City, take a little time to do some parasailing. They fly you right by the bridge and it is a great time.) And by the way, riding the bridge, even on the grate, is no big deal. Just relax and enjoy the ride.

Old 05-28-2009, 01:41 PM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You will love it. the Army stationed me at Central Michigan University for three years teaching ROTC, and before I left, two of our friends took us on a three day tour of the UP. It's a beautiful place!

Old 05-28-2009, 06:10 PM
mtnlvr
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You can't take the same way back home! Follow Lake Michigan back. Or circle Huron if they'll let you back in the States.

Quick Reply: Planning my first long solo mission to the UP of Michigan