Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Planning my first long solo mission to the UP of Michigan

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 09:45 AM
MZBuckeye
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, so I decided to rework my trip a bit, and take Tuesday off work and leave early Tuesday morning. I decided against a stop in Alpena, and just hammer it out and get to Straits state park in one day. Here's my new plan, based on some tips in this thread:

Home to campgrounds, Tuesday

http://*******.com/hometocampsite

Campgrounds to Soo Locks, then along lakeshore to Whitefish Point (Gordon Lightfoot fix), back to campgrounds

http://*******.com/campsoowhitefish

Campgrounds to home along western coastline, through Traverse City and back home

http://*******.com/camphome

Lots of riding, some cool sightseeing, and great camping. Thoughts?

Last edited by MZBuckeye; 05-30-2009 at 06:09 PM.
Old 05-30-2009, 02:58 PM
Johnnyunlisted
Novice

That is a much better planned route. There isn't much to see in Michigan while on I-75 but the rides along the coasts should provide some real nice scenic views. I've only seen the locks from the International Bridge heading over to Canada, but they looked cool from above. When you pass Torch Lake in the northwestern LP stop and take a look if you have the time. It's supposed to be one of the most beautiful lakes in the country.

Old 05-30-2009, 05:35 PM
08fxdf43202
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MZBuckeye
Okay, so I decided to rework my trip a bit...

http://*******.com/camptohome

... some cool sightseeing, and great camping. Thoughts?
You need to diverge off of rt 31 at Levering, go west to Cross Village, and travel south 0n 119 / N Lakeshore Dr / The tunnel of Trees through Harbor Springs and back onto rt 31.

http://www.trails.com/tcatalog_trail...lid=XFA117-019

Old 05-30-2009, 06:09 PM
MZBuckeye
Road Warrior

Okay, that'll make for a pretty long trip home, but who knows when I'll get back over there again, so that looks like a good suggestion. Updated route:

http://*******.com/camphome

Old 05-30-2009, 07:43 PM
Poisond 08 Fatbob
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take your digital camera with extra battery and both fully charged!
Have a save fun trip.

Old 05-30-2009, 10:18 PM
cdouthitt
Intermediate

God's country up here...just sayin'

The bridge...not sure about the construction, but I'm sure you could check AAA michigan and find out. As for riding over the bridge...I hope you have great weather...and make sure you don't wimp out and miss out on riding on the open grate...and don't forget to look down. As for the Traverse City area...some GREAT roads around here, if you have the time ride (and if it is nice), ride up the old mission peninsula up the center, then ride back along the west edge. M119 Tunnel of trees is a must. Thing is, you're only scratching the surface, I could take down some scenic twisties in the leelanau peninsula that would blow your mind. You really need a local to show you the great roads.

Old 05-31-2009, 02:25 AM
timberwolfz28
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

route your self a little further west (about an hour) of ann arbor, and you can join us for our ride for Autism. I runa non profit group and we put on a motorcycle every year named "Hayley's Ride". this year we are on track for 300 bikes. July 25th is this years date. Live bands, BBQ, tons of stuff to give away, etc. Takes place in Battle Creek

Old 05-31-2009, 06:36 AM
dmftoy1
Tourer

You need to diverge off of rt 31 at Levering, go west to Cross Village, and travel south 0n 119 / N Lakeshore Dr / The tunnel of Trees through Harbor Springs and back onto rt 31.
This is a GREAT suggestion . ..just came through and that's a really nice route. It doesn't add all that much time and it's alot of fun.

The bridge IS under construction ..at least it was on Friday. Pavement northbound, gratings southbound. If you managed to scrape up enough time to run south through Wisconsin sometime I'd highly recommend state highway 55 . ..we had a blast on that yesterday.

My only other suggestion is take rain gear and enough camping gear to keep yourself really warm. It can get cold up there after a day of riding. (was 36 degree's in Marquette when we woke up yesterday . . )

Have a safe ride.

Regards,
Dave

Old 05-31-2009, 06:40 PM
vet767
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If it was me I would figger how to add a couple days Take MI 28 west thru Munising, Pick up US 41 and ride it to the end, just north of Copper Harbor Then come back on MI 26 all the way to US 2 which you can take all the way east back to St Ignace and then home. If you are going to ride to the UP you owe it to yourself to see the UP. I lived there for a few years in the early80"s and don't believe you will find any place to match it. There may be equals but not better. And copper harbor in the fall is spectacular.

Old 05-31-2009, 07:10 PM
LWOS
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

+1 on Copper Harbor. We did a 1 week UP bike trip last July. OUTSTANDING. The Roads in the UP are a bikers dream come true. We had a ball, and are going back again in August we loved it so much. Yea, my thrill was riding the Mighty Mac last year......all the way northbound on grates......and I was a first year rider, afraid of heights to boot.
We went EARLY in the morning before it got too windy, and I just let my bike's tire wobble on the grates as it wanted to do, and used a light grip. But I sucked it up and now I can say I did it!!!

Go to AMAZON.COM or any bookstore and get yourself this book. "MOTORCYCLING ACROSS MICHIGAN", by William Murphy & Arbutus Press, Traverse City, Mi.
ISBN 0-97661046-9

It's got a wealth of information about riding your bike through out Michigan. Has all the great Motorcycle Tour Routes in map form with Mileage from city to city, places to stay, points of interest, attractions, phone numbers of motorcycle dealers and repair facilities, emergency phone numbers in each county..... it's the best book for bikers who plan on doing any biking in and around Michigan. Examples are : Lake Superior Circle Tour that takes you through Minnesota and Ontario, Lake Huron Tour, Eastern UP Tour, Western UP Tour, Lake Michigan Circle Tour, Sleeping Bear Dunes Tour, Southeastern & Southwestern tours, Vineyard and Orchard bike routes and the best routes for Fall color Routes
BTW, They're having some sort of bike rally in St Ignace the second weekend in August

Last edited by LWOS; 05-31-2009 at 07:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Planning my first long solo mission to the UP of Michigan