Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Planning my first long solo mission to the UP of Michigan

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 07:31 PM
vet767
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LWOS
+1 on Copper Harbor. We did a 1 week UP bike trip last July. OUTSTANDING. The Roads in the UP are a bikers dream come true. We had a ball, and are going back again in August we loved it so much. Yea, my thrill was riding the Mighty Mac last year......all the way northbound on grates......and I was a first year rider, afraid of heights to boot.
We went EARLY in the morning before it got too windy, and I just let my bike's tire wobble on the grates as it wanted to do, and used a light grip. But I sucked it up and now I can say I did it!!!

Go to AMAZON.COM or any bookstore and get yourself this book. "MOTORCYCLING ACROSS MICHIGAN", by William Murphy & Arbutus Press, Traverse City, Mi.
ISBN 0-97661046-9

It's got a wealth of information about riding your bike through out Michigan. Has all the great Motorcycle Tour Routes in map form with Mileage from city to city, places to stay, points of interest, attractions, phone numbers of motorcycle dealers and repair facilities, emergency phone numbers in each county..... it's the best book for bikers who plan on doing any biking in and around Michigan. Examples are : Lake Superior Circle Tour that takes you through Minnesota and Ontario, Lake Huron Tour, Eastern UP Tour, Western UP Tour, Lake Michigan Circle Tour, Sleeping Bear Dunes Tour.... etc.

BTW, They're having some sort of bike rally in St Ignace the second weekend in August
Thanks forthe tip on the rally. I haven't been to the UP in a while and since I ain't working maybe that would be a good time to go back. I think a sleeping bag and two weeks of roaming the back roads might do it.Kudos on the Big Mac. I have been over it twice, once the year it opened, in my grandads 56 Chevy station wagon and again in 1988 with my stepson in a GMC pickup. Scared the crap out of me both times

Last edited by vet767; 05-31-2009 at 07:39 PM.
Old 05-31-2009, 07:37 PM
jackyl
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

you will live it, i do it all the time with the oldlady. you must check out the falls. jackyl

Old 05-31-2009, 07:48 PM
LWOS
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

VET 767....If that's the case, then you should get the book. It's the best source of information on the best roads to travel and what's along the way. I wish they had a book like this for every state in the Union. It really is that good and I highly recommend it.

BTW...... Ogemaw Hill Bike Week ( in West Branch) is July 12th thru July 19th at the Ogemaw County Fair Grounds. For informatin, GO TO WWW.OGEMAWHILLSBIKEWEEK.COM for a list of events and costs. Tents allowed in campground only, but they do have other areas for campers, trailers etc.

Last edited by LWOS; 05-31-2009 at 07:50 PM.
Old 05-31-2009, 07:52 PM
LWOS
Road Warrior

Jackyl......... That bare fender on your SB has to be murder on her tush. Unless she's blessed and rides her own bike.

Old 05-31-2009, 08:02 PM
LWOS
Road Warrior

Here is a website that you can sign up to get a free email news letter about biking and events throughout Upper Peninsula of Michigan...including discounts on places to stay, food etc.

http://www.upcruising.com

Old 05-31-2009, 08:21 PM
MZBuckeye
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the great tips. Unfortunately, I just can't go for any longer than I am. I'm going to cover as much ground as possible, but 3 days is all I got. One day up, one day there and one day back. Perhaps towards the end of the summer I can do it again, and go to the dunes and the falls, but I think that riding to the locks, doing the tour, riding to Whitefish Point, listening to Gordon Lightfoot, and riding back to my campsite will wipe out my day up there.

I will definitely get that book. If that area is as good as you guys say, I'm close enough that I can certainly make other trips.

Old 05-31-2009, 08:25 PM
LWOS
Road Warrior

Yep.....it will. Just take warm clothing with you........because it gets chilly at night in the UP, even in July. Being that close to "The Lakes" really cause quite a temperature drop at night.......and be ready for Rain. Again, the lakes pick up moisture during the day and you're bound to run into isolated TS.

Once you've been to the UP...... you're going to go back. It's a whole different world and a bikers dream to ride.

Old 05-31-2009, 08:31 PM
MZBuckeye
Road Warrior

I certainly will be prepared for rain and cold, thanks for the tip. I need to get some use out of my new heated seat anyway

Old 05-31-2009, 08:45 PM
LWOS
Road Warrior

Maybe this might interest you, since it's closer to Ohio.
Michigan is putting on it's first 2009 STATE H.O.G RALLY in Lansing. It's going to be held over August 27-29th. IT'S ABOUT TIME MICHIGAN HAD IT'S OWN H.O.G. RALLY.

See attached link for registration info.

http://www.mistatehogrally.com/

Old 05-31-2009, 11:32 PM
woody69
Cruiser

You will love the U.P. And thats coming from a troll that lives under the bridge!

Quick Reply: Planning my first long solo mission to the UP of Michigan