Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To Carb or Not to Carb (EFI), That is the ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009 | 11:09 PM
Smklos
|
Stage IV
Default To Carb or Not to Carb (EFI), That is the ?

Hi Gang,

My last bike was a 95 Fatboy and having put her to rest 6 years ago I am looking to pick up a Dyna in the near future. Here's the question?

I have never owned a EFI bike, always carbureted. What is the general feeling looking at a 03-05 carbureted versus an EFI 06 or later?

Besides price (newer vs. older) does anyone feel they have given anything up with the EFI or are you totally ok with it?

Your input is appreciated!

Thanks

Old 05-28-2009 | 12:55 AM
gregbenner
Road Captain

Personally I can't imagine why anyone would even consider a carb bike , unless it was really cheap. Kinda like comparing disc brakes to drum brakes (imo).

Old 05-28-2009 | 06:07 AM
moosh
Road Captain

just the opposite with me ..have a 05 Low rider carbed and have no problem passing same bike with efi after they had a 400.00 tune...much simpler operation, for me anyways

Old 05-28-2009 | 07:03 AM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member

Depends on what you're comfortable with and how much you intend to modify you're bike. It took me allot of time and hundreds of dollars to get my FI dialed in after a simple intake and exhaust change. On the other hand once it's done there's no need to mess with it ever again. I would rather have a carb, any fool including myself can dial in one carburetor, the most expensive jet kit I ever bought was $250 and it came with two air cleaners. You can't even get an FI tuner for $250.

Old 05-28-2009 | 07:28 AM
MZBuckeye
Road Warrior

I'm very happy with my EFI. My engine is stock, stock pipes and intake, and the FI is flawless. I originally wanted an FXDXT, but I passed because I wanted FI. I've had carbed bikes in the past, and they're fine, but FI is just easier to live with, IMO.

Old 05-28-2009 | 07:29 AM
thomaskray
Road Master

I much prefer a carb. Classic. Easy and cheap to tune. And I rather enjoy toying with it. My opinion is that if EFI was so superior, why don't race cars use it? Maybe some foreign race cars do but I've never seen it.

Old 05-28-2009 | 08:00 AM
sknyfats
Road Captain

I too "like" a carb'd bike - just feels more "traditional" and non-technical to me - however, I will take (and have had 2) EFI bikes any day of the week.

Someone mentioned the tuning process for an EFI when you do an intake & exhaust change. My experience with these has been a cakewalk. All you do is find the pipes you want & the air cleaner setup you want - and then shop for the best EFI tuner that has preprogrammed maps for the exact same bike/year/instake/exhaust setup - and presto - you plug it all in & go. It's literally been that easy for most of the bikes I've seen/worked on with only 1 exception.

The second thing is, my neighbors sure do appreciate me having an EFI bike. I don't have to do the whole warm up routine as needed with a carb'd bike. I simply turn the switch - listen to the little "eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeow" noise for a couple seconds, hit start & pretty much away I go. The EFI takes care of everything, no matter what the air is like outside that day or how hot/cold the motor is.

I'll say this much - rarely have I ever heard folks on EFI bikes say "I wish my bike had a carb"; instead, I constantly hear carb folks say "Man, that fuel injection sure is nice..."

Just my 2 cents.

Old 05-28-2009 | 08:05 AM
Dave54
Cruiser
Smile

Originally Posted by sknyfats
I too "like" a carb'd bike - just feels more "traditional" and non-technical to me - however, I will take (and have had 2) EFI bikes any day of the week.

Someone mentioned the tuning process for an EFI when you do an intake & exhaust change. My experience with these has been a cakewalk. All you do is find the pipes you want & the air cleaner setup you want - and then shop for the best EFI tuner that has preprogrammed maps for the exact same bike/year/instake/exhaust setup - and presto - you plug it all in & go. It's literally been that easy for most of the bikes I've seen/worked on with only 1 exception.

The second thing is, my neighbors sure do appreciate me having an EFI bike. I don't have to do the whole warm up routine as needed with a carb'd bike. I simply turn the switch - listen to the little "eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeow" noise for a couple seconds, hit start & pretty much away I go. The EFI takes care of everything, no matter what the air is like outside that day or how hot/cold the motor is.

I'll say this much - rarely have I ever heard folks on EFI bikes say "I wish my bike had a carb"; instead, I constantly hear carb folks say "Man, that fuel injection sure is nice..."

Just my 2 cents.
I wish my other bike had carb

Old 05-28-2009 | 08:09 AM
Goddahavit
Tourer

Originally Posted by sknyfats

Just my 2 cents.

I wish my bike had a carb........HE HE....
Idle sucks with efi, and I never had issues with any of my carbs after a change in jets.
no efi, no controller, no fuel pump, no tuner needed...
just my couple of cents....

Old 05-28-2009 | 08:09 AM
sknyfats
Road Captain

Originally Posted by thomaskray
I much prefer a carb. Classic. Easy and cheap to tune. And I rather enjoy toying with it. My opinion is that if EFI was so superior, why don't race cars use it? Maybe some foreign race cars do but I've never seen it.
Aaaactually....NASCAR will be moving that way eventually - but, then again - there's not much realism left in that sport to begin with. The main reason - not the only reason, but the MAIN reason NASCAR doesn't allow fuel injection (yes, it's illegal to run it - many would love to) is because they don't feel they have the capability to properly police it. You can do a lot with electronics that aren't visible to the naked eye...of course, that's debatable...here's a reallly good article on this topic (there are TONS out there tho, of course)
http://www.stockcarracing.com/techar...ion/index.html

Quick Reply: To Carb or Not to Carb (EFI), That is the ?